Is the sex industry feeling the recession??

Wilde Amanda

Silver Member
As a relatively new WL I have seen a decline in clients both in and out of the Bordello in Canberra. I've had conversations with long term WL's who are also feeling the pinch, one even commenting that she hasn't seen it this slow before. Is anyone else in agreement & will it pass? Just interested to know others experience and predictions. xo A

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- In general I suspect the industry has slowed down a little,but, if there is a particular event occuring in a city trade should increase rapidly. For example"Summernats" Every year, up to 1800 of the toughest Australian elite street machines descend on Exhibition Park in Canberra. The clipsal 500 in Adelaide, The Melbourne Grand Prix also known as the Australian Grand Prix.
There is no-dought a group of W/L who have calander dates of events that occur around the country, they follow the events and have very profitable weeks.

Wilde Amanda

Silver Member
Thanks Happy Pirate & RudyBoy for the tips. I'm not in a position to be travelling and can't wait for the Summernats event. Anyone else got ideas? xo A

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
Drop your rates from $400 to say $280 for a month and see magically the amount of men come back...

The economy is slowing globally, Men are unsure about jobs and keeping a roof over their heads, average rents in canberra are $500 a week, bring home pay for a APS 6 are 1300 a week do the math.... and not everyone that walks into there is an APS6 or EL1 or 2 they are the men that save for a few weeks that work at bobjane, kmart, and other lower paid roles.

I just did 6 months in Canberra and every day the guys in my team were saying about costs of living and not being able to save on an APS 6 pay grade, they were all on the highest pay increments too, increases of car rego costs, car parking in parliamentary triangle are now over $13 a day, plus food costs, coffee in Canberra is more expensive than Sydney, plus the contractors were saving as they were unsure about jobs and getting other work, so disposable income goes into the bank and not into entertainment and ironically contractors can afford to part with $400 and not notice it..

I know a parlor in northern Sydney that dropped the rate to $280 per hour from a rate close to langtrees guess what foot traffic increased girls were getting booked the owner was making coin again... happiness returned..

You can not rely upon events to pay your bills you need constant on going business, I know 3 real estate agents in Canberra whom are doing more final inspections and people leaving Canberra than coming in, so look at rates drop them for a month publish that as a september sex special and see what happens...

Wilde Amanda

Silver Member
Thanks Phoebe for your idea of dropping rates. It's a pretty competitive industry & my rates are lower during the day to try and get the punters in, which is already demoralizing, as I give an excellent service. I find the gentlemen who only book for half an hour or try to haggle rates are the ones most likley to rip off a condom or become difficult & demanding in the room.
The WL's are not keen to drop their rates, & I agree, as cheap does not often command respect, in fact, can lead to a very disrespectful relationship. Remember there is no holiday, sick pay or workers compensation in this industry. Looking good is also expensive due to make up, clothes, toys & protection costs, and many WL's are living a secretive life so do not have taxation claims associated with the industry. Day shift is good money if there are at least 3 bookings. Lately there are none or only one & by my calculations, given the agency fees ect I may as well work in a cafe or as a cleaner. More creative ideas please??? xo A

juddy

Gold Member
Did I miss something? Who announced a recession?

Not sure if it was a "industry" recession or a economic recession i.e.

The most common definition, often referred to as a "technical recession", is when the economy chalks up two consecutive quarters of what economists call "negative growth". Negative growth is really an ugly oxymoron, and what they really mean is no growth at all or a shrinking economy.
(From TheAge)

Phoebe

Legend Member
Thanks Phoebe for your idea of dropping rates. It's a pretty competitive industry & my rates are lower during the day to try and get the punters in, which is already demoralizing, as I give an excellent service. I find the gentlemen who only book for half an hour or try to haggle rates are the ones most likley to rip off a condom or become difficult & demanding in the room.
The WL's are not keen to drop their rates, & I agree, as cheap does not often command respect, in fact, can lead to a very disrespectful relationship. Remember there is no holiday, sick pay or workers compensation in this industry. Looking good is also expensive due to make up, clothes, toys & protection costs, and many WL's are living a secretive life so do not have taxation claims associated with the industry. Day shift is good money if there are at least 3 bookings. Lately there are none or only one & by my calculations, given the agency fees ect I may as well work in a cafe or as a cleaner. More creative ideas please??? xo A

I know the costs involved as a WL, I have a few friends that are WL's and they are all saying the same, and those that are saying they are busy eg private working ladies, well I don't know how you can be busy as you say you are and posting always on your twitter page, I am sure clients would like that during sex " oh stop please I need to post this on twitter' so that tells me there are not busy, I know wl's that are like you stunning women that go to parlors and sit all day, where by I go to work and do nothing I still get paid that's not be-littering anyone at all, but its a double edged sword you lower your rates you may get the clients that you dont want and have described, the only other way is that the house takes less and pays you more.. which on my calculations which take into account say langtrees in Perth of 17 rooms booked for 18 hours out of 24 each day then and the house taking 50% of $400 per hour..

17*18= 306 bookable hours at $200 = $61,200 per day now I dont know too many 17 room motels that make that kind of coin... now work that out for 364 days as its closed on christmas day I think ;

so : $61,200 * 364 days = $22,276,800 per annum thats 18 hours a day thats not taking into account times when the US Navy are in town, or Grand final day/ etc etc...

SO maybe Girls need to discuss this with owners to see if something can be done. there..

Phoebe

Legend Member
Not sure if it was a "industry" recession or a economic recession i.e.

The most common definition, often referred to as a "technical recession", is when the economy chalks up two consecutive quarters of what economists call "negative growth". Negative growth is really an ugly oxymoron, and what they really mean is no growth at all or a shrinking economy.
(From TheAge)

Is your name Joe by chance.... LOL

Keryn

Gold Member
We live in a fickle world & I do not believe this industry relies too heavily on special events. Canberra on the whole has what could be best described as a floating population. At present the population sits around 368,000 on a regular day but when Parliament sits or we have an event like Summernats the population can reach dizzying heights for such a geographically compact region.

This industry is unpredictable & often the opposite of expectation happens....when experiencing recession we can be busy as people look for comfort or in the midst of population heights we could be quieter as people are busy working & do not have the time to play.

Personally, coming from a business aspect, dropping price is often a knee jerk reaction to a down turn. There can be more creative ways to market that can include valued client bonus or offers which are a better fit for the actual business. When a business is advertising as elite & upmarket it can be detrimental to the brand to be anything but.

Phoebe

Legend Member
At face value, it appears this thread may have come from someone asking for honest feedback not a W/L whinging about no customers.

+1 Agreed. Men see anything from a woman as a whinge... Really if it wasn't for working ladies loads of men would never get laid, A lot of men's best contraceptive is their own personalities, think dudes they WL's are sitting there waiting for you to come in, not the other way around...

Rudyboy

Diamond Member
From what we've seen you can rest assured the usage rate Phoebe is talking about may have been once upon a time long ago, but during the day FS seems to be extremely thin. At night, then things kick off.

We talk to people who are in the AMP, R and T and FS business and everyone is doing it tough. In WA the fact that everyone spent like a drunken sailor during the boom and didn't save for the current deluge has left a very downbeat sense. A lot of qualified and skilled people don't have jobs, but I guess still have itches which are being self-fulfilled.

Like I said before, cut your spending to suit the times and income, offer the best you can, build a client base even if it's a small one and when times improve, you'll be looking good.

One thing some people may not get is that when a girl does a job and earns 50% of the money, that often goes straight to the spend pile. There may be no deduction of the GST which you should have over $75k income, a lack of tax return "fact" and a spend and live now attitude which will leave you short when times are tough. I am not implying for one minute that anyone here is doing that but it's a fact of the industry.

The parlour has to pay the GST, the lease, power, water, gas, telephone, advertising, capital repayments etc etc, so often the parlour makes less than any one girl worth a pinch who is working there.

Cutting prices from a parlour perspective is easy to say, but impossible to do as the girls just jump ship.

Phoebe

Legend Member
From what we've seen you can rest assured the usage rate Phoebe is talking about may have been once upon a time long ago, but during the day FS seems to be extremely thin. At night, then things kick off.

We talk to people who are in the AMP, R and T and FS business and everyone is doing it tough. In WA the fact that everyone spent like a drunken sailor during the boom and didn't save for the current deluge has left a very downbeat sense. A lot of qualified and skilled people don't have jobs, but I guess still have itches which are being self-fulfilled.

Like I said before, cut your spending to suit the times and income, offer the best you can, build a client base even if it's a small one and when times improve, you'll be looking good.

One thing some people may not get is that when a girl does a job and earns 50% of the money, that often goes straight to the spend pile. There may be no deduction of the GST which you should have over $75k income, a lack of tax return "fact" and a spend and live now attitude which will leave you short when times are tough. I am not implying for one minute that anyone here is doing that but it's a fact of the industry.

The parlour has to pay the GST, the lease, power, water, gas, telephone, advertising, capital repayments etc etc, so often the parlour makes less than any one girl worth a pinch who is working there.

Cutting prices from a parlour perspective is easy to say, but impossible to do as the girls just jump ship.

There really is no easy answer is there? "self fulfilled that's a crack up" we are now a bunch of wankers. LOL

Rudyboy

Diamond Member
"now a bunch"....I think we were that before LOL...and that goes for boys and girls too....and some others who aren't too sure.

Keryn

Gold Member
Ok we all think over $400 an hour is steep. but what does everyone think is a fair hourly rate then??
Many do not think $400 an hour is too steep as you put it. Most I have been lucky enough to work with the adult realm take great pride in the experience they offer to the varied clients with a wide range of wants / needs.

Just out of curiousity, do you question the local grocer about the cost of bread & milk?

juddy

Gold Member
I'd recommend studying and understanding the 80/20 rule and see how you can use it for your advantage. I'd recommend Perry Marshall for how to make this work for any business.

The 80/20 Rule in Business
80/20 Says 80 Percent of Your Results Come from 20 Percent of Your Efforts, and 20 Percent of Your Results Come from The Other 80 Percent.

Phoebe

Legend Member
Many do not think $400 an hour is too steep as you put it. Most I have been lucky enough to work with the adult realm take great pride in the experience they offer to the varied clients with a wide range of wants / needs.

Just out of curiousity, do you question the local grocer about the cost of bread & milk?

I used $400 as a benchmark, thats all. I could of said 300 or even 500..

Rudyboy

Diamond Member
In a grocer you have a choice of 30 loafs of bread, sometimes you buy the $5 loaf, sometimes the $1.50 loaf. Here you have a simple quality vs cost comparison in front of you. Milk is pretty much a commodity like say a bag of sugar. There you go either brand or price, again simple choice.

With the adult industry, the choice might or might not be there and the quality in many instances is unknown to the buyer. Thereby they get a bit toey before they spend. Pretty understandable. The other issue is that most people will spend sub $50 without thinking too hard...what could possibly go wrong and it's not a huge loss. Somewhat different with sex.

The other side of the 80:20 rule applies in regards to 80% of your income will come from 20% of your clients. This works well if you have regulars as they might come once a week or more, so they quickly pay some bills for you. The other 80% of your clients are one offers or low ballers who you are happy to take to top you up.

So in any business, build that 20% of clients who know what they get, like what they get and keep coming back for more. Look after these people like your mortgage/rent depends on it, because it does.

I would bet that if you checked the accounts of top private girls you would find this rule is pretty close.

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member

How can u compare the cost of bread n milk with a smelly gash