Tour of duty, SAS doco. Tonight channel 10.

W

WRXXXR

I'm sure I'm not the only armchair solder (BF3 FTW!) on here but tonight there's an SAS doco on channel 10 at 7.30 which I'm sure will make us normal blokes look weak as piss. Hopefully it's as good as the ABC one a while back.

Trailer on YouTube as well.

fifoboy

Gold Member
First 3/4s of the docco has mostly been about the Holsworthy boys at 2 Commando and the IRR, they showed a bit of footage of Brett Wood, bought a shiver to my spine, great bloke and missed by a lot of boys at 6RAR and 4RAR Cdo/2 Commando.

I hear that ch One is going to show a 90 min version next week.

Demon

Legend Member
First 3/4s of the docco has mostly been about the Holsworthy boys at 2 Commando and the IRR, they showed a bit of footage of Brett Wood, bought a shiver to my spine, great bloke and missed by a lot of boys at 6RAR and 4RAR Cdo/2 Commando.

I hear that ch One is going to show a 90 min version next week.

Knew some SAS boys in earlier life. Great guys, take great risks, and do great stuff. Pity the politicians stuff them around with inadequate compo when they are injured or killed. A real scandal, but they are willing to risk the soldiers' lives for a few measly votes.

fifoboy

Gold Member
Extended 90 minute version next week, Monday 9.30 on ch One.

Hardest fight most blokes I know have had is with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

C

chathcock

Agree with you wholeheartedly Fifoboy.

For what these guys do they really don't get suitably rewarded and taken care of when their time is up.

I happen to be personal friends with several serving and recently discharged SASR boys, and it is bordering on criminal they crap they have to go through dealing with veterans affairs once they are discharged.

That said, I must say the army itself DOES look after them in every way possible while they are still in, from the best doctors to shrinks and rehab possible.

As for most of the Doco being about the 4RAR commandos etc thats probably because the majority of what the SASR does these days doesn;t make for good TV. Its all mainly long range recon, mentoring and intel gathering these days.

All the exciting kinking in doors and blowing stuff up is generally done by the TAG east and TAG west groups these days, ever since there were formed after 9/11 anyway.

Still, I'll be watching :) Never know who you'll see and be able to hang it on tomorrow!

fifoboy

Gold Member
It's been a couple of years since 4RAR was on the order of battle, they were renamed 2 Commando two and a half years ago.
TAG W and TAG E aren't operating outside of Australia, that's a domestic capability. Also only TAG E was raised after 9/11, the original TAG has been around in one form or another for 31 years, the raising of TAG E was inevitable, they just needed 4RAR Commando to get up and running before they could kick it off, it would most probably happened earlier if Timor hadn't kicked off.