Should prisoners be allowed conjugal visits?

Phoebe

Some Village lost an Idiot!
Legend Member
I am sorry to hear about your past experiences Phoebe.

I will maintain that once convicted they are paying for their crimes. And a rehabilitated prisoner with life and social skills at the end of their stay is far better than one that has suffered cruel and unusual punishment for an inordinate amount of time. The former has the ability to reintegrate and turn to a better life. The latter leaves little hope.

No one is suggesting the current criminal justice system is perfect btw. But it is certainly better than many alternatives.

If a prisoner gets sentenced to 3 years get paroled for good behavior then I am okay with that, but if they re offend then they finish that 3 years plus the time added, then if they get released and re-offend for a serious crime then the minimum sentence should be Life... 3 strikes and you are gone and gone for natural life...

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
also how often do you hear on the news that a prisoner is running a business of sorts ( drugs , stand-over ) these are done by the use of technology, so remove these items and let the crims pay their dues to us the victims who work hard to pay our taxes and ownership of goods .

i do realise that it is a catch 22 situation.

this is punishment for a stealing offence in Saudi Arabia , it is very barbaric but i bet ya anyone who was in the crowd watch this happen they themselves would not even think of doing it .

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lst5b_punishment-for-stealing-in-saudi-arabia_news

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
Whatever your views on conjugal visits, I'd be very wary of emulating Uncle Sam when it comes to corrections policy. Not unless you are prepared to pay for increasing numbers of prisons and all that which comes with churning out more and more ex-cons from a system where a relatively high proportion of 'harmless' first-time offenders graduate to become hard-core lifelong criminals.

The US leads the world, both among the most populous nations...
prisoners2-01.png

...and the most developed nations.
Screen-Shot-2012-10-15-at-10.25.43-AM.png

Phoebe

Legend Member
prisoners2-01.png

And America does the right thing by the victims of crimes, The 3 strikes you are gone law is brilliant, I have watched a TV show where by a 21 year old committed his 3rd offense as an adult and well he was sentenced to life no parole the way it should be, These TV shows here like RBT glamorize crime, drive without a license in America you head towards to prison for a while, do that here get a fine, do it again here kill someone get 6 months out in 3 on good behavior, do that in America expect to get life as its plain and simple 1st degree capital murder as you should of not been behind the wheel of a car.... so if developed means soft and kind to criminals then give me the American System any day...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-06/fox-news-anchor-claims-australians-have-no-freedom/6831618

He is bang on the money there... 10/10

MrBig

Diamond Member
Bear in mind that you'd need to factor in the efficiency on law enforcement and prosecuting departments. Perhaps the US have a much better record at catching the offenders (whether or not they actual 'get the right man') and prosecuting attorneys are better than government appointed defence attorneys. Many countries' law enforcement departments might be so overwhelmed with work that they simply do not have the work force resulting in a very low rate of solved crimes.
Simple statistics often misrepresent the bigger picture when used exclusively of all other related factors.

Phoebe

Legend Member
Bear in mind that you'd need to factor in the efficiency on law enforcement and prosecuting departments. Perhaps the US have a much better record at catching the offenders (whether or not they actual 'get the right man') and prosecuting attorneys are better than government appointed defence attorneys. Many countries' law enforcement departments might be so overwhelmed with work that they simply do not have the work force resulting in a very low rate of solved crimes.
Simple statistics often misrepresent the bigger picture when used exclusively of all other related factors.

I wonder if Australia would be in such a crime way eg... Ice Pandemic if Australia Adopted the Singaporean punishment on drugs and drug dealers and drug possession, if we want to be more integrated into the South east Asian way then can we adopt their drug penalties too.....

MrBig

Diamond Member
I wonder if Australia would be in such a crime way eg... Ice Pandemic if Australia Adopted the Singaporean punishment on drugs and drug dealers and drug possession, if we want to be more integrated into the South east Asian way then can we adopt their drug penalties too.....

I've already stated in an earlier post that what we need in Australia is a leader like the late Lee Kuan Yew.

MrBig

Diamond Member
A few years ago I was having a conversation with NSW prison guard expressing his discontent at working in that particular prison as to many prisoners were causing trouble for the purpose that in doing so they may get transferred to a maximum security prison that had better facilities for the prisoner. Prisons is often a better environment than a prisoner's home environment. What the?

T

Tania Admin

I honestly believe prisons should be more like this:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...nd-swelter-in-120-degree-heat/article/2546924
Whatever your views on conjugal visits, I'd be very wary of emulating Uncle Sam when it comes to corrections policy. Not unless you are prepared to pay for increasing numbers of prisons and all that which comes with churning out more and more ex-cons from a system where a relatively high proportion of 'harmless' first-time offenders graduate to become hard-core lifelong criminals.

The US leads the world, both among the most populous nations...
prisoners2-01.png

Screen-Shot-2012-10-15-at-10.25.43-AM.png
The prisoners who leave the prison I mentioned have the biggest rate of not re-offending. I believe there is a strong message there.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Ahoy;- NO
Hard Time is Hard Time or bring back Public Floggings

This is the kind of statement that would turn prisoners gay. Why not some froggin around instead of floggings...tell them society loves them and go ahead have spread some loving...keep their relationship going...giving them hope to turn the page. etc etc etc....

MrBig

Diamond Member
But it doesn't deter others from offending. Need to send a strong message to prevent there being more victims of crime.

T

Tania Admin

But it doesn't deter others from offending. Need to send a strong message to prevent there being more victims of crime.
I believe it would if it was a standard. All you need to do is break the chain "as such".

Miss Monique

Adelaide's original Plus Size Delight
Legend Member
Having previously worked in a woman's prison I find all the comments here very interesting and suprised at public perception of the prison system. Many consensual sexual relationship go on withinn prison mainly between inmates and rare occasions between inmates and staff. From memory I believe one of the female prison in Victoria may have offered these type of visits at one stage. Then you have the prisoners both male and female that go outside the prison walls as part of re entering society on work, study or family leave this is generally long term inmates. So sex life in prison is alive. Locking someone up is a way to keep community safe and gives the offender time to think about what they have done and make changes to their lives. Punishment I don't see as the way they live in the inside is much better than many in the real world hence why so many return like a revolving door. A free roof food to some friends are there. In some sections normal clothing and key to their front door just a prison fence between life inside and the outside world.