How powerless we can all be sometimes.

B

BigBlackCock

I ws watching the news on Friday and it was revealed that Somalia was experiencing a drought. We all know the images - fly covered children dying agonizing slow deaths. Parents, mostly mothers, full of anguish as they slowly die and unable to provide breast milk for their starving children in turn.

What I found staggering was that it's estimated 12 million people are dying of starvation due to Somalia's drought. The news report was in the morning and it estimated that by the day's end - 40,000 would be dead already.

That's virtually half Australia's population. Never have I felt sooooo powerless. What can I do? Adopt someone via one of those community projects? Donate to Oxfam/UNHCR/CAA/The Red Cross.

And we're sending people to war in the meantime which I think we shouldn't be in. And meanwhile, people starve.

It's all very sobering.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BigBlackCock

Famine declared as drought ravages Somalia
Updated July 21, 2011 08:37:34

Video: Drought pushes Somalia into official famine (Lateline)
Photo: Nearly half of the Somali population is now in crisis. (Thomas Mukoya)

The United Nations says famine has hit two parts of rebel-held Somalia due to a severe drought affecting more than 10 million people in the Horn of Africa.

"The United Nations declared today that famine exists in two regions of southern Somalia: southern Bakool and Lower Shabelle," a statement by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs for Somalia said.

Both are areas controlled by Al Qaeda-inspired Shebab insurgents.

"Across the country nearly half of the Somali population - 3.7 million people - are now in crisis, of whom an estimated 2.8 million people are in the south," the statement read.

"Consecutive droughts have affected the country in the last few years, while the ongoing conflict has made it extremely difficult for agencies to operate and access communities in the south of the country."

The declaration comes as Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd announced another $30 million in aid to Africa to help counter famine, on top of $11 million in aid announced last week.

Mr Rudd will be travelling to affected regions in Somalia and Kenya later this week.

Australian aid will help provide food rations, shelter, clothing and clean water.

"We are on the cusp of an extraordinary humanitarian crisis in the world. This is the worst drought on the Horn of Africa for 60 years," Mr Rudd said.

Officials warned that unless urgent action was taken the areas afflicted by famine would grow.

"If we don't act now, famine will spread to all eight regions of southern Somalia within two months, due to poor harvests and infectious disease outbreaks," said Mark Bowden, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Somalia.

Countries affected across the region include parts of Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia and Djibouti, while the United States on Tuesday urged secretive Eritrea to reveal how severely it has been hit by the drought.

Famine implies having less than 2,100 kilocalories of food per day, acute malnutrition in more than 30 per cent of the children and two deaths per 10,000 people every day, according to the Integrated Phase Classification, a food security measure used by the UN and other relief agencies.

The Shebab expelled foreign aid groups two years ago, accusing them of being Western spies and Christian crusaders.

However, the UN last week airlifted in the first supplies since the group said it would lift restrictions on aid.

At least 500,000 children are at risk of death in the Horn of Africa, where high food prices and the driest years in decades have pushed many poor families into desperate need, UNICEF has said.

One in 10 children in parts of Somalia is at risk of starving to death, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said last week.

UNHCR has stepped up its work in southern Somalia, distributing aid to 90,000 people in recent days to areas including Mogadishu with another 126,000 due to receive supplies on Tuesday, spokesman Adrian Edwards told a media briefing.

W

WRXXXR

That's virtually half Australia's population. Never have I felt sooooo powerless. What can I do? Adopt someone via one of those community projects? Donate to Oxfam/UNHCR/CAA/The Red Cross.

Google Kiva (just an example) and get involved in micro-financing. I have no interest in donating or adoption but i'm all for micro-financing.

IE A bloke has an idea (eg starting a potato farm) but cant finance it so i lend him $500 to buy seed spuds, fertilisers etc and over a set time he pays me back (no interest). By the end of the contract he'll be producing a product, growing his crop to farm corn, employing people from the village etc.

It's the golden rule of teaching a man how to fish instead of just giving him a fish.

Read a book called "Half the Sky" if you want a more in depth look at poverty, starvation, slavery, illegal prostitution. Really worrying stuff indeed.

B

BigBlackCock

The book possibly is a good read but a drought and famine are what they are. Cruel aspects of weather. I have little doubt it could happen here if not for Australia's mineral wealth.

Happy2

Legend Member
Probably something that has always been on the horizon BBC
That may well be why there was not a large indigenous population on this great dry continent They lived within the country's means

W

WRXXXR

The book possibly is a good read but a drought and famine are what they are. Cruel aspects of weather. I have little doubt it could happen here if not for Australia's mineral wealth.

The drought isn't really the big issue in this picture. It's the poverty that's the killer.

People survived in the Atacama desert for thousands of years and that's lucky to see 1cm of rain a year!

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy2

Legend Member
W3XR I think it would be fair to say that once again the people of the Atacama respect what their land can provide The area would never have been over populated.
Allowing survival within the lands means

A

Alecia the Foxx

I appreciate what you are saying, happy2, but the indigenous people's don't always live withing the lands means. I am the first to stand up for the Maori in NZ, always, but I can also admit that they were the ones who made the Moa in NZ extinct. Yes, it was them, they over-hunted the Moa, and made it extinct before the Europeans got here.

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
Although this is all very sad and tugs at the heart strings I suspect it may be really the end result of years of armed conflict.
Millions of $$$ spent on arms and munitions that could have been spent improving the living conditions of the population or improving agriculture practices.

Happy2

Legend Member
I am with you actually Alecia I know in OZ all the large megafauna was wiped out 1000;s of years ago But eventually the aborigines did alter and adapt or they would have starved maybe its human evolution at work

fifoboy

Gold Member
Somalia has not had a functional government in more than two decades, the country was invaded by Ethiopia, can you imagine how fucked up you have to be to be invaded by Ethiopia?
Any money given to NGOs will be an empty gesture at best. 99% of aid will end up in war lord coffers and only military intervention will work, much like last time in the early 90's. Only this time it needs strong government to back it up, to let the military complete its job. If that had been allowed to happen we wouldn't have the pirate issue in the Indian Ocean and Somalia might have been able to weather this drought better.

W

WRXXXR

A country in need of military assistance that has sizeable oil reserves...

Once Afghanistan starts to wind down, perhaps another civil war won't be to far away :p

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
WRXXXR

And I thought I was a confirmed cynic.

Off Topic
Pick up my new Forester S Tuesday

B

BigBlackCock

Sorry Fifo, we'll have to disagree with that one. I know people who work for things like the Red Cross - they take great pains to ensure their money goes to where it can help most and not to sources of corruption and bribery. Same with things like Australian foreign aid these days - a lot of money is given in kind e.g. building materials instead of money to stop the corruption. And that's why the Australian army often helps build things instead of fight wars all the time - in East Timor, even in Afghanistan.

A

Alecia the Foxx

Although this is all very sad and tugs at the heart strings I suspect it may be really the end result of years of armed conflict.
Millions of $$$ spent on arms and munitions that could have been spent improving the living conditions of the population or improving agriculture practices.

Yes, that is right.

But the populace can't be held responsible for what their irresponsible, self-serving governments decide to do. Innocent babies should not have to be born and starve to death. I once saw a photo taken by a photo journalist of a 2 year old starving child (he had skinny arms and legs and a fat bloated belly) squatting in what looked like a dry arid desert environment, and about 10 feet away there stood a hawk, waiting .... That is fucken disgusting, one of the worst examples I have ever seen of man's inhumanity to man, and yes, I blame their governments. I take my hat off to the Red Cross people, they get in their and get on with helping the people.