• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Rochelle's Political Thread

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Do you guys feel like discussing it? :icon_scra

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

W

wcmonger

Re: Carbon tax

Total waste of time!!

Im with Andrew Bolt. GIllard is an incompetent fraud .

Labour are a bunch of F--wits!!!!

Bob Brown needs to be shot!!!

Is there anything labour HAVENT cocked up???

I better not get too fired up.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member

It is actually carbon "TAX" ...*ka-ching* *bling-bling*. Another $$$ pot for the govt. It's all about economic mismanagement and how to find more *ka-ching* to fund it.

P

Perth boy

Total waste of time!!

Im with Andrew Bolt. GIllard is an incompetent fraud .

Labour are a bunch of F--wits!!!!

Bob Brown needs to be shot!!!

Is there anything labour HAVENT cocked up???

I better not get too fired up.

Was not going to coment but this says it all!

Tannerone

Gold Member

I think we should suggest that all politicians be charged a Carbon Tax for breathing. If they want to not pay the tax, then the answer is simple --- stop breathing (they only breathe to create hot air anyway).

Of coure we could also stop buying anything with a paper content as this involves cutting down trees, which 'inhale' carbon. And also make it illegal for those tons of advertising junk mail to be printed. Simply send it all via email, then it can be auto-blocked.

viper

Gold Member

To me why don`t they just target industry that are known to have large carbon output and impose newer tighter rules to lower emissions rather then tax the public. They are doing it with all new cars why not other industry.

H

Hardwood

Carbon Tax.

First, carbon.

From Wikipedia…

Carbon is the 15th most abundant element in the Earth’s crust and the fourth most abundant element in the universe by mass after hydrogen, helium, and oxygen. It is present in all known life forms, and in the human body carbon is the second most abundant element by mass (about 18.5%) after oxygen. This abundance, together with the unique diversity of organic compounds and their unusual polymer-forming ability at the temperatures commonly encountered on Earth, make this element the chemical basis of all known life.

Now tax.

From me…..

Tax is the most abundant element removed from the wallets of all good and hard-working people around the Earth and the entire universe and cheeses people off far more than all the hydrogen, helium and oxygen put together. It is present in all known life forms, goods, services, whether organic or not making it the financial pain in the butt of all known life.

Now lets put the two together….

Carbon Tax

So what can be worse than tax? Yes, carbon tax! How can you tax the chemical basis of all known life? The whole thing is a sick joke, we’re all going to be ripped off.........

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member

I`m struggling to understand how the government is charging me for a carbon tax but gives me about $20 for doing so...

Fudd

Foundation Member

To boil it right down.......the Government is imposing a Carbon Tax for a period of 3 - 5 years (of around $23/tonne of carbon emissions) until the ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme) is established. The tax is NOT being imposed on the public but on industries that emit carbon where their processes involve the burning of fossil fuels. There will be some exemptions, eg agriculture & petrol.

Obviously, if an industry has to pay a Carbon Tax to produce its products, it stands to reason that the wholesale cost of that product to retailers will increase as industries claw back the tax it has had to pay.

Because the cost of products should increase marginally (and price increases will be monitored to prevent "gouging"), the Government is proposing a tax cut to tax payers (not involed in the emission of carbon pollutants) as well as an increase to those on pensions to offset potential increases. The cost increases and tax cuts have been prepared by the Treasury based on economic models.

Now, to the prophets of doom & gloom....when the Liberal Government introduced the GST, there were those who were saying that the world as we knew it then was going to collapse......did it? The GST was the most significant tax related change that we saw in this country and I saw no sign of the world imploding then or now.

Fudd

oops - forgot to add the following website that provides a rough guide to taxpayers of the impact of the Carbon Tax on them.
https://www.cleanenergyfuture.gov.au/helping-households/household-assistance-estimator/

Last edited:

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member

I am a bit confused about how this all werks.
The govt wants to lead the world and look good at any cost.
To do that they pick an emotive world wide issue.

Australia must reduce it's carbon emmissions.
Coal Fired Power stations are huge gerenerators of carbon emissions.
Buttt If they are shut down where will the large coal miners that employ an army of Labour votors sell their coal.
If they can not then their labour voting employees will be really pissed when they do not have jobs.

SOOOOO. Do not force heavy industry which is heavily unionised and Labour friendly to cut their emissions just introduce a Tax on them.
Then spread the tax around so it is not such a burden that they have to shed jobs.

Its all smoke and mirrors. I can not see one definate area where emissions will be reduced.

A simple explanaton of a carbon trading scheme.

I have a weekly Garbage Service but my bin is only half full on bin days.
The guy next door has lots more garbage than will fit his bin.
He pays me to put his garbage in my Bin
Now we have two full bins and the same amount of combined garbage.

Ive been paid.
There is no surplus garbage but no less either.

Wots the point.

Fudd

Foundation Member

The govt wants to lead the world and look good at any cost. To do that they pick an emotive world wide issue.
A number of countries have implemented an Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS or Cap in Trade as it's also referred to). In 2006, the previous Howard Liberal government began looking into implementing an ETS and the findings contained in the report that was issued in 2007 somewhat parallels what this government is proposing.

Australia must reduce it's carbon emmissions. Coal Fired Power stations are huge gerenerators of carbon emissions. But if they are shut down where will the large coal miners that employ an army of Labour votors sell their coal. If they can not then their labour voting employees will be really pissed when they do not have jobs.
ETS is NOT about shuting down industries. It's about finding alternative least cost & low emission processes that, when measured nationally across ALL industries, are aimed at reducing up to 5% of the amount of CO2 pollution being pumped into the atmosphere by 2020.

Do not force heavy industry which is heavily unionised and Labour friendly to cut their emissions just introduce a Tax on them. Then spread the tax around so it is not such a burden that they have to shed jobs.
Economists universally do not support this approach. Their reasoning (identified in business models) is that taxing these industries WILL result in them closing down. Economists favour a "market based" approach were Carbon Credits can be traded. It is this approach that has been (or is being implemented) by those countries that have introduced ETS.

Its all smoke and mirrors. I can not see one definate area where emissions will be reduced.
Were a business is capable of reducing its carbon outputs, it has the potential to make money by on-selling its excess carbon credits to a business that cannot (or it's too costly to) reduce its carbon outputs. This is the basis of the market based approach (or Cap in Trade) of the ETS.

A simple explanaton of a carbon trading scheme.

I have a weekly Garbage Service but my bin is only half full on bin days. The guy next door has lots more garbage than will fit his bin. He pays me to put his garbage in my Bin. Now we have two full bins and the same amount of combined garbage. Ive been paid. There is no surplus garbage but no less either.
This is a good example, but it needs to be put into some context. You pay your land rates and you are entitled to a weekly bin collection. This is the same as being allocated a carbon credit. If your bin and that of your neighbour's are full, then it's things are as they are at the moment. However, you change your practices by recycling, not buying products in individual containers, bulk buying etc etc. As a result, you are able to reduce the amount of garbage that you put into your bin. Your neighbour, unfortunately, is unable to reduce the amount of his garbage, so he pays you for putting his garbage into your bin.

The benefits are that (i) the overall amount of garbage coming from both of you has been reduced because of your endeavours (ii) you are receiving further income by charging your neighbour to put his excess garbage into your bin and (iii) your neighbour is not going to be charged extra because his garbage exceeds the weekly 1 bin collection.

The above, in simple terms, is the genesis of what the ETS is all about. However, to kick start the process (and I reiterate that the previous Liberal government supported this as did Tony Abbott), a Carbon Tax needs to be established as the first stage so as to create a benchmark before to progressing to a full ETS.

Fudd

bushseeker

Foundation Member

what blows me away is Gillard ays 90% of households will be better off

(im in the 10%)

but seeing the criteria you soon see you will be better off if
- you are too old to work
- a single mum
- on any number of disability pensions
- too lazy to work overtime

and apparantly thats 90% of australians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shame shame shame

B

BigBlackCock

The duty of a leader is to lead - no matter sometimes how unpalatable a policy is. I think the Carbon Tax and its intentions are a good thing.

I wonder how many people here would say it's wonderful if it was proposed by Liberal Party? After all, John Howard did propose the concept of carbon tax was a good idea.

M

Mary Anne PA

I am at a loss to explain how being fully compensated (BIG IF) to pay the extra power and other costs, will reduce our consumption and carbon pollution!!.

Also when over 60% of the tax goes to compensation, trade exposed industries, public servants, banks an alike very little is left to stimulate environmentally sound processes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fudd

Foundation Member

what blows me away is Gillard ays 90% of households will be better off

(im in the 10%)

but seeing the criteria you soon see you will be better off if
- you are too old to work
- a single mum
- on any number of disability pensions
- too lazy to work overtime

and apparantly thats 90% of australians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shame shame shame

....so 90% of australians fall into those categories????....hmmmmm, me thinks that you're stretching a very long bow there Bushseeker.

F

Farm Boy

I am at a loss to explain how being fully compensated (BIG IF) to pay the extra power and other costs, will reduce our consumption and carbon pollution!!.

I am staying neutral but on Electricity it works like this The so called dirtiest power generators (Vic Brown coal ) is going to pay plenty (one day) something like the Colgar Wind farm not a lot thus having a advantage so what are investors going to build? Brown coal, wind, solar ,hydro, NUCLEAR ?

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have to admit that I find the whole carbon "activity" and debate in political ranks rather confusing but I do agree with BBC......the intentions are good. Fact is that we can't go on as we have in the past if we want to save what is left to be saved. And it will come with a price tag. I am actually quite happy to pay my way if it really makes a difference. But as so many things that have started off with good intentions I am suspicious about the efficiency of the carbon tax.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fudd

Foundation Member

Also when over 60% of the tax goes to compensation, trade exposed industries, public servants, banks an alike very little is left to stimulate environmentally sound processes.

...consumption is not the main target, it's production. The ETS (and the carbon tax) is aimed at those industries that burn fossil fuels in doing what they do. The compensation is aimed at us, the tax payers, to help offset any potential cost increases imposed by these industries. The ACCC will be (or has been) given extra powers to monitor prices to prevent price "gouging".

Fudd

Buzz

Foundation Member

I have to admit Im confused over it.
However I think the Government has missed the most obvious of situations.
Having a tax on high polluting industries will ..or shoudl encourage investment into cleaner renewable energy systems.
Dont you think there now exists a massive oportunity for Australia to become the worls leading in clean industry and energy. THink of the income that could bring to the country.
of course Abbott wont be mentioning anything about that.
will he ever have a constructive or creative idea. Its easy to knock and be critical.

F

Farm Boy

I have to admit Im confused over it.
However I think the Government has missed the most obvious of situations.
Having a tax on high polluting industries will ..or shoudl encourage investment into cleaner renewable energy systems.
Dont you think there now exists a massive oportunity for Australia to become the worls leading in clean industry and energy. THink of the income that could bring to the country.
of course Abbott wont be mentioning anything about that.
will he ever have a constructive or creative idea. Its easy to knock and be critical.

One little thing Buzz things like the Colgar Wind farm and it just happens to be the biggest in the southern hemisphere is using imported turbines ( Denmark) and owed by two oversees superannuation trusts US & Swiss,

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member

Well I did my bit.

While there was a decent government rebate I put 4.8 Kw of Solar Panel on my roof.
Now there is no Rebate and the state feed in tariff has been reduced but it is still cost effective.

Turns out that the home generated power input to the grid had too much of a take up.

In case people do not know how the solar panel system works.

The panels on my roof produce electricity which is inject in to the Western Power grid.
My meter reads what goes in in Killowatt hours.
My household draws electricity from the grid and my meter reads my consumption in Killowatt hours.
In summer I put in more than I take and get paid for the difference (as a credit)
In winter I take more than I put in and pay for what I use (from my credit until it runs out).
If there is a power failure my power goes off with every one else. My Solar Panels just sit there doing nothing.
Evidently it would not be a good thing if Western Power turned of the power to work on a problem and a couple of hundred solar panels were pumping electricity in to the lines.
Crispy critters result.
There are systems that are self supporting but you need a very expensive Battery and inverter sustem to run it (a sort of UPS).

So my energy consumption is green and clean.

I drive a gas guzling Turbocharged Rice Burner to compensate.

bushseeker

Foundation Member

....so 90% of australians fall into those categories????....hmmmmm, me thinks that you're stretching a very long bow there Bushseeker.
I would certainly hope so - Not that id belive what she says but she reckons 90% of households will be compensated

with the sort of criteria as to whose compensated and whose not I would have thought only 10% got compensated

but no it seems the 10% of people like me have to do ome damn heavy lifting for the above 90%

Holford

Gold Member

Sorry Fudd can't agree. The CT relies on market on market forces with competition to change behaviour of the high pollutors. Problem is that with a population of only only 22M people and basically an oligopolistic market their is not enough competition to change this behavior, simply business will pass on the cost to the consumer to pay for the CT. from past experience business will place a premium on this because they can.

The ACCC monitoring gouging is a joke as it is one of most useless departments in history with absolutely no backbone. It can not find any competition issues with petrol, banking, insurance, transport, etc etc. The govt is going to create a new dept to monitor all this shot is another job for the boys. How in the world are they going to determine how many tonnes of carbon a company will put into the air, since they can't even pick up companies putting toxic chemicals in the air, water and ground now. Most likely self regulation will be the way and look how that work in the Forrest industry, banking etc.

CT won't stop pollution as it is intended because it is lazy govt policy, expect the pollutors to change behaviour because the market is the force. All business prime directive is to make money at any cost, social issues is not a consideration. CT is either govt being lazy or wanting to change financial money flow, nothing to do with Reduction in pollution, that's why she finds it hard to sell as an idea.

Regulation is the best approach, it will cost the public the same money but we get a reduction in pollution for it. Cigarettes are a good example, higher tax did not reduce smoking, bans in govt buildings, restaurants, pubs, work places along with heavy advertising and packaging has made a change in behaviour.

The GST did cause significant issues in this country because the reason for it was never achieved, there was no reduction in income tax, which there was supposed, nonreduction in all the other taxes, like petrol, sales, state etc. It was sold as tax on consumption so no need for income tax, now a country with only 22m people all the richest resources in the world we are one of highest taxed citizens on the planet, just doesn't make sense. We should have all the very best facilities with all the riches we have, we are not even as big as some cities in population so why do we pay so much tax!!! Peoples apathy to understand our economy is the issue and not demanding better management of our money and resources. If Australia was a business it would be broke and have share market value of $1, as we give everything away.

To stop pollution, regulate, demand consumers of our resources to use it clean, then we will make a difference to climate change for the future, it takes hard work and balls.

W

wcmonger

Wake up people!

The Carbon tax is just another major bungle waiting to happen & send our economy into a tailspin along with mining tax.

NO other country in the worlds is going to implement an economy wide ETS any time soon?? FACT

Our reductions will make NO difference to global warming - ZERO

We will just fuck our economy and think that the rest will follow - just like Copenhagen huh?? - FAIRY LAND!!!

When you all start losing your jobs & electricity is DOUBLE the price it is now and your house is worth HALF what it is now maybe everyone will wake up - when its too late.

This is the biggest CON of all time and all it is is a TAX!!!!

These labour fuckwits are even starting this NBN at a cost of $43billion & making competitors rip up their existing copper network so that their NBN can make a profit!!

ACCC you say will stop price gouging with carbon tax??? Well ACCC is going to allow NBN to control monopoly & prevent competition!!!!!

NBN will be a $43b white elephant as new technology will make it redundant before it is even finished being rolled out!

Oh and guess what. NBN - another tax - $2000 for every Australian down the drain and for what gain??? ZERO

Pink Batts - DISASTER
Building Revolution - DISASTER
Cash for Clunkers - another Gillard/Rudd brainstorm
GFC Stimulus payment - DISASTER - just made Gerry Harvey about $100m richer
Illegal Immigration - DISASTER

I import overseas product & the Gillard Govt is just making my job easier & making Australian companies LESS competetive - BIG time.

A

Alecia the Foxx

I am in favor of carbon tax. New Zealand must also reduce its carbon emissions. We are now the fourth largest emitter. That is due mainly to the dairy and farming industry, as we also farm sheep (yeah, yeah) and now a bit of deer, etc. However according to the Green Party leader, more and more farmers are heading down the organic route, and getting good returns as well.

In terms of pink batts, over here we have something called green batts, which are the same as the pink ones, but more environmentally sound. Maybe you guys have similar? There have also been changes in the building standard national regulations, and all new houses have more green stuff happening right at ground level, I live in one such new house. So there are efforts being made in all aspects of industry.

F

Farm Boy

I am in favor of carbon tax. New Zealand must also reduce its carbon emissions. We are now the fourth largest emitter. That is due mainly to the dairy and farming industry, as we also farm sheep (yeah, yeah) and now a bit of deer, etc. However according to the Green Party leader, more and more farmers are heading down the organic route, and getting good returns as well.

In terms of pink batts, over here we have something called green batts, which are the same as the pink ones, but more environmentally sound. Maybe you guys have similar? There have also been changes in the building standard national regulations, and all new houses have more green stuff happening right at ground level, I live in one such new house. So there are efforts being made in all aspects of industry.

Alecia maybe forth largest per capita 4 no way& your right pink batts highcarbon in manufacturing process .

Holford

Gold Member

Australia and New Zealand combined emit less than 1% of the worlds pollution. To worry about climate and environment we should worry about the amazon being chopped up and flooded with new dams being built, it is the biggest source of oxygen on the planet, no amazon no life, even if you stop most of the pollution.

I don't agree about the NBN, this is very important for our future, that is one long term infrastucture that will give Australia an edge going forward.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Alecia maybe forth largest per capita 4 no way& your right pink batts highcarbon in manufacturing process .

The way I understood the stats was that it wasn't just per capita, but over all. However, I could be wrong on that. Never-the-less our farming industries have been targeted to reduce their emissions along with other industry activity, as we have gone way over the top with it, whichever way one wishes to view the situation.

chook

Silver Member

Climate change policy is difficult politics but a necessary one that all countries in one way or another are slowly dealing with it. The carbon tax is not the best method of emission abatement but it gets us moving, eventually to an ETS.

I'm not a supported of either side of politics but at least labor is doing something even knowing it may well cost them the next election, unlike the other side which keeps flip-flopping and does not have Australia's interests at heart.

On thing that amazes me is how the ignorant, right wing zealots (yes you wcmonger) use issues like this to push their irrational unrelated view points on other people. Labor always bad (yes right, Howard Treasurer - Liberal government - 1982 produced 11% unemployment, 13% inflation, worst recession since great depression and 21% interest rates, not a feat seen before or repeated since. Your so called failures are totally insignificant by comparison). He's probably a Howard fanboy.

Anyway keep the posts rational and on topic (ala Fudd) rather than an anti Gillard diatribe.

Last edited: