iPhone 5

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Anyone seen one?

Any heads up or compliments about it yet?

I was so excited, but now there seems to be a lack I excitement globally.....

W

WRXXXR

No doubt it'll sell out again. The apple fanbois, hipsters and those who think they are tech savy will almost immediately upgrade their 4's. iTunes is the computer version of syphillius :)

Are they even able to do NFC yet?

L

Lord Spikey

I want iPhone 5

iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3: Can Apple’s Topple Samsung’s Dictatorship

19 hours ago by Rick Berke

The iPhone 5 made its debut earlier this week, possibly signalling the end of the Samsung Galaxy S3 reign as the best selling smartphone at the moment. While it may be too early to tell how well the iPhone 5 will sell given that no one has gotten one in their hands, the specs are official and we can compare them against the Samsung Galaxy S3 to see where they stand.

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Screen: The iPhone traditionally has a 3.5” screen, but the iPhone 5 boasts a 4” widescreen display, changing its ratio to 16:9 rather than 3:2. This means a larger screen without widening the phone. Apple loves ergonomics, and will still be showing this. The only problem is upscaling apps, but unoptimised apps can get round this by showing two black bars at the display ends. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is unashamedly massive – too big for some. The 4.8” screen has the same pixel density as the iPhone 5, but watching films on it is a joy.

The phones have different screen tech; the iPhone 5 will keeps its IPS Retina display and the Samsung Galaxy S3 a Super AMOLED offering. Super AMOLED makes vivid colors and deep blacks, but IPS looks more natural in my opinion. We compared the HTC One X IPS screen to the Samsung Galaxy S3 recently where you could see what we mean,, although obviously you might think different. Apple’s PR mill will, of course, claim that you can actually see the future in the new iPhone 5 screen, however to be honest it doesn’t quite match up to the display of the Nokia Lumia 920.

Design: Dubbed the world’s thinnest smartphone, the iPhone 5 is not only smaller than the Samsung Galaxy S3 but also lighter and thinner. This also suggests that utilitarian is still in at Cupertino as it retains the styling of the 4S/4.

We still have glass sandwiching aluminum but the shiny trim is now tinted around the edges which gives it a more sleek look. Tthe iPhone 5 looks and feel much more premium than the Samsung Galaxy S3 with its infamous shiny plastic. Flagship devices shouldn’t look like they came out of a cracker.

Power: Processor-wise the Samsung Galaxy S3 should hold sway over the iPhone 5, with its quad-core 1.4GHz Exynos 4412 chip challenging the dual-core iPhone 5 with its 1GB RAM. Apple has always skimped on processors, giving its gadgets just enough oomph to run iOS glitch-free. The iPhone 4S’ processor clocks at a mere 800MHz, and there’s a bijou 512MB of storage so technically this is a big upgrade. Given that the OS plays a big part, the iPhone 5 may perform as well as the S3 despite the lesser cores.

Cameras: Much has been said about the iPhone 5 camera – a lot of it silly. I mean iSight? It’s still just your average iPhone 8-megapixel shooter. We’ll suspend judgement on the iPhone 5 camera just yet as the Samsung Galaxy S3 has a great camera to.

Connectivity: There’s a new doc connector on the iPhone 5 which will warrant you having to buy a $30 adapter should you wish to use your old iPhone accessories with it. That aside, it does allow for a muhc more slimmer iPhone. There is no expandable memory or NFC unlike the Samsung Galaxy S3.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 has microSD support and MHL compliance, allowing users to output HD video and surround sound through HDMI. Users can also drag and drop content files rather than fiddling with syncing software. Both have support for 4G LTE.

Verdict: The iPhone 5 looks and feel more high-end than the Samsung Galaxy S3 but the lack of memory card and a new connector is going to put some people off. To add to the dilemma, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is cheaper, available for around $99 on contract versus the $199 for a 16GB iPhone 5. That being said both seem to match each other in terms of specs and it will likely come down to OS again – do you prefer iOS or Android. Thankfully, both parties will be making a wise choice.

W

WRXXXR

PayPass for a start.

By the end of 2012 or early 2013 all smartphones will be able to do it.

TheCock

Legend Member
What is NFC and what is Paypass!!!!

I hate smartphones, just want a simple mobile that cant be tracked or hacked

Master Yoda

Legend Member
No doubt it'll sell out again. The apple fanbois, hipsters and those who think they are tech savy will almost immediately upgrade their 4's. iTunes is the computer version of syphillius :)

Are they even able to do NFC yet?

Yes.... If only apple didn't have iTunes. That make a world of difference.

Master Yoda

Legend Member
Frankly, I'm just not as excited as when the iPhone 3G was launched.

W

WRXXXR

Maybe because its essentially the same phone as the few its replacing? Imho its too similiar for the hype.

Cock, paypass is just tap and go on credit cards for smaller purchases. If its the only card of its type (ie no smart rider) you just hold your wallet to eftpos pin pad. NFC allows stuff like that in phones. Tap your phone and pay for your purchase. Not many people do it, i've only witnessed it twice but will hopefully get it sorted on my S3 soon.

5ome0ne

Gold Member
Google wallet, that's for Android. Already in USA and trial in UK, but not yet available in AUS.

Diamond Dog

Foundation Member
The way people carry on about new phones reminds me of young teenages going gaga over boy bands.
I do not see why people get so excited.

svengali

Foundation Member
Amen Diamond Dog. I don't get get either but you can bet the "I-Sheep" will be sleeping on the footpaths outside the Apple stores to get their hands on it and they will do the same again in a few months when it is supeceded by I-phone 6.

Me? I will just keep using my ancient Nokia.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...iTunes is a turn off for one. Cisco should sue the crap out of this fruitloop for stealing the using "ios" which stands for internetwork operating system, i guess they may have forgotten to patent that lol.

I will stick to Android. I love my sammy note, 5.3" of goodness is the way to go.

A

Althalus

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...iTunes is a turn off for one. Cisco should sue the crap out of this fruitloop for stealing the using "ios" which stands for internetwork operating system, i guess they may have forgotten to patent that lol.

I'm betting they did, because in 2007 when the iPhone was launched by Apple, Cisco stood up and said 'hey, we already have an iPhone'. But if memory serves me right they didn't really win that argument.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Don't get the excitement over a phone either.........all I want from a phone is sending text messages and make calls....that's about it. The more high tec, the more features, the more connectivity to whatever the more 'big brother' thoughts coming to mind.
R.xxxxxxxx

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
the twuth between the fruit that costs you an arm and a leg and Sam who sung to early, is that they have a love/hate relationship. While apple sues sam for copyright infringements, sammy supplies most of the parts for the iphones, ipads,etc. In the US Fruit 1, Sam 0, while in Japan, the court ruled in favor of Sam,1 while fruit 0. But Sam will still rely on fruit to buy their parts, either party can't do without this partnership. I would put this relationship down as "complicated" lol...

stovo82

Diamond Member
the guy who was first in line to buy the iphone 5 in Perth, Hay Street mall waited 30 hours.
sounds like a pointless waste of time queuing up for an over priced device that is not that big of an improvement upon the IPhone 4S
New Iphones and other new devices have bugs and glitches when they first come out.
Apple is laughing all the way to the bank selling 10 million IPhone 5's in its first week to the suckers who buy everything with Apple on it.

S

Sandi Lang

I am not at all tech inclined however i find Iphone very easy to use so i will stick with it ..Cant see myself waiting in line for days or even hours , a lot of nonsense if u ask me . As i get myself down to Apple and put an order for the latest model ...lol

P

Perthm30

All the people that stood in line for 2 days for iphone 5 are fucking losers

Sherry

Legend Member
A new model already?? I bought my iphone 4s less than a year ago! As much as I love my iphone there is no way I'm upgrading to the 5-From what I hear there isn't a huge difference between the 2 anyway. Does that mean the iphone 6 will be out within the year?

Happy2

Legend Member
I am with svengali , Rochelle & Diamond Dog Its a phone for gods sake you ring people and text people
No wonder airlines can reduce staff why have personal contact Check in on your mobile get your boarding pass on your mobile
As a piece in the paper said through the week nigh on everyone has mobiles and social media apps yet more people than ever consider themselves lonely

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
please excuse my ignorance ,but can someone tell me in plain english what an i-phone is ,all i've got is an outdated motorola phone capable of only recieving ,making calls,txting,..i'm not a communication whiz kid,to tell the truth i'm still learning how to operate a calculator.so please wat is all the fuss about

W

WRXXXR

The iphone isnt much more advanced really. It also allows email, browse the www, play music and play angry birds.

The S3 and one XL are essentially a computer that can do everything, especially when you root them :p

C

Contrarian

hi bepp, I'm hardly a computer wiz but from my vague knowledge base, an i-phone is just a mobile phone with a lot more gadgetry. With it you can browse the net, get access to net based email such as yahoo mail. It has several handy applications with it (some free, some you have to pay for) - e.g. gps mapping, street directory, weather info, games etc.

It's handy for sure. I just come from that school of thought that technology is there for you to use and you rule IT and not vice versa. I personally get disgusted when in a restaurant or on the train and EVERYBODY just about is on their phones which adds just a lot more to isolation and social distancing of society. Hope that helped.

Master Yoda

Legend Member
Installed that iOS6 on the 4S and the iPad3. Impressive, but apart from being half an inch bigger in screen and a bit lighter. I don't see it beuing that much different. Its got the same camera which is way more than a phone needs.

I am only curious as to whether the quad core makes it faster, thats the benefit I see that makes a difference.

Other than that, I cannot be bothered reseting and transferring until its time to move on from the 4S.

Oh and thanks for all the passionate feed back for and against. Its just a phone. But I'm a useless modern human that integrates technology into my life way too much lol.

Happy2

Legend Member
Coming back from holiday recently we stopped over in London There they have a few train carriages that are MP3/phone free
It was surprising how quickly they filled and not just with us middle aged and older fogies

People seem to enjoy getting away from other peoples one sided conversations and music for a while

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
The 1st two mistakes they make with the iphone5 are, a new connector for the usb charger which means the new connector will not be compatible with your existing ipad, ipod, iphone 3, 3g, 3gs, 4 , & 4s and the change of the mapping app from google to tomtom, the inaccuracy in the maps are a big issue.