Is the sex industry feeling the recession??

Dallas

Legend Member
As a relatively new WL I have seen a decline in clients both in and out of the Bordello in Canberra. I've had conversations with long term WL's who are also feeling the pinch, one even commenting that she hasn't seen it this slow before. Is anyone else in agreement & will it pass? Just interested to know others experience and predictions. xo A

I can only tell you my situation, but I earned more when I first left Uni than I do now. Employers are cutting back like there's no tomorrow and converting full time employees to casuals to pay them less. So if clients have less money then they will only be able to book less often, or look for ladies that charge less or, give up on the idea.

PS all the w/l's I've seen smell very clean and fresh, but then that's worth giving up bread and milk for :)

Rudyboy

Diamond Member
yes but Bepp is coeliac and lactose intolerant, that's why he's a bum man....no teat sucking for him!

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
I can only tell you my situation, but I earned more when I first left Uni than I do now. Employers are cutting back like there's no tomorrow and converting full time employees to casuals to pay them less. So if clients have less money then they will only be able to book less often, or look for ladies that charge less or, give up on the idea.

PS all the w/l's I've seen smell very clean and fresh, but then that's worth giving up bread and milk for :)

Giving up bread for head..... ;)

MrBig

Diamond Member
Many do not think $400 an hour is too steep as you put it. Most I have been lucky enough to work with the adult realm take great pride in the experience they offer to the varied clients with a wide range of wants / needs.

Just out of curiousity, do you question the local grocer about the cost of bread & milk?
Where perhaps the sex industry might be your bread and buttermilk, for the punters, however, it's like trying to compare 'need' with 'want'.
For something one needs they can change as much as they want. But for something one wants they can charge as much as they need to as long as clients do not shopping elsewhere.

Lacie Tomson

Gold Member
Just a W/L whinging cause shes got no customers

I think this comment is saying more about your thoughts/attitude than a WL being a 'whinger'

The conversation was a valid one.

As a newbie, it is in interesting concept when WL of 2+ years are saying they haven't seen it this quiet.. not even by half.

Amanda is a classy lady, I am thinking your comment was harsh and far from real

MrBig

Diamond Member
While your work place hazards might be unique in nature they are not necessarily worse than the work place hazards associated with many other industries.
I often consider courier, taxi, truck drivers and other constant road users as perhaps having a much more hazardous job.
So I'd immediately take that out of the equation.
Having said that, I also provide a great service in my industry and faced with reduced client numbers who are always putting downward pressure on the price they are willing to pay. I have lost many clients' business as a result of they also struggling more financially due to their loss of employment or having to take jobs at lower rates.
The overall result to me is that I'm currently earning only around half what I was earning a year ago with only a slight reduction in the hours that I work.
As a result I trim down on 'wants' but am still able to put food in my stomach. :)
If your client base in still strong then continue as usual, if competition for a shrinking client base increases then one must be more competitive by adjusting service quality and price.

Last edited:

Lacie Tomson

Gold Member
Considering the work place hazards, I am assuming the (realistic) punters will be insightful and reasonable when posting their ideas :)

Maybe a good way to think of a good rate price would be to consider this...

How much is your daughter/sister/girlfriend/cousin/niece worth an hour?
If I was private my rates would be lower as I would not have the parlour cut, so on some level, I agree with the costs sometimes being too exorbitant.
But.
There is also a human cost involved in this.
As well as outgoing costs.
I have been working two months and have tax invoices/receipts for in excess of $3000 on shoes, clothes, lingerie, makeup and prophylactics.

I am hoping the punters can come up with what they believe to be reasonable. After all, we want you to be able to afford us, or we do not have work???

Phoebe

Legend Member
While your work place hazards might be unique in nature they are not necessarily worse than the work place hazards associated with many other industries.
I often consider courier, taxi, truck drivers and other constant road users as perhaps having a much more hazardous job.
Having said that, I also provide a great service in my industry and faced with reduced client numbers who are always putting downward pressure on the price they are willing to pay. I have lost many clients' business as a result of they also struggling more financially due to their loss of employment or having to take jobs at lower rates.
The overall result to me is that I'm currently earning only around half what I was earning a year ago with only a slight reduction in the hours that I work.
As a result I trim down on 'wants' but am still able to put food in my stomach. :)

I agree, but a WL's faces STD's each and every booking, a client that may snap in a booking and bash her, an obsessed client whom stalks her, or follows her home this happens dude, and servicing clients that pick them and they really don't want to be with,- this occurs to, then there is blood tests, urine tests each few months and swabs all uncomfy things, plus hey she may have to go to work while she is on her period and ovulating so both can be troublesome for some women, then there are days like we all have when she feels like sh!t but needs to put on a brave face and do a days shift, so she faces more hazards than most workers, a bad day for an office worker is your latte was too hot too cold too bitter etc etc, a bad day for a working lady is a few condoms breaking and she panics....... hmmmmm

Lacie Tomson

Gold Member

Agreed MrLittle. And I am sorry to hear of your recent financial situation.
If we are being booked for $400 an hour, I am not suggesting our work is more dangerous than the factory worker or council worker who gets $30 an hour (a very simple rubbing of skin could result in a lifetime of herpes, which means we can't work in this industry ever again, so I stand by the fact that we are exposed to risks). We don't get paid $400 per hour we are here. Which is Amanda's point. Some girls have worked three twelve hour days without a booking. Put one booking in and the hourly rate is ridiculous.

We have a great job!
We get paid to have orgasms.
There is no complaining here AT ALL :p

It would just be interesting to hear what you guys think is fair.

PS Can you tell it is quiet in here atm? Three hours not one punter has come in....

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
I think this comment is saying more about your thoughts/attitude than a WL being a 'whinger'

The conversation was a valid one.

As a newbie, it is in interesting concept when WL of 2+ years are saying they haven't seen it this quiet.. not even by half.

Amanda is a classy lady, I am thinking your comment was harsh and far from real
Sorrrrrry.....

MrBig

Diamond Member
Don't worry about my financial situation. A sole trader is often subjected to high and lows in business. Many businesses are feeling the effect and most have a much greater initial investment and ongoing expenses than a WL. Also many experience very long periods without clients or perhaps sales if they operate a store etc.
So you're not alone.
However, as @RudyBoy mentioned, look after your regulars, as best you can, this is most important as they can help spread the word that may generate new business.
As far as pricing is concerned, if the house is still making sufficient profit and they're willing to reduce their cut during the lean periods them it would be in line with general economics.

honestman

Gold Member
It would just be interesting to hear what you guys think is fair.

To be short and to the point - no more than $300 an hour.

In the past 2 & half years I have only punted three (3) times. So that is sex - only three times.

I understand assholes exist everywhere & everyday in all shapes and form, and I agree with what's been said dozens of times - lower your price but up your guard.

*Perhaps take this an idea*
----------------------------------------
Why don't the ladies actually provide a screening opportunity booking for prospective clients but no sex within this transaction? Aka, trial dating period - go have lunch, dinner, (no movies or any "going-out" events - because strictly these bookings are meant to screen clients).

Through all my years of reading privates profiles, one has yet to come up and delivered the above idea. Sure you can screen your clients by over the phone, stalking his facebook, linkedin, g+ etc, but nothing compares to meet the "reality" than all that social media.

Sure I can't afford $30 a meal at an all-gluten-infested jaimy's italian, but I'm sure as hell open to down anything that's $15 keto friendly @ Grilld. So say $35 to break the ice (for both of you) but more importantly for an hour meetup then have the W/L decide if he's well behaved.

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
I am interested. What is a reasonable price for a great service?
This is, of course, very subjective. In part, 'reasonable' requires factoring in some of the risks you've mentioned, though as has also been mentioned, there are many other occupations that involve much greater risk for much less pay. It also covers the undesirable aspects, such as sharing intimate moments with someone to whom you are not attracted, or even repulsed by.

The other side of 'reasonable' is what else punters can purchase with the same money, or what we are potentially giving up -- that is, the opportunity cost of a booking. $400 is still a lot of money to most people and can represent anything from a (low end) computer/tablet that will last for years to a few weeks' grocery shopping. A two hour booking, or a double, hurts the hip pocket twice as much obviously. So 'blowing it' on an hour or two of sexual intimacy can seem like a lot when there are cheaper ways of achieving the same basic physical satisfaction, even if you don't get the same experience.
...If I was private my rates would be lower as I would not have the parlour cut, so on some level, I agree with the costs sometimes being too exorbitant...
This speaks to what is considered 'reasonable' by many -- what alternatives are there and how do they stack up? I have availed myself of $350-400/hr bookings (including at L/t VIP) on occasion. The quality, almost by definition given the type of service we are discussing, has varied markedly. I have had great times, good times and dud punts. These last tend to linger in the mind for longer quite often because they make you hesitate about taking another punt for that kind of money. More importantly, I have had great punts for $220-300/hr -- mostly with PWLs but also a particular WL at a brothel -- which makes it even harder to justify risking $400 on an unknown quantity when I know I can have a fantastic experience for at least 25% less cost. That's FS. More often, I am quite happy with a good RnT (often with a little extra) and I usually pay no more than $200/hr, sometimes less (and I'm not talking about AMPs).

So with all these options available, it is just really difficult to justify to myself splashing out $400 for an experience that I can get for $300 (or less), or have a relaxing 'massage plus' for half the L/t rate and which will satisfy my carnal desires most of the time. I guess that ($300/hr) is reasonable to me at this point in time. At $400, there would need to be something extra special about the lady or the booking to make it enticing. Or it's just a rare treat to try something different, like going to a more expensive restaurant than you normally would frequent. (Apologies, it's past my bedtime so the above may not be entirely coherent but hopefully I've managed to get across my main points.) :yawn:

Last edited:

Lacie Tomson

Gold Member
To be short and to the point - no more than $300 an hour.

In the past 2 & half years I have only punted three (3) times. So that is sex - only three times.

I understand assholes exist everywhere & everyday in all shapes and form, and I agree with what's been said dozens of times - lower your price but up your guard.

*Perhaps take this an idea*
----------------------------------------
Why don't the ladies actually provide a screening opportunity booking for prospective clients but no sex within this transaction? Aka, trial dating period - go have lunch, dinner, (no movies or any "going-out" events - because strictly these bookings are meant to screen clients).

Through all my years of reading privates profiles, one has yet to come up and delivered the above idea. Sure you can screen your clients by over the phone, stalking his facebook, linkedin, g+ etc, but nothing compares to meet the "reality" than all that social media.

Sure I can't afford $30 a meal at an all-gluten-infested jaimy's italian, but I'm sure as hell open to down anything that's $15 keto friendly @ Grilld. So say $35 to break the ice (for both of you) but more importantly for an hour meetup then have the W/L decide if he's well behaved.
Great idea honestman. And... thank you for your honesty :)

Lacie Tomson

Gold Member
This is, of course, very subjective. In part, 'reasonable' requires factoring in some of the risks you've mentioned, though as has also been mentioned, there are many other occupations that involve much greater risk for much less pay. It also covers the undesirable aspects, such as sharing intimate moments with someone to whom you are not attracted, or even repulsed by.

The other side of 'reasonable' is what else punters can purchase with the same money, or what we are potentially giving up -- that is, the opportunity cost of a booking. $400 is still a lot of money to most people and can represent anything from a (low end) computer/tablet that will last for years to a few weeks' grocery shopping. A two hour booking, or a double, hurts the hip pocket twice as much obviously. So 'blowing it' on an hour or two of sexual intimacy can seem like a lot when there are cheaper ways of achieving the same basic physical satisfaction, even if you don't get the same experience.

This speaks to what is considered 'reasonable' by many -- what alternatives are there and how do they stack up? I have availed myself of $350-400/hr bookings (including at L/t VIP) on occasion. The quality, almost by definition given the type of service we are discussing, has varied markedly. I have had great times, good times and dud punts. These last tend to linger in the mind for longer quite often because they make you hesitate about taking another punt for that kind of money. More importantly, I have had great punts for $220-300/hr -- mostly with PWLs but also a particular WL at a brothel -- which makes it even harder to justify risking $400 on an unknown quantity when I know I can have a fantastic experience for at least 25% less cost. That's FS. More often, I am quite happy with a good RnT (often with a little extra) and I usually pay no more than $200/hr, sometimes less (and I'm not talking about AMPs).

So with all these options available, it is just really difficult to justify to myself splashing out $400 for an experience that I can get for $300 (or less), or have a relaxing 'massage plus' for half the L/t rate and which will satisfy my carnal desires most of the time. I guess that ($300/hr) is reasonable to me at this point in time. At $400, there would need to be something extra special about the lady or the booking to make it enticing. Or it's just a rare treat to try something different, like going to a more expensive restaurant than you normally would frequent. (Apologies, it's past my bedtime so the above may not be entirely coherent but hopefully I've managed to get across my main points.) :yawn:
Always on point XLNC. Thank you x

funflyer

Foundation Member

I never punt in Australia now because the opportunity cost is too high. For the cost of 2 one hour bookings - $800, I can buy a return air ticket to Thailand. That's a hell of an incentive not to punt in Perth

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Just as this planet goes through cycles with high and low points......like the height of human civilisation being a high and an ice age being a low..... These can not be avoided.......but serve as a function of evolution where the strong and the adaptive survive........evolution.

At a smaller scale the downturn being felt will just provide natural selection to give an embracable opportunity to the service providers that choose to have what it takes a chance to step it up then flourish with less competition when the cycles ease off again.

Even bacteria get stronger through cycles of cleaning agents snd antibiotics they are subject to.....

Nothing exists in the macro...micro....and everything in between without these cycles..

Last edited:

Rudyboy

Diamond Member
I think Yoda has been sniffing those cleaning agents User 184 LOL.

Just a thought, there are several ways to set out your stall. Just as more people can afford a Toyota Corolla rather than a Lexus, they both do a very similar job in getting you from A to B. So in the same way, there are a lot of people happy to pay $40 for 30 mins in an AMP plus $50 for a topless HJ, but a lot of people would like to see a top private at $700hr but the market dictates they are very few in number.

So there is a curved graph here showing number of possible clients vs what they pay and if you want to make the rent, you can pick a spot and set your stall accordingly.

The hard part is you compete with AMPs where a good girl might do 6 jobs a day, get say an average of $35 per job from the owner and then pockets all the extras which would be say $65 average. So she can make $600/day, no-one probably knows she is working here, no tax, shared accomodation and a few bus rides. These girls often work 6 days a week and don't forget they work in the area with the most punters being able to afford the services. Even if your pretty crappy I am betting you would do at least 15 jobs a week, so your being paid the equivalent of someone on $100k per annum who is a tax payer.

You may say it's not fair, but that's commerce and you don't go till you come!

Wilde Amanda

Silver Member
Simple xut ur $'s/hour so everyone can visit
Bepp It appears that you're not really reading well and thinking about the differing points of this conversation. Yours, I'm afraid is a couple of simplistic statements, which have already been discounted, (pun), by the majority of participants. Are you able to draw from an analytical place in your mind and suggest something truly poisitive and creative? xo A

MrBig

Diamond Member
LOL

I, on the other hand believe @bepp, with perhaps, um, colourful and simplistic means, is summing the responses of the majority.

If the majority of the population is feeling a financial pinch then they'll be reducing spending in line and seeking 'bargains' more often. If a business is surviving with the smaller contingent of clients that are not adversely affected by the current economic climate then all good else changes may be needed to remain in business. Reduction in the price of goods and service is a means to increase customer base which will allow the business to remain viable and staff to continue, perhaps with reduced hours/ income, to have a job.

This is happening globally in many businesses so why should the sex industry necessarily be any different.

Dallas

Legend Member
Maybe a good way to think of a good rate price would be to consider this...

How much is your daughter/sister/girlfriend/cousin/niece worth an hour?
If I was private my rates would be lower as I would not have the parlour cut, so on some level, I agree with the costs sometimes being too exorbitant.
But.
There is also a human cost involved in this.
As well as outgoing costs.
I have been working two months and have tax invoices/receipts for in excess of $3000 on shoes, clothes, lingerie, makeup and prophylactics.

I am hoping the punters can come up with what they believe to be reasonable. After all, we want you to be able to afford us, or we do not have work???

My view on prices has always been that it's all down to supply and demand.

A lady should just charge what clients are prepared to pay. She will know this from how busy she is.

If she's knocking back clients then she should put up her prices.

If she is short of work, then drop them a bit.

Also remember location location. The same lady might not be able to make a living charging $200 ph in one location but in another, $600ph might keep her busy. Where I live there's no w/l's at all - not even privates. One lady on tour here recently was charging $650 and doing really well apparently.

So if I was a w/l I'd be charging based on the demand. I'd love it if ladies charged what I could afford, but in reality they are in business first, so like any business, they should charge what customers are prepared to pay. This is why I find if I am prepared to travel anywhere, I can find a great lady who is working in an area and can only charge maybe $150 or $200 p/h. The same lady with the right marketing could relocate to my town and charge a lot more.

Questioning a ladies rates doesn't make sense based on what I've said, because if she's charging $$$ per hour and it's working for her, then a client complaining saying she's not worth it is just insulting. Her value as a service provider comes down to if she's making enough to satisfy her financial requirements and are clients prepared to pay her hourly rate? Well that's the business angle. Mind you, personally I'm crazy so if she's a sweetie I'll pay whatever just to talk and cuddle her... shhh wait! did I just say that?? :p

Last edited:

AxeMan

Diamond Member
This is a great thread! Why don't I read the Canberra forums more often? :)

I'll add a few thoughts to the mix. But straight up I'll say that in my opinion $300 is a fair hourly rate. I've paid $350 once. And I've never paid above.

Ok, now for a few more specific thoughts.

One problem is that hourly rate isn't the only thing to consider. The other is what is included in the rate. Some WLs will give you a massage, oral one way and sex. And then it's either more money for kissing, DATY, etc or go without. Then there are other WLs who will be much more all inclusive on their pricing and service. So I think what are reasonable inclusions is also part of the equation.

So for example, my one and only parlour girl that I see works at a $300/hour parlour and for that I get a great girl, massage, DFK, DATY and multiple finishes. How precisely this came about isn't clear. I'm fairly sure she doesn't do it for every client but I don't think it's because I'm such a hot bloke or anything. She's made a number of comments about the downturn so I wonder whether she has upped her service to try to retain some more regulars. Anyway, my point is that once you find a gem like this it's hard to justify risking $400+ elsewhere.

Another thing is that it is not that difficult to find what I will call, for want of a better term, amateur girls who are willing to play for reward. It's more effort that making a booking with a WL but with only a small amount of effort I see 3 different ladies semi-regularly at $200-$250. For this there are all the above inclusions plus no set time (I'm usually the one watching the clock lol).

Just my late night thoughts.

Phoebe

Legend Member
This is a great thread! Why don't I read the Canberra forums more often? :)

I'll add a few thoughts to the mix. But straight up I'll say that in my opinion $300 is a fair hourly rate. I've paid $350 once. And I've never paid above.

Ok, now for a few more specific thoughts.

One problem is that hourly rate isn't the only thing to consider. The other is what is included in the rate. Some WLs will give you a massage, oral one way and sex. And then it's either more money for kissing, DATY, etc or go without. Then there are other WLs who will be much more all inclusive on their pricing and service. So I think what are reasonable inclusions is also part of the equation.

So for example, my one and only parlour girl that I see works at a $300/hour parlour and for that I get a great girl, massage, DFK, DATY and multiple finishes. How precisely this came about isn't clear. I'm fairly sure she doesn't do it for every client but I don't think it's because I'm such a hot bloke or anything. She's made a number of comments about the downturn so I wonder whether she has upped her service to try to retain some more regulars. Anyway, muy point is that once you find a gem like this it's hard to justify risking $400+ elsewhere.

Another thing is that it is not that difficult to find what I will call, for want of a better term, amateur girls who are willing to play for reward. It's more effort that making a booking with a WL but with only a small amount of effort I see 3 different ladies semi-regularly at $200-$250. For this there are all the above inclusions plus no set time (I'm usually the one watching the clock lol).

Just my late night thoughts.

A great post buddy., very well said, I hope you keep seeing her, sounds like you found a gem.

10/10