"Just Be Yourself!" What if being YOU is the problem?

M

Mishaela

I'm curious? This Post is purely to invite some comment on what people think about the whole "Just Be Yourself" blah blah blah comment we all hear from time to time.

What I want to know is... What if you're a dick head? What if you don't know how to be yourself? What if you have no confidence? What if you have a secret to hide? What if you're not a dick head, but turn into one when you're nervous?

Do any of you think this comment is as helpful as when people say things like "Don't Stress" or "Just Say How You Feel" ???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
I was with a much older friend shopping about a month ago when the checkout operator asked how she was, and the friend replied, Well I just got back from Bali and have had bad diarrhoea and been coughing and sneezing for about a week. Should she have been so honest or simply lied and replied, I`m great thanks, it`s been a good day.

As for myself, I was taught when I first started working that the customer doesn`t need to know your problems are, when you are dealing with them always put on your happy, smiling face.

T

Tania Admin

Not always is it acting. Some people have flexible personalities. I can be a Tomboy and can quite easily fit in with the boys and be a little feral, then when out for a night on the town can be such a princess or fun party girl, sometimes I'm quiet, other times a total extrovert, sometimes a carer and other times I really don't give a shit, sometimes serious, sometimes carefree. Different occasions, places, moods, company all contribute .
I don't have to pretend, all of the above are 100% me..

Oh no!!!! Maybe I have a multiple personality disorder!!! Mwahahaha (and sometimes I can be just down right evil when provoked)

J

JasRob

wow being myself would be awful at times...especially when things get messy and I can't handle it anymore it will make the situation worst. So I think it would just depend on the situation, important is don't let other people step on you and also know your boundaries when to be yourself and when not to.

Happy2

Legend Member
Just be yourself
I hope that wasn't the advice given to Hitler by his Guidance Councilor

A

Alecia the Foxx

In my opinion, this particular saying is about as useful as that stupid saying, "I call a spade a spade." I prefer the old adage "To thine own self be true," which I feel says it much better. If you are being true to yourself, and hanging round a bunch of people who don't like what you represent, then you are hanging with the wrong people.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
my favorite is an adaption of my own, You can have your cake and eat if you are prepared to pay the price. Everything has a price tag, sometimes this is only time or love, but I always work out the price of that time or love and then figure out do I really want that piece of cake.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Be yourself......so easy said and so over rated. Can we actually know who we really are? I believe we play roles.....some we choose others we don't, they fall upon us thanks to social conventions. We always react to something coming from outside, meaning the society around us. We grow up in a certain culture, live with certain rules etc. I think to find out who we really are we would have to end up with a "Caspar Hauser" experiment.

R.xxxxxxxxxx

svengali

Foundation Member
I have found that as I got older and cared less about what people thought about me I got along with most people a whole lot better than when I was younger.

Can't remember who said this but I like it: "People don't think about you as much as you think about them thinking about you."