"newsflash"

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Some of us have been on this planet a bit longer then us and so I`ve decided to ask... What moment in history do you remember the most???
What makes you stop and think..." I was doing this when it happened"

Not so life changing for myself but I think it was Lady Di`s car accident. I was at work at the time and didn`t believe it until I saw it on the evening news.

B

BigBlackCock

My birthday, I was being born. Happens same date every year. Brings back lots of fond memories. Heck! Sometimes it brought back fond mammaries too depending on which girl I was dating at the time.

F

Farm Boy

I wasn't aware of Lady Di death or the Twin towers until a day or so

after the event but saw one small step live and Goff's execution as it happen.

F

Farm Boy

My mum brought me this in 1965 .

Elkes Sir Winston Churchill commemorative biscuit tin c1965

E

Emilee

For me it was defiently 9/11, I was getting ready for school and I remember it like it was yesterday.

B

BigBlackCock

As an aside, this year it'll be a decade in Sept since Sept 11. Shows time flies even when you're not having fun.

P

PC_Thug

Have to be 9/11 first and foremost. Couldn't sleep that night and was channel surfing only to find what I thought was a disaster movie. Watched the whole thing live.

Still with me to this day as I have several friends fighting the good fight in some of the worlds sandpits because of it.

Secondly would be Lady Di's car accident. Still remeber that too, was in the car on the way to an appointment with a client of mine in morley. I can even tell you which corner I was turning when I heard the newsflash on the radio.

C

Curious1

9/11 is the one event ill always remember. Was very life changing.

C

Curious1

BBC, I was in the army. Deployment for me was very soon after. Spent time in Iraq before crossing in to Afghanistan. Spent quite some time over there
After that, worked private security on the roads in and out of Kabul.

Those experience changed my life.... and that's not to say all bad.

B

BigBlackCock

oh okay. reason i asked was because I remember the weeks after 9/11 and people were sending emails all over the place about how they'll never take life for granted again and how they'll endeavour to tell everyone how much they mean to each other in the office, their everyday lives etc. Barely a month later, the two industries I was involved in - finance and advertising - were back to their regular bitching, backbiting, backstabbing selves.

C

Curious1

Fair comment mate.
My reasons were not so melodramatic and acted as that .

I was actually asleep when it happened. i got a phone call saying to turn tv on which I did. After watching and listening for maybe an hour I remember thinking 'fuck I hope i get to go... i really wanna get in to this'. Even made a few calls to the brass ssying 'are we going to get involved. can. i go. Ill be ready in 20 minutes '' lol

S

Spaceball1

I remember both Lady Di's crash, and 9/11.

I was out helping my dad with his work when I found out about Diana, and saw it on a tv in the bar at the airport.

With 9/11, it was the day of a year 9 school excursion to a recycling plant, and me and my best mate were listening to his walkman's radio for the news updates of the event whilst on the bus there and back.

It is funny the things you remember.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Definitely Tschernobyl !!!!!! What a disaster. I was still in Europe back then and it changed our perception of life big time.
Nuclear accidents is just something we have to watch and can't do anything.....very very scary. WOW when it happens it happens.....look at Japan....again nothing can be done when radiation gets out and about.
Nuclear energy is one of the examples for a human invention that is uncontrollable and bloody scary when it goes wrong.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Definitely Tschernobyl !!!!!! What a disaster. I was still in Europe back then and it changed our perception of life big time.
Nuclear accidents is just something we have to watch and can't do anything.....very very scary. WOW when it happens it happens.....look at Japan....again nothing can be done when radiation gets out and about.
Nuclear energy is one of the examples for a human invention that is uncontrollable and bloody scary when it goes wrong.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nuclear power can indeed be very scary but I think handled the right way and it is the way to go as a future power source.
What I can`t understand is sure, the plant in Japan was build to withstand a level 8 earthquake and not a level 9 but then considering it was built in such a high risk area you would think that they would have made it a lot stronger since most earthquakes these days seem to rate at least level 6.5 or 7.

I wish Japan all the best in healing from this...

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

For me there has been a few events, most of them mentioned here...

Lady Di's death...I was at the Royal Show in Adelaide and they actually announced it over the P.A. system to the whole showground! It was the only time I've ever been among so many people and there was complete silence...

9/11 was another major event. I was waiting at the airport to catch a flight, believe it or not! And the news flash came up on the screen in the Cafe I was in! All of a sudden I had a flying phobia along with everyone else in the airport!
Now, I need to state that I'm in no way racist at all, but, as I was boarding my flight, the people in line two up from me were in full Islamic Dress! Who do you thing everyone had their eyes on? The whole flight, poor buggers, no-one took their eyes off them!

The other life stopping event for me was the 2000 Tsunami. The graphic images that were displayed on the TV for weeks on end actually gave me nightmare's at the time. It was so sad seeing all the people's devastation and the children and the visible heartbreak on so many faces.

Now I'm gonna have to go and find something happy to read...

Lisa xxx

Happy2

Legend Member
In order of Worseness
9/11 although it happened in september and should be 11/9 although I say zed as well
Then its the Bali bombing And last not by no means least lady Di I am no royalist and when it first came over the radio about a accident i thought right half an hour of news cos lady Di was in a fender bender then the news just got more sombre each hour.
Til I was feeling very sad for a woman I only knew through media and killed through media

T

TB

It would have to be 911 for me as well. For the next few days after it happened i found it really difficult to speak...it was almost like a form of shock.
I really believed there was going to be World War 3 and life was never going to be the same again.

Happy2

Legend Member
I know my big brother was flying out to Bali The next day he said the feeling
was very strange, everyone looking at each other but not saying a thing.
All that was needed was for someone of middle eastern descent to enter the lounge

W

WRXXR

Nuclear power can indeed be very scary but I think handled the right way and it is the way to go as a future power source.
What I can`t understand is sure, the plant in Japan was build to withstand a level 8 earthquake and not a level 9 but then considering it was built in such a high risk area you would think that they would have made it a lot stronger since most earthquakes these days seem to rate at least level 6.5 or 7.

I wish Japan all the best in healing from this...

I think it's all to do with the ratings for earthquakes and tsunamis are different. I'm no engineer but i think the footings for tsunamis have to be considerable deeper for strength but you need something that will flex for earthquakes? Way OT but if u believe the conspiracy thereorists haarp is to blame anyway!

Like most 9/11 was a major event but the Bali bombing hit home much harder.

As much as I love the place im always nervous about partying at night.

Happy2

Legend Member
I know I'm showing my ignorance WRXXR but what is haarp?
Secondly I have come round to thinking the Bali bombing was the bigger evil for a Aussie because it hit home, I think many of us treated Bali as our own personal playground not part of another sovereign nation

W

WRXXR

Its the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program thats run by the US military.

Basically a ionospheric research instrument that sends energy into the ionospere via a high powered transmiter.

Very capable of changing the weather and atmosphere. Essentially a much bigger version of Nicola Teslas eathquake machine. Scary stuff

Onwithit

nights are a waste of time
Gold Member
Mine cuts a little deeper & closer to home.
When My father died, is the day, 15 years ago I remember most & what I was doing.
I certainly changed my life because he was the family investment genius who made it, not me & not since.
Everything else is just general news for the masses.