Would you pay???

A

Alecia the Foxx

Anyway, I digress.

The video of which I posted a link to on youtube, talks about this matter, not necessarily from a restauranteurs point of view, but definitely from a commercial and environmental point of view. The majority of bottled water that you can buy, is in fact only filtered tap water, and the manufacturing of the bottles not only degrades the environment but also the disposal of the bottles adds to environmental destruction. Onwithit does actually have a good idea in buying the water in the larger size bottles to cut down on this, and if one has an issue with fluoride, then maybe that is the less of all the evils. I too, have looked at the debate around fluoride, but have been lucky enough to have lived in country areas a large amount of my adult life, so haven't had to deal with it to a large extent.

The video talks about a "take back the tap" campaign, which is essentially about providing clean drinking water to everyone. The narrator does concede that there are places where one should NOT drink the water as it is unsafe, so therefore bottled water is essential, but generally, tap water should suffice for our hydration needs. And some people do not like the taste of tap water; may I suggest stuff like catching rain water in buckets? Not a viable option in Perth at the moment, lol, but I used to do it in winter over here. Just a thought.

So, in answer to the original question, would I pay? No, I would take the option of free tap water, and I would insist that that be available not only for myself, but for everyone.

Onwithit

nights are a waste of time
Gold Member
Ok, I digest too...

Catching rainwater in buckets sounds like a good idea, you'd need a few buckets.

I make the point that it's Not the same “good idea” as drinking water from roof run offs, into rainwater tanks, especially if you live near lots of trees where birds have most probably been flying over your roof and defecated on to it.
Then one day the rain washes all the bird filth into your rainwater tank where you have decided that the rain water tastes a lot better & sweeter than tap water and so it must be pure. Just have a good think Why it tastes sweeter...YUK! don’t forget to boil it first.

I have a food outlet, of sorts, and if you had bought a meal and insisted in free cup of tap water, I’d say “ No way”
I would insist you get a Free cup of cold spring water (that I’ve been buying in bulk containers)

Last edited:

ohhnoes

Bronze Member
No i wouldn't pay, but it would be a nice gesture if the restaurant was to offer tapped water.

Onwithit

nights are a waste of time
Gold Member
Footnote:
“the most stupid things you see, when you haven’t got a gun handy”
Did some, simple, practical research this morning.
Empty 15 litre plastic spring water containers weigh 504 grams .
Empty 1.5 litre plastic spring water containers weigh 47 grams each.

So much for my conscious efforts to reduce my impact on this polluted environment.
I guess humanity’s ignorance is the prime cause of pollution.

Unfortunately, I just cannot drink my tap water.
Fortunately, we have Council supplied recycling bins that I put all plastic, metal and cardboard into in the hope that it actually gets recycled.
But, you never know.