Job Losses

S

sexnut

On the news they predicted that 100,000 jobs will be lost next year. Do you think this will happen???

Miss Delights

Diamond Member
No, there are so many new mining positions opening up & if you really want a job you will do anything...I think it's a little over the top, but who knows?

P

Peter

If you want some job security apply to Rio Tinto they have 12 projects that will need staffing as well as Austdrill they need staff immediately, clean D & A needed, all trasining provided.

Demon

Legend Member
Predictions like this are a load of rubbish, pushed by people wanting publicity for their business.

did they tell you how accurate their predictions for 2011 have been?

Didn't think so.

No-one can predict what the economy will do next year.

The best that anyone can do is to tell of the risks and the potential results, depending on certain other things happening.

Picking the winners at the races has a better track record than economic prediction.

svengali

Foundation Member
Amen, Demon.

A riddle:

Q: Why did God make economists?

A: To make metereologists look good.

Demon

Legend Member
:laughing4

Why did the president cut off one hand of every economist?

A. He was tired of being told "one one hand ... but on the other ..."

Happy2

Legend Member
Even if that number came to fruition Which it wont But if it did we would never know anyway. Government depts would have it lowered by seasonal variation and other tried and true Formulae

Demon

Legend Member
BY the end of 2012, no-one wants to check the forecasts made a year earlier, except the few who are correct - due to chance.

Happy2

Legend Member
BY the end of 2012, no-one wants to check the forecasts made a year earlier, except the few who are correct - due to chance.

Chance is the economists best friend. If by chance I get a prediction right I'm on my way to being on the Reserve Bank Board

W

WRXXXR

If next year is as bad as this year a lot of people will loose their jobs as local (non mining related) businesses cut staff or close. It's happening everyday at the moment.

Mind you, December has been kind to me so we'll see what happens in January and February when things traditionally slow down.

Demon

Legend Member
WRXXXr's listing of the risks is the way to go. Then be prepared for the risks occurring.

If 2012 is not a good year, 100,000 job loss would be a great result.

China slowing down is a serious possibility. Europe getting worse is almost a certainty. US getting worse is almost a certainty. In 2008 China borrowed to replace its lost exports to Europe and US. This cannot reoccur. They have already built all the buildings, railways and roads which they need for the next decade, and the debt is too high. Scary.

W

WRXXXR

I think 2012 will be a year of common sense type spending and stream lining things in the local economy (filtering down to local business, the stuff you buy, taking lunch as opposed to buying it etc) Gone are the boom times (locally) so now you just have to be smart and responsible with money.

Demon

Legend Member
I think 2012 will be a year of common sense type spending and stream lining things in the local economy (filtering down to local business, the stuff you buy, taking lunch as opposed to buying it etc) Gone are the boom times (locally) so now you just have to be smart and responsible with money.

By normal people, and irresponsible spending by the government, resulting in more deficits, more debt and more taxes. (Repeat of the last 4 years by govt).

W

WRXXXR

I tend to agree but your wealth is created by no one other than yourself (unless it's an inheritance!). Government might be broke but it won't affect me in anyway. In terms of business it's a little different as I rely on people spending money and the problems seem to centre around uncertainty which the governments problems contributes to.

Make the right decisions (or learn to), plan, work hard etc and you'll generally have a good life. Might be a bit of a slog early on but long term it works out.

The mines will continue to boom for a while yet but they stop trying to employ muppets like they have been.

Happy2

Legend Member
But WR3XR what will happen to Kermit if they stop employing Muppets he is 56(?)
now Where would he get a job

W

WRXXXR

Surely that's about the age for a celebrity rehab stint once it's revealed that he's been snorting coke off high class hookers arses and it's broken up his family?

Happy2

Legend Member
High grade coke is used to make steel, isn't it. Not meant to treat your skin.

Sorry Demon silly of me I was thinking of the canned fizzy variety The stuff made here compared to the iffy versions made in China its Probably from the same plant that made that baby formula

Demon

Legend Member
Sorry Demon silly of me I was thinking of the canned fizzy variety The stuff made here compared to the iffy versions made in China its Probably from the same plant that made that baby formula

The coke drink you are referring to has never been that same since it started breaching 'truth in labelling' laws. Since about 1914 there has not been any coke in coke.

Where is the law enforcement. Deceptive advertising, or labelling.

S

sexnut

If you want some job security apply to Rio Tinto they have 12 projects that will need staffing as well as Austdrill they need staff immediately, clean D & A needed, all trasining provided.

Sign me up!!!!!!!!!1