Zombies Are for REAL!!!

Dez

...the floor is lava
Legend Member
Zombie Ants!!!!
:DHell Yeah:D

That's right... Zombie Ants!

Breaking news: ZOMBIES exist! Zombie ants have recently been identified under the mind control of the parasotoid fungus, Ophiocordyceps unilateralis. This is truly the stuff of nightmares, the newly discovered fungus is found in the rainforests of Thailand where is survives by infecting and controlling the minds of carpenter ants.

However bizarre this may sound, it is in fact no Halloween trick. The evil fungus sits, poised in wait, in the form of millions of microscopic spores dispersed by a mature fungus into the shadowy forest undergrowth. An unlucky carpenter ant wandering through the wrong part of the jungle becomes a welcome victim to the plotting parasite. The fungal spores stick to the carpenter ant’s body and begin to burn through its exoskeleton via the secretion of a powerful catabolic enzyme. The cursed ant continues for two days blissfully unaware of the parasite’s malicious existence; suddenly it cannot help but to obey a powerful impulse to leave the safety of its colony high in the leafy bowers and travel down to the shady underworld a foot above the forest floor where the humidity and temperature are optimal for fungal growth. The zombie-ant, now totally at the mercy of the parasite’s mind control, stumbles to the underside of a leaf, bites into the main vein, irreversibly anchoring itself to the spot, and there silently, resigned to its fate, it dies.
The fungus, however, has not finished with the ill-fated, formic creature. Using the ant’s hard exoskeleton as a refuge, it proceeds to devour its internal organs. Once satiated on its macabre meal, the tentacular main stem of the fungus erupts through the back of the ant’s head, releasing thousands of microspores onto the forest floor, and creating a 10-square foot ‘killing zone’ below the remains of its feast. A treacherous trap is set for the next unfortunate victim. Spooooky stuff….

How to make a zombie ant - David P. Hughes - Harvard University
Check out this gruesome video:

That wraps up Synapse's Halloween special, hope you enjoyed the ride!

Posted by Synapse Science Magazine at 10/31/2012 02:53:00 pm

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Whaaaaaatttt? how to make a zombie ant? can this be applied to humans? Looks like World War Z is one step closer to reality. Need to call Brad Pitt.

T

Tania Admin

I know zombies are real,,last time I was in Northbridge they were everywhere, clubs, pubs on the street, skeletal, hollowed cheeks, vacant eyes,,shadows of their former drug addicted selves....

But on your post,,,,wow,,nature is bizarre sometimes. Cool find :)

Bobofunk

Gold Member
Eagerly awaiting season 4 on DVD. The problem is that when I get it, I'll probably watch the entire season in one sitting and then I'll be waiting another year for season 5.

Bobofunk

Gold Member
Only thing I cant figure out in this show is the zombies have been around for over a year so who the hell has been mowing the lawns all the time :rolleyes:
Hey, zombies have the right to take pride in the condition of their lawns. In fact, it's to be encouraged. They certainly don't take pride in their appearance.

Bobofunk

Gold Member
What's been bugging me is in the very first episode. The first scene before the title plays. The sherif shoots the little girl who is a zombie. Where does this fit into the story? It's not a flashback and the scene hasn't been revisited in any of the following episodes.

Bobofunk

Gold Member
The first one he saw. It seemed like a flashback, because this happened before he woke up in hospital. But it was never explained. Usually they do the flashback and then go back to it to show how it fits into the story. But not with this one.

Bobofunk

Gold Member
Only problem with this is that it would be considered necrophelia. And that's a crime. Plus I'm not sure you would come out of it a whole man. She might insist that you leave her a tip.