Sticky: What is it with so called 'Sticky' threads that aren't?

vortexxx

Silver Member
-- start rant --

Whats the deal with all these non-sticky threads taking up valuable forum real-estate?

My understanding is that for a thread to be 'sticky' it should be a topic that is being very frequently contributed to or updated. Not just one that's viewed lots of times, or being created by a particular user.

There are a number of so called 'sticky' threads on this forum that are months old, and have had less than 10 comments/contributions. IMO this definitely doesn't constitute as a sticky (or popular).

In a way, its like crying wolf - why have a call to action (such as 'this is a really popular thread') when it's definitely not?

Apologies in advance for any unintended offense I may have caused - but i'm a frequenter of many discussion forums/boards across the interwebs, and this is the only one which abuses the 'sticky' concept.

-- end rant --

Sir Stefan

Agent Provocateur
Foundation Member
Only the site owners and authorised moderators can create a 'sticky' and it is the site owner (who pays the bills) perogative to do so, if they believe there is benefit in doing so.

Site 'contributors' may request a particular thread be made into a 'sticky' by providing sufficient support to that request... the final word being that of the site owner/managers.

Trust this helps.

fifoboy

Gold Member
I mod on 3 boards, things that seem sticky worthy at the time, later aren't, it's just a case of getting around to pruning threads that aren't worth the bandwidth of hosting anymore.

vortexxx

Silver Member
Thanks SirStephan - I figured it boiled down to who you were as opposed to what the thread was about.

That still doesn't change the fact that (IMO) it defeats the true purpose of what a sticky thread is supposed to be (i.e. one that has a high level of forum participation). As I mentioned before, i've never visited any other forum that engages in such a practice.

Perhaps, if the owner or moderators want to hijack the viewing order of the threads with posts they deem important maybe they could consider;

1) Starting a new Announcements folder/section where said owner/moderators can post their 'sticky' announcements.
2) Change the title from Sticky to Announcement (because thats what it really boils down to).
3) Whilst it could be construed as spamming, another option would be to PM members with the Sticky topics. Personally i'm not a fan of this option, but it at least gets the message across to members.
4) Have the owner/moderator remove old/stale sticky threads after they've passed their use-by date *Added after Fifoboy's suggestion*

Just my 2 x cents worth ;)

Last edited:
T

TemptMe

Agree with you there Vortexx....misleading!!!Why is this a sticky with only 3 posts now four???

vortexxx

Silver Member
LOL - Guilty as charged TempMe ;)

I started the title of my thread with "Sticky:' purely for the purpose highlighting the whole topic at hand.

Sir Stefan

Agent Provocateur
Foundation Member
Whats wrong with 'Live and Let Live'?

I subscibe to the morning paper, home delivered... Whilst I 'scan' every page before embarking upon my work day I do not read, nor am I necessarily interested in, every article that appears in the newspaper.... never the less I still purchase it every day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year and have done so for several decades.

But I don't write to the newspaper suggesting they delete certain articles simply because I have no personal interest in them... I simply read what I choose to read... and so can those who enter this forum.

So, if there happens to be a 'sticky' which does not interest them they do not need to open it and can just 'turn the page'...as I do every morning with my Newspaper.

Confession: Whilst I was NOT the founder... Nor am I the owner of this forum, I am currently the one who pays the costs associated with it...which enables this forum to continue to exist.

For that I 'assume' the right to take certain liberties... one of which is to create 'stickys' on subjects which I may choose.

Sorry if any of that offends...but them is the facts!

aussie_single34

Resident kinky pervert
Foundation Member
SS mods the board so I guess he can put some clag on whatever he likes
Relevant or not

C

corneus

It's the Golden Rule, innit?

He who has the gold makes the rules!
::)

:thumbsup:

Sir Stefan

Agent Provocateur
Foundation Member
It's the Golden Rule, innit?

He who has the gold makes the rules!
::)

:thumbsup:

corneous... I guess, in a crude sort of way, that is the 'bottom line'

However I would not want, nor seek to surpress any forum member for passing his/her view on the subject...provided it was done in a constructive and non-agressive manner.