• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Supersize VS. Superskinny

honestman

Gold Member
Eating disorders. One issue that everyone perhaps can relate.

Been watching this doco about two contrasting differences : the supersize & superskinny. Yes, we've seen statistics that our nation's growing waistlines would get even more worse. Although this doco is based in the UK, it uses the US as a statistical basis, or as another regional benchmark; to show them just how comparatively worse it is currently.

...And also how worse it could get.

But what if there was at least a study or a reality comparison show where you have two different genetics / human somamotype profiles both exchanging dietary habits? Although the doco didn't address or explain any genetical differences (which, IMO - provides a far more insightful controlling barometer in our psychological relation to our environment - in this case - food) - but still - having these stark contrast / stark exchange of dietary habits alone DOES and CAN make a difference.

Perhaps the old saying still could work? The way to learn is to be within the shoes of others?

After watching just a few snippets of Biggest Losers, and Jamie Oliver's food revolutions, etc - so far I don't think these shows have shown a case study of utlising a dietary exchange between the participant/s or anything similar before (even many of Jamie's cooking shows and recipes were known to be under scrutiny for having questionable amount of fats, sugars, etc).

A multitude of problems await in the century we all live in. Politics and conspiracies aside. My university lecturer was sort of right. He had an inept belief that we are all getting "insane" because of the food we eat.

Dallas

Legend Member
I think you're right Honest Man, when I was at school there was one person in any class year that would have been considered over weight, now there's many. Physical Education as far as I've been told is no longer compulsory - even swimming lessons aren't. I've noticed on US forums that women there call overweight curvy and then tell normally healthy high school girls that they're too skinny. None refer to the body mass index any more as apparently it doesn't allow for big bones that can add another 30kg! and guys.. well we all know from another thread they are just big stinky bums! My favourite Sydney w/l says she's curvy yet she's so hot that no one can pronounce her name without the risk of fainting! but in the US she'd be told she's skinny. I think maybe the food and lack of focus on exercise is making a lot of people a bit crazy.... not sure what my excuse is :) Good info though Honest Man - ;-)

honestman

Gold Member
I think you're right Honest Man, when I was at school there was one person in any class year that would have been considered over weight, now there's many. Physical Education as far as I've been told is no longer compulsory - even swimming lessons aren't. I've noticed on US forums that women there call overweight curvy and then tell normally healthy high school girls that they're too skinny.

From my experience in college and younger days I could certainly share more or less the same experience as yours...but surprising that you've been told that PE is no longer compulsory, that already speaks as a problem in itself in volumes...

Back in when I was in Yrs (8 I think, in 1999) I remembered only one instance. One session. One time only. Where we were given a video lesson on nutrition. And that was it. Everyone just kept calling names over the room. Nothing was ever followed up as a "general awareness seminar" (though we had one about alcoholic addictions) to the day I grad' since then.

I've noticed on US forums that women there call overweight curvy and then tell normally healthy high school girls that they're too skinny.

Yes, I am aware and realise of this stigma quite sometime ago. Well, in the US - everything's pretty much the 'opposite' of what we believe is 'right' or 'wrong'. Nothing seems right or wrong over there anyway it seems!

Happy2

Legend Member
And bad dietary habits The one thing that does my head in is why is it often the poorer sections of the community that seem to have the biggest consumption of crap food When it is so much cheaper for mum or dad to go to the market and buy fresh fruit& veg and their meat

And as for Dallas's comment re sport at school I loved PE it was far better than sitting in the maths class And Lunch and morning break was filled with games like Brandy British Bulldog etc But even my grown boys said most lunch games were banned because schools are now to scared of being sued

Dallas

Legend Member
Ahh yes brandy and british bulldog, I loved those, they were so physical and violent, you'd get back to class with your uniform ripped, tennis ball bruises on your head, cuts scratches - it was awesome! Great for boys to get rid of excess energy. So if they're banned, what do the boys do?

Happy2

Legend Member
Ahh yes brandy and british bulldog, I loved those, they were so physical and violent, you'd get back to class with your uniform ripped, tennis ball bruises on your head, cuts scratches - it was awesome! Great for boys to get rid of excess energy. So if they're banned, what do the boys do?

Stir up a fight between to mates and film it and post it on you tube
As for Bulldog Mum hated it Either a night darning or hoping she had enough readies for another school uniform

sparky

Legend Member
Now they go back to class still full of energy and distract every one else and play up ,then get told they have ADHD and get drugged up to slow them down again

Dallas

Legend Member
Now they go back to class still full of energy and distract every one else and play up ,then get told they have ADHD and get drugged up to slow them down again

Wow that's awful, no wonder so many people seem to be home schooling their kids now.

Langtrees VIP Perth 3

Diamond Member
Bring back compulsory PE and more team sports. I have 3 grown children and they are still friends with those kids they played sport with in school.
I am always a strong believer that kids that play sport stay out of court xx

Happy2

Legend Member
Its a shame kids cant be kids anymore I know there was the odd broken arm at the monkey bars And even more boys watching the girls hang upside on the monkey bars
But it got out the pent up energy as Dallas and sparky say and
it wasn't as if it is like now where its violence for violence sake it was just fun . Kids cant have fun now Plus when a boy does get his first smack /hit
probably as a late teen nowadays. He wonders what the hell happened as he has been in cotton wool for his whole life and now ...
He also finds out this thing they teach That there are no losers no failing Is a crock

C

colzilla

I got expelled from school at 14. Now my only friend is Mr Ca$h.
Some people get all the luck.

Happy2

Legend Member
Is Mr Ca$h really your friend Col You seem to be always palming him off to other people?

T

Tania Admin

I agree that the population is getting bigger. I have children at school, swimming is included in their curriculum, as is PE. I think the problem rests on parents. Junk food, soft drinks, not enough water, tiny city blocks where they can't run around in a yard and not enough exercise in their home life. My kids are a healthy weight, are energetic. We walk, kayak, ride, swim and eat very little processed food.
I also agree that ADHD and many other behavioral issues can be helped by the right diet and exercise.

C

colzilla

Mr Dole can always help Mr Ca$h if things get a bit tough and I somehow get lazier.

honestman

Gold Member
For those who have tuned in to recent news - as we're going to increasingly rely a lot more on China; there's no doubt that they're getting "comfortable" to mimic the lifestyle of the west. Particularly with the mass opening of KFCs over there. Look at the child obesity. It's quite alarming.

- A University of Southern California study carried out in 2006 found that the average body fat of Hong Kong children was 21 percent, which is extremely high. go to link

Happy2

Legend Member
Honestman They also put the size of the chinese kids Especially boys Down to the single child policy They are being spoiled rotten The one an only son etc

Not the only reason of course as you say Mimicing the west is a strange thing to me
Look at the Mid east A friend was working in Saudi Arabia he said The teens were spouting The demon west line, while wearing jeans, Backward baseball caps and eating Burger King and drinking pepsi/Coke

C

colzilla

In my youth I wore my baseball cap backwards too... Don't think many kids escape that one.

Now I pay for sex... Is there a connection?

Happy2

Legend Member
Well I am showing my age but kids did not wear baseball caps at all when I was a kid
Let alone backwards

Dallas

Legend Member
I wore one backwards once and I suddenly started saying "yo" and "bro" every second word and Jamaican Gangster rap started to sound ok :0

C

colzilla

D I've now upgrade to a Barmah. Which is like an Akubra except for cheapskates.

Dallas

Legend Member
Sounds good Mr C, do you leave your hat on when your having your weekly visits or are wearing hats considered an extra ?

Happy2

Legend Member
I think with some ladies Taking off clothes (Either participant ) would be considered an extra It seems to be happening more often The extras

Happy2

Legend Member
I dont understand this Etiquette thing You have to take off your hat when you go inside BUT you have to put a raincoat on to go inside