uncomfortable words?

purplefixer

Silver Member
A lot of people seem to quote 'Moist' and 'Panty' as uncomfortable words, but I don't really see why.

Personally I'm a fan of moist panties. ;)

The words that I find uncomfortable are the ones that are used incorrectly most often: Literal, Decimate, Effect/Affect, Unique, and Imply/Infer.

In University English courses we have discussions about how words mean something because that's how people use them, but this isn't true. (I argue, at length...) Words in English have meanings because they are formed of words we have used in the past, evolving a language to describe and indicate and communicate for our society to function. :bookworm:

Literal means Literal... it does NOT mean figurative! I don't care if that's how it's used now, that's WRONG!

Decimate means 'to destroy one in ten', from the 'deci' root as in decimal, and decimeter. If you defeat your enemies you may have decimated, but if you kill every last one you have ANNIHILATED them, not decimated them. Decimation was a punishment the Romans used on their legionnaires: a misconduct had the Legate/Legatus stand at guard with his personal Legion and required the offending legion to kill one in ten of its own members. Ouch. :hurting:

A cause has an effect. You affect something.

Unique means one of a kind. It is an absolute state, and something cannot be more or less unique. It is either unique, or it is not. Well Massage in Midland is a unique establishment... This is not a judgement or indication of quality, it is simply a fact, there is no other Well Massage. While the place is lovely, and it has some similarities to other establishments, it is not identical, nor is it derivative enough to be considered a 'knock-off'. Thus it is unique. It is not a clone of Wink. It is not less unique than Paradise.

I imply. You infer. When someone says 'you implied', they are nearly always incorrect.

Words have meanings. Changing them is illogical. :vulcan:

Dallas

Legend Member
It's probably not any word in particular, but rather the way it's said. the intent behind it and the environment that it's used. For instance there are things I'd enjoy saying during dirty talk that I'd be uncomfortable saying to my boss :rolleyes:

MrBig

Diamond Member
Unusual.
No mention of the 'C' word.

It's probably on top of my list, hence never use it myself (the word itself) and I tend to find more and more young ladies use this word freely.

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
What about the word "" SORRY ""??? So easily used/misused

Last edited:

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
That C word! Its a negative non constructive word that has become everyone's stock answer - male or female, its common part of most peoples curriculum vitae. Its so sad that now days no one say I CAN instead!!
Oh and I dont like that other C word either - that also ends in T!

T

Tania Admin

That C word! Its a negative non constructive word that has become everyone's stock answer - male or female, its common part of most peoples curriculum vitae. Its so sad that now days no one say I CAN instead!!
Oh and I dont like that other C word either - that also ends in T!
When I use the C U Next Tuesday word it's most definitely deserving to whomever is the receiver. Admittedly I don't use it very often.

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
When I use the C U Next Tuesday word it's most definitely deserving to whomever is the reliever. Admittedly I don't use it very often.
agree - some people just need that as no other word does them justice!! I rarely use too! I usually refer to it as the tnuc word lol

Gobble_Doc

Diamond Member
agree - some people just need that as no other word does them justice!! I rarely use too! I usually refer to it as the tnuc word lol
I was working at Curtin when it changed from WAIT. They initially wanted to use Curtin University of New Technology before someone pointed out that it would be abbreviated.
GD

chibi

Diamond Member
I hate it when people use the word "verse" as though it is a form of "versus"
eg:
"Who will you verse in the semi-finals?"
"I will be versing them at their home ground."

That actually means:
"Who will you read poetry to in the semi-finals?"
"I will be reading poetry to them at their home ground."

Happy2

Legend Member
It also seems most people of the world know where we live
Except for us, so many of us seem to think we live in a place called austraya

baldie

Gold Member
I don't really worry about terms, I just hate it when people are using generalised derogatory terms and they have double standards when they do it. Like it's okay to abuse some people, but for others it's not okay, even if it's for the same reasons.

Really don't understand the discriminatory mindset.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Don`t like it when ask what SHE or He would like, these people have names and if your unsure of what they are then ask...

JustMe

Gold Member
Especially at McDonald's eh! Or a clothing store.
Try a pub or bottle shop instead - they don't generally run out.

Amanda Secrets

Diamond Member
I was told by me mudder when I was a wee lass that I could NOT say bloody as it was a swear word. For the following response I distinctly recall having a bar of foul tasting soap put in me gob!!
"bloody's in the bible bloody's in the book, if you dont bloody believe me have a bloody look"
apparently I was a rebellious 12 year old :muted::muted::smuggrin:

XTREME

I AM NOT A ROBOT
Gold Member
Unusual.
No mention of the 'C' word.

It's probably on top of my list, hence never use it myself (the word itself) and I tend to find more and more young ladies use this word freely.
its a nasty lil word. i always hear it when people are argueing and fighting.

MrJwhite

Gold Member
Modern swear words do not seem to have the impact they once did,
Most ppl just use them in everyday conversation without understanding the actual meaning or reference.

I perfer the old Testament versions,
People hear them, not sure what you exactly have said, think about then get offended.
By that time you have walked away laughing :p .

Example.
Most unclean,
Little Horn,
Son of perdition,
Foulest of filth,

And many more,