Would you pay 2 million dollars for a dog..............

Ms Sue

Legend Member
A TIBETAN mastiff puppy has been sold in China for almost $US2 million ($A2.20 million), a report says, in what could be the most expensive dog sale ever.

A property developer paid 12 million yuan ($A2.09 million) for the one-year-old golden-haired mastiff at a “luxury pet’’ fair on Tuesday in the eastern province of Zhejiang, the Qianjiang Evening News reported.

“They have lion’s blood and are top-of-the-range mastiff studs,’’ the dog’s breeder Zhang Gengyun was quoted as telling the paper, adding that another red-haired canine had sold for 6 million yuan.

Enormous and sometimes ferocious, with round manes lending them a passing resemblance to lions, Tibetan mastiffs have become a prized status symbol among China’s wealthy, sending prices skyrocketing.

The golden-haired animal was 80 centimetres tall, and weighed 90 kilograms, Zhang said, adding that he was sad to sell the animals. Neither was named in the report.

“Pure Tibetan mastiffs are very rare, just like our nationally treasured pandas, so the prices are so high,’’ he said.

One red mastiff named “Big Splash” reportedly sold for 10 million yuan in 2011, in the most expensive dog sale then recorded.

The buyer at the Zhejiang expo was said to be a 56-year-old property developer from Qingdao who hopes to breed dogs himself, according to the report.

The newspaper quoted the owner of a mastiff breeding website as saying that last year one animal sold for 27 million yuan at a fair in Beijing.

But an industry insider surnamed Xu told the paper that the high prices may be the result of insider agreements among breeders to boost their dogs’ worth.

“A lot of the sky-high priced deals are just breeders hyping each other up, and no money actually changes hands,’’ Xu said.

Owners say the mastiffs, descendants of dogs used for hunting by nomadic tribes in Central Asia and Tibet, are fiercely loyal and protective.
433794-73687b06-af31-11e3-9d7e-f018f46e0213.jpg

Dez

...the floor is lava
Legend Member
2 million....no, but Gosh! Aren't they frakin CUTE!!!....and now I kinda want one...but not for 2 million...

Happy2

Legend Member
And to think I whinged for a week (More if I'm honest) about what I paid for my last sheepdog

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
With a price tag like that, it spells high maintenance. If your married, boy there be dog fight with the spouse.

I

iwtt69

Hard to say - have never been a fan for 'buying' luxury animals... I'm more into the fostering and rescue.

what the report wrote make sense though; it's just to boost the price of the dogs without any money changing hands..

O

Olivia Grace

Oh my gosh!!! They are the cutest:) 2mill is a bit steep tho:/

svengali

Foundation Member
800mm high and weighing 90kg's??

I'll bet the food bill would bankrupt most people. Still, you could buy a saddle and ride him to work instead of driving so there is a small saving there.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
No way.............and just think about all the hair around the place sticking to clothes (especially black ones :woot:) and the smell when they get wet :yuck: and the amount of dog poo in the garden:wtf:..........ok I think you guys got it.........I am not a dog person.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
No way.............and just think about all the hair around the place sticking to clothes (especially black ones :woot:) and the smell when they get wet :yuck: and the amount of dog poo in the garden:wtf:..........ok I think you guys got it.........I am not a dog person.

Well, if one can afford 2mill for these pooches, they must have a maid or two in their mansion to clean up after these beasts.

W

wr3xr

2million to old mate is probably 2k to the rest of us.

I was in UAE and saw a families collection of exotic pets. Lions, cheetahs and tigers, all very well looked after in enclosures like a zoo.. Might have been bought illegally but if you got the money, why not!

Happy2

Legend Member
Chinas one child policy has a lot to answer for
Cant have a second child so have a surrogate kid in the form of a dog

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Ahoy I agree with Homer, the dog has his own Gand Dog House with maids and gardeners LOL
hehehehehe that would be so like super rich people...........guess you have to expect everything from them if they are keen to spend 2 mill on a dog.

T

Thatguy

I'm actually rather surprised noone has mentioned the look on the dudes face in the photo..

cos it's CREEPY!!!!...

tumblr_m5s281r2NJ1qbaj4uo1_500.jpg

and he kinda looks like the guy from harold and kumar.. and that makes it creepier..

article-2190790-149DF323000005DC-472_306x423.jpg

E

estafarr

Yeah - I can think of a hundred better things to do with $2M that produce doggy doo in large quantities even if the maid does pick it up you're sure to step in it one day....and I agree 'Thatguy' the owner looks a bit orgasmic too...creepy for sure...