uncomfortable words?

Happy2

Legend Member
Modern swear words do not seem to have the impact they once did,
Most ppl just use them in everyday conversation without understanding the actual meaning or reference.

I perfer the old Testament versions,
People hear them, not sure what you exactly have said, think about then get offended.
By that time you have walked away laughing :p .

Example.
Most unclean,
Little Horn,
Son of perdition,
Foulest of filth,

And many more,
My father would have liked you
He was never happier than when he insulted someone and they laughed ,shook his hand or clapped him on the shoulder Then 20 minutes later on they twigged to it

Reactions: Buk

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
Hehe lots of great words to baffle and confuse people who have no idea you have insulted them lol

FRENCHIFY,
BESCUMBER

And my personal fav :
COCCYDYNIA

Sophisticated is another good one - the word sophistry came to be associated with intellectual charlatanism. Someone who is a sophist is someone who uses misleading arguments on purpose is therefore sophisticated!

Synonyms of cute : cagey (also cagy), crafty, cunning, artful, designing, devious, dodgy [chiefly British], foxy, guileful, scheming, shrewd, slick, sly, subtle, tricky, wily

Buk

Diamond Member
A lot of people seem to quote 'Moist' and 'Panty' as uncomfortable words, but I don't really see why.

Personally I'm a fan of moist panties. ;)

The words that I find uncomfortable are the ones that are used incorrectly most often: Literal, Decimate, Effect/Affect, Unique, and Imply/Infer.

In University English courses we have discussions about how words mean something because that's how people use them, but this isn't true. (I argue, at length...) Words in English have meanings because they are formed of words we have used in the past, evolving a language to describe and indicate and communicate for our society to function. :bookworm:

Literal means Literal... it does NOT mean figurative! I don't care if that's how it's used now, that's WRONG!

Decimate means 'to destroy one in ten', from the 'deci' root as in decimal, and decimeter. If you defeat your enemies you may have decimated, but if you kill every last one you have ANNIHILATED them, not decimated them. Decimation was a punishment the Romans used on their legionnaires: a misconduct had the Legate/Legatus stand at guard with his personal Legion and required the offending legion to kill one in ten of its own members. Ouch. :hurting:

A cause has an effect. You affect something.

Unique means one of a kind. It is an absolute state, and something cannot be more or less unique. It is either unique, or it is not. Well Massage in Midland is a unique establishment... This is not a judgement or indication of quality, it is simply a fact, there is no other Well Massage. While the place is lovely, and it has some similarities to other establishments, it is not identical, nor is it derivative enough to be considered a 'knock-off'. Thus it is unique. It is not a clone of XXXX. It is not less unique than Paradise.

I imply. You infer. When someone says 'you implied', they are nearly always incorrect.

Words have meanings. Changing them is illogical. :vulcan:[/q Purplefixer you are correct. Let's not forget that language usage and phraseology is constantly evolving, particularly with the social media slang and though I like grammar and correct grammatical usage, I still prefer good sex above all. Whether I have a great organism or orgasm with my lady, I'll be doing the best I can, irrespective of spelling. And as I tell her often, with me lovely lady YMMV :)

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
...Sophisticated is another good one - the word sophistry came to be associated with intellectual charlatanism. Someone who is a sophist is someone who uses misleading arguments on purpose is therefore sophisticated!
You make it sound like a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Miss Chloe

A Sensual & Kinky Affair
Diamond Member
That pesky X that people add to Esspresso. I want to correct them but I know it's rude :(

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
Grammar and terminological inexactitudes ( see even our spell check on here doesn't know that word :p) are my bug bear
What about the complete lack of understanding surrounding they're, their & there, theirs and there's - apostrophes are much maligned!! Lets not even add quotation marks - and I could go on and on on this subject lol -

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Yeah Grandma is definitely inexcusable...and what about your and your? Pfftt...

Buk

Diamond Member
Grammar and terminological inexactitudes ( see even our spell check on here doesn't know that word :p) are my bug bear
What about the complete lack of understanding surrounding they're, their & there, theirs and there's - apostrophes are much maligned!! Lets not even add quotation marks - and I could go on and on on this subject lol -
Where....we're....I mean, were you a teacher in a passed....I mean, past life? I guess your....I mean, you're really a teacher now:)

Happy2

Legend Member
I heard Mr Little and His XLNC swooning and hitting the floor from sheer XTC after reading your post Amanda
Question is Will you become Mrs Little or will it be Mrs XLNC

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
I heard Mr Little and His XLNC swooning and hitting the floor from sheer XTC after reading your post Amanda
I believe that the correct response to your question involves a raspberry and a loud resounding not on YOUR nelly!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
And where pray tell is MY nelly
Be polite
Arh Happy that be a english phrase I did growd up wiv back in my youth!! And not on your nelly is cockney rhyming slang for Life - Nelly Duff". Nelly Duff is puff (breath) in Cockney rhyming slang. 'Not on your Nelly'

Buk

Diamond Member
You can have the gold star young man!!! :bookworm::bookworm:
"......young man." That's the nicest compliment I've received in about 10 years :) Mind you, I don't feel as old as XLNC, Mrlittle, happy2,Pirate,bepp and others but don't tell them that :)

Happy2

Legend Member
"......young man." That's the nicest compliment I've received in about 10 years :) Mind you, I don't feel as old as XLNC, Mrlittle, happy2,Pirate,bepp and others but don't tell them that :)
Oil you ain't on that flight yet I'm sure one of the people you insulted have contacts in the airline industry Or Al Qaida

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
I believe one is only as old as the lady they feel lol - so Im guessing you are about 30 with a maturity beyond your years :D

Buk

Diamond Member
I believe one is only as old as the lady they feel lol - so Im guessing you are about 30 with a maturity beyond your years :D
Haha I love your reasoning and your maths!! And she is 32.....just slightly older...or is that younger, than me?:)

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
You read my mind. I shall duel MrLittle for Amanda's (note proper apostrophe usage) hand in marriage.
I believe that the correct response to your question involves a raspberry and a loud resounding not on YOUR nelly!! :hilarious::hilarious:
:(:confused::arghh:
How about a ménage à trois with us then? No lifelong commitment involved. The three of us can huddle around a computer, heckle the other forum members and correct their grammar gaffes. Like me, you're probably soaking wet just fantasising about it, I'm sure. :woot:

Happy2

Legend Member
How about a ménage à trois with us then? No lifelong commitment involved. The three of us can huddle around a computer, heckle the other forum members and correct their grammar gaffes. Like me, you're probably soaking wet just fantasising about it, I'm sure. :woot:[/quote]

Where's the Oh dear God I feel dirty just reading this, button

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
How about a ménage à trois with us then? No lifelong commitment involved. The three of us can huddle around a computer, heckle the other forum members and correct their grammar gaffes. Like me, you're probably soaking wet just fantasising about it, I'm sure. :woot:

Where's the Oh dear God I feel dirty just reading this, button[/quote]
Ahhh the corrections and deletion we could perform. We could be the forum epistloleans, the experts in linguistic morphocology - the Aristotelian body of grammatical philosophy. Ahh nivana

Happy2

Legend Member
Ahhh the corrections and deletion we could perform. We could be the forum epistloleans, the experts in linguistic morphocology - the Aristotelian body of grammatical philosophy. Ahh nivana[/quote]
Ahh nirvana?
I preferred Dave Grohl in Foo Fighters myself

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
Ahhh the corrections and deletion we could perform. We could be the forum epistloleans, the experts in linguistic morphocology - the Aristotelian body of grammatical philosophy. Ahh nivana
Ahh nirvana?
I preferred Dave Grohl in Foo Fighters myself[/quote]
Bugger. Typing on an iPhone is challenging plus nirvana is so dead boring and yesterday

Happy2

Legend Member
Ahh nirvana?
I preferred Dave Grohl in Foo Fighters myself
Bugger. Typing on an iPhone is challenging plus nirvana is so dead boring and yesterday[/quote]
Oh come on Amanda. A billion Buddhist can't be that wrong
They love Nirvana