• We are setting up Trans World in the state boards this will take a few days Perth has already been done.these boards will be open to general public and they can also comment without membership. This is a trial only.

Is there such a thing as a great workplace or are those days long gone?

C

Contrarian

I've just spent 2 hours with a friend who's doing it tough sort of. And to be honest, I had heaps of positive things to say but can also say this after thinking about so many other friends at different workplaces.

I think the days when someone stayed at a company for 10 years let alone a lifetime are well and truly over.

This friend of mine, in the last 9 years, has spent an average of 1 and a half to two years at different workplaces - and to be honest, it's because most workplaces she's been to has had an arsehole for a boss, a lousy work environment or colleagues who are arseholes and get away with it. I feel sorry for her. She's 53 and has a good 10 years of working life left in her and I wish I could tell her there are still great workplaces left.

Given the cross section of life on this board, how many people here - not working for themselves, but under someone else have found this - the corporate bullshit of "we're a team" etc is just that - bullshit. And if you can stay at a job for 2 years before the workplace politics gets to you - you're already VERY lucky.

I did say something which I thought was good - that if it was only her, then maybe the problem was her's. But we analyzed all the places she'd worked at and I asked her how many people are still left there after she left when she's popped by or kept in touch and the answer with the exception of 1, was none - their entire staff had turned over and left.

What say you and the workplace and leaving?

Salvatore

Silver Member
I tend to agree that on the whole most workplaces have an expiry date where you either leave or push on, hate it, but put up with it for financial or other reasons. I think whatever the workplace ultimately the human resource is just that a resource. As for myself I find that by two years a person will know the positives and negatives of the people and the workplace. Most of the time the negatives stand out the most.

C

Contrarian

So you think, given what I've said, that she can expect to work for two years before moving on - unless she's in a workplace where she doesn't have major issues to make her move on? Given what I've thought and observed now in hindsight in my discussion with her this evening, I guess it's the case. Two years - wow!

A

Al Swearengen

Hi Contrarian,
I think you're dead on with your analysis. The longest I've lasted in any company, in a variety of industries has been about 2 years. And for all the same reasons.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
I would agree, a time period of 2 to 4 years is my view point. I lot people move on before 2 years and lot people get pushed out by the 4th year. There are a lot of reasons why this is occurring and you hear more and more about this subject. If you look at the industrial conditions and work contracts, the average work contract that have been given to someone for up to 6 years can become "contested" basically what I am saying is the person who has the contract can come up with the help of their union an excellent case for the job to be consider permanent, after 6 years of ongoing contracts. Why is this issue for a company? then the company has to give that person more entitlements, which includes long service leave and it is harder for the company to remove people after thenybecome permanent(not impossible just takes more time an effort on the company behalf) there are more and more examples that occur in the work place. The bottom line is if you like where you work, then you are one of the lucky ones, most of us do our time and wait for the weekends to arrive.

T

Tania Admin

I really love my job and where I work. I am hoping my employment here lasts a long time. One thing I have noticed is that people who are in mundane jobs which involve repetition tend to move on quicker A: they become complacent B: they get bored. Luckily for me thgere is always something new to do here and always some excitement, and there is plenty of mental stimulation too.

C

colzilla

I've worked for myself or been involved in the family business most of my life. It's only in the last 5-6 years that I have been working REAL jobs.
What an eye opening experience. Over worked under paid. Taken for granted. Used and abused. Total lack of appreciation for being a good worker. Being conscientious and loyal mean absolutely nothing. After a while I think why do I bother.
You are a number thats all you are and If you don't abide with their Team Member mentality you will be outcast.
Luckily for me I don't have any wife or kids so doing nothing is always an option

Justlookin

Justlookin
Gold Member
I love my work and the people I work with. Really nice group of engineers and we all get along well. The only think that will make me change jobs is the possibility of mining slowing down.

TheCock

Legend Member
Love to work at LTs or a brothel lol Never be dull for a moment! I can try the girls out, be there first time to ease into the profession. Im looking for a job hoping to get something bearable

Happy2

Legend Member
I know I am a mongrel of a boss I fired myself last week for being a slack arse but I did not do the paperwork properly and had to re-instate myself

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Before I started in the adult industry the average time I stayed in the same job was about 9 months with exception of one place. Guess it is a bit of a mix why people move on a lot faster. The main reason is most likely that the workplace sucks......... depending on the industry. (Some industries are known for their 'bad' work environment, high pressure and bad pay more than other ones.)
Second reason is that modern society is far more flexible and mobile. Would be interesting to see how many people do not only change the job but relocate at the same time.

R.xxxxxxxxx

PS: H2....maybe you should ask your boss for a proper contract.........sounds like your working relation ship has been going on for ever. I bet you and him grow old together ;)

C

Contrarian

Well, my friend got the boot today with two weeks pay and a bit for leave accumulated. She was mostly relieved - obviously it was an unhappy workplace for her and the people left behind. It's a joke, she got the boot after an "investigation" and then the boss decides if she stays or goes - not a panel or anything. Even her union rep reckons she's hard done by.

Told her to look forward and concentrate on getting a job before the busy Christmas period starts and she has to complete with schoolkids as well. Life!

Fudd

Foundation Member
Well, my friend got the boot today with two weeks pay and a bit for leave accumulated. She was mostly relieved - obviously it was an unhappy workplace for her and the people left behind. It's a joke, she got the boot after an "investigation" and then the boss decides if she stays or goes - not a panel or anything. Even her union rep reckons she's hard done by.

Told her to look forward and concentrate on getting a job before the busy Christmas period starts and she has to complete with schoolkids as well. Life!

....this is like Mike Tyson's left testicle.....it ain't fair and it ain't right!!!....there may be more to this than meets the eye, however, if she was hard done by, she should look at giving this "boss" (great ppl skills!!!) a bit of a blood nose and look at an unfair dismissal claim or some such mechanism. I mean, any prospective employer may think long & hard at employing her considering that she was given the boot.

C

colzilla

....this is like Mike Tyson's left testicle.....it ain't fair and it ain't right!!!....there may be more to this than meets the eye, however, if she was hard done by, she should look at giving this "boss" (great ppl skills!!!) a bit of a blood nose and look at an unfair dismissal claim or some such mechanism. I mean, any prospective employer may think long & hard at employing her considering that she was given the boot.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.
I got the sack from one of my jobs... The same company went into receivership 18 months later.
Seems as if my bad work ethic was contagious right up to the top.

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
i've been at the same workplace now for 27.5 years ,so i guess its a great workplace,have had a lot of ups and downs over the years,seen a lot of employee turnover,including management,

Happy2

Legend Member
I do agree there are bad workplaces but even good ones have shocking moments Sometimes I wonder if we expect to much from our workplaces
It is a place of work not a social club after all

W

WRXXXR

I havent had many jobs. One company for 7 years. awful pay and shit hours but lots of good parties and some unreal co-workers.

I offsided for a tradie who'd sacked 43 offsiders in 2 years. I was probably with him for around 8 months before being given the sack for what i dont know. Then 6 months later he called again, offered me work + more money and sacked me within 6 weeks lol.

End of the day work might not be enjoyable but you gotta put food on the table. I think 2-3 years is about normal these days. Long service leave will become a distant memory!!

C

Contrarian

Fudd, I can assure you I'm familiar with her case and met her fellow employees. Her union rep says she has a very strong case with Fairwork Australia. I've told her to go that direction but concentrate on getting a new job - she doesn't need two things to drain her energy and wait around for a result with Fairwork.

As far as being dismissed goes, and I'm no HR expert here, I gather it's illegal for one company to run down an ex-employee (and of course, I'm sure it happens) when they leave - also, it's up to her to put it in her resume.

As I read the comments here, I've been lucky - or maybe put with a lot of shit more likely in the workplace, it's obvious to me that two to 3 years at ANY workplace these days is the norm. And there are a lot of arsehole bosses and employees out there.

I know a pharmacist (and by that I don't mean a drug pusher) who has employed two people. Saturday is a busy time at his practice. He nipped out quickly to grab a sandwhich and run back into his shop. When he was out, he saw his employee having a cigarette and texting - she had told him she was running out to the toilet and would be back soon.

He was very dishearted because he's a good employer and paying good money but he also needs his staff to help him make a go of his business.

C

Contrarian

Just an update:

In my "research" I've found that HEAPS of people get sacked in their jobs and often it's 'cos they're a victim of arsehole bosses or office politics or both. Two years in any workplace these days is the norm 'cos there are a lot of shit workplaces out there, especially the larger the company.

Secondly, my friend got a new job within a week of getting sacked from her last place. She had good references and is a good worker and am glad for her that it came through.

Hope her Fairwork Australia case goes in her favour.

C

Contrarian

I think the other thing that helps these days is to have a skill that's in demand. My friend works in retail - and let's face it, it's not exactly a highly valued skill (it should be but that's the nature of retail).

If you were let's say a doctor, a tradie, a welder or whatever - if one place gave you a hard time; you'd move out and be employed somewhere else within days. Doesn't make the way employers treat employees these days a good reason to though.

Each time someone leaves, you waste more time and money training the new guy/girl. But if you treated the old one right; you'd not have that recurring problem.

Happy2

Legend Member
Each time someone leaves, you waste more time and money training the new guy/girl. But if you treated the old one right; you'd not have that recurring problem.

Thats the problem contrarian We have had a throw away culture for decades But it is not only products now, but people who are in the throwaway category as well now Or so it appears

Fudd

Foundation Member
I think the other thing that helps these days is to have a skill that's in demand. My friend works in retail - and let's face it, it's not exactly a highly valued skill (it should be but that's the nature of retail).

If you were let's say a doctor, a tradie, a welder or whatever - if one place gave you a hard time; you'd move out and be employed somewhere else within days. Doesn't make the way employers treat employees these days a good reason to though.

...and just on this, thinking outside the box and getting the right resources balance in place would also be of assistance.

I'm a compliance adviser in the AFSL/ACL area and I still see some small to medium sized firms employing a person on a full time basis but having to piggy back that engagement with non compliance work in order to fill in the time. For example, employing a person to also do Office Mgt, IT & Admin duties in addition to the key tasks for employing them. How are you going to find someone who is proficient across all of these disciplines?

What they should be doing is to look at their resource requirements and, if possible, out source those tasks that do not require a full time to be engaged.

Fudd

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;----The bottom line is if you like where you work, then you are one of the lucky ones, most of us do our time and wait for the weekends to arrive.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
I believe work places were better before the days of excessive and unnecessary bureaucratic intervention.

Bambi

Creature in the Shadows
Legend Member
of course theres still great work places out there it just takes time till you find where you fit. :)

Dallas

Legend Member
I think a great workplace is about having great people to work with and with the support from management to do your job. There isn't a lot of places like that but there are some.