Doomsday Preppers

A

Al Swearengen

For a little while now I've been watching a show on National Geographic called Doomsday Preppers.
Its about people in the US that are actively preparing for the collapse of civilisation. They go to some amazing lengths!
Anybody else seen it?

At first I thought that all the people were just lunatics & idiots. After watching it for a little while, I've found that some of them have some really good ideas. Others really are just lunatics & idiots.

Each episode has 3 "preppers" that they do a segment on. The prepper explains & shows almost (secrecy is a must!) all of their preparations. At the end of the segment, a "professional" company then rates their preparedness.

Almost without exception every last one of them have some serious weaponry. We're talking AR-10s. Above in some cases! To me, it goes to shows the Americans obsession with guns. There was one episode where a guy took his 2 teenage sons out somewhere for shooting practice. There was a problem & the guy ended up clipping the tip of his thumb off with the rifle. None of them had a first aid kit or really knew what to do. It took the Nat Geo film crew to bail his ass out!

Craziness aside, its got me thinking (just as a hypothetical exercise) what I would do if I was preparing for civilisation to collapse? When I was working in a certain unnamed facility I happened to meet an Australian prepper. At the time I laughed at him but I was still pretty impressed by his ingenuity.

For starters, prepping for Australian conditions is a different thing to preparing for American conditions. Our environment is quite different. Heat & water are even more critical then in the US. But I dont think assault rifles are as much of a concern for us. I think we can get by quite nicely with crossbows.

Comments??

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy, Hmmmm Cross bows are illegal in this country.
I think Preppers are harmless and a bit over the top crazzy, but, let them do there thing.
Me!!!!!!!!! I am storing more rum awaiting for the Global Anarchy.
Cheers and Pass the Rum

Happy2

Legend Member
If collapse is imminent I will be able to put up a few on the farm
Send resumes if you have skills
Those without skills a sexy photo will help Not you HP I have enough of your pics now

How often have I heard I could never live in the country I bet I would all of a sudden have a raft of tree changers at my door

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy, Thx H2, lucky I have a ship;------Lads we need more Rum Barrels
Global Anarchy awaits

Last edited:
C

colzilla

Doomsday is imminent.

Happy 2, Got a spot on your ranch for you old pal Col?

bushseeker

Foundation Member
I have no question if society fell you would be looking for a gun first a formost.
There are alot of people that would just revert back to animals raping women and kids would be there first priority and second priority would be killing men trying to stand in thier way

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
well there's an American TV series called Revolution, you know that either way your doomed, no matter how much you prep for it. Conspiracy, deception continues...

not unless you plan to start a nation of your own when dooms day cum.

svengali

Foundation Member
About the only thing which would bring about the complete collapse of American society would be nuclear war and if that happens all the small arms in America wouldn't help you much. You could only choose when to blow your own brains out to avoid death by radiation poisoning and you don't need an arsenal of high powered weapons for that.

Happy2

Legend Member
Might have to use the force and piss off in a hurry if it goes down
I miss read that at first Obbie I thought you were going to Use the Force. and piss on the little fire Colzilla showed us there and put it out for us
What a great excuse to drink copious amounts of beer

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy, did someone say, Free Beer??? how about a little rum as well
Cheers and Pass the Beer

C

colzilla

Even I might force a free beer down

IMG_1002.jpg

A

Al Swearengen

One of the things I NEVER see on the show is antibiotics. NOBODY stocks them!
Guns are a good idea but meds are also a good one.

Crossbows might be illegal in this state but very easy to make, either by scratch or by ordering parts.

Happy2

Legend Member
One of the things I NEVER see on the show is antibiotics. NOBODY stocks them!
Guns are a good idea but meds are also a good one.

Crossbows might be illegal in this state but very easy to make, either by scratch or by ordering parts.
Spoken like a true survivalist
Isnt that what they called them prior to Doomsday preppers was popularised by TV?

A

Al Swearengen

Hell I can make a ballista if I want to!
Surviovalists are a little different. Preppers are specifically going for the end of the world.

Langtrees VIP Perth 3

Diamond Member
Wow, How can you live today if all you are thinking about is the end of civilization tomorrow. Who would want to live in a world that has been destroyed. No food,no water, no civilized people yuck. I will head to the angels thanks x

bushseeker

Foundation Member
About the only thing which would bring about the complete collapse of American society would be nuclear war and if that happens all the small arms in America wouldn't help you much. You could only choose when to blow your own brains out to avoid death by radiation poisoning and you don't need an arsenal of high powered weapons for that.
Not so.. just Google 1977 power blackout new york to see how quickly people can turn into animals at the slightest oportuinity

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy Well Bro Col;- I suspect Yes, if you can find a women????? then you will trade for services, in my case hip flask of rum for a Punt.
In H2 case, a couple of Fresh meat snags for a punt
In your case half a box of Tea for a punt.

Will punting be cheaper after the nuclear apocalypse?

bushseeker

Foundation Member
Like I I said after the apocalypse people would do the same as they would with food and water.
They would take and kill for it certainly not pay

C

colzilla

Do you mean just take... no punt?

If money didn't change hands I wouldn't know what to do.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy Col, if we assume the collapse of society, cash money is not worth anything. Hence we all barter for goods and services and Yes I suspect Punting will be chaeper.
However, if there is only a couple women left and 1000`s of guys
Punting will be Very Expensive.
So let us hope the guys die, expect for US

Do you mean just take... no punt?

If money didn't change hands I wouldn't know what to do.

C

colzilla

Bartering for sex. I have nothing to barter with except for my good looks