How lazy are Australians at work?

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
An article 5 years ago in the Sydney Morning Herald. Admittedly, 5 years isn't that long ago but do you think anything's changed?

Lazy Aussies just don't want to work
Are foreigners hungrier and more eager to work than 'entitled' Australian-born staff?

"I'm just not gonna hire Aussies anymore," says the proprietor of a successful cafe/restaurant worn down by the unreliability of his Australian-born staff.

His establishment, once manned by sun-kissed locals, is now powered exclusively by Asian, Middle Eastern and Afghan immigrants as well as visiting backpackers, all of whom are booking valuable experience and guidance from their talented and accomplished restaurateur employer.
"Why?" I ask.

"Aussies don't want to work. Or they won't work weekends or public holidays. Or they can only work these days and not those days. Or they ring up and say they're sick and they were drinking with me the night before. Or they have to take a week off to go to Splendour," he says.
"Mayfield hasn't had a sick day in two-and-a-half years," he says pointing at his Filipino assistant chef who began work as a dishwasher.
"He couldn't peel a prawn when he started here. Now he'll get a job in any restaurant in the country," he says, "he can cook fish as well as I can."
Official figures revealed yesterday show Link is broken so has been taken down. Employers have recruited 37,620 foreign managers, professionals and tradespeople on 457 work visas during the first nine months of this financial year, despite almost 200,000 unemployed Aussies being qualified to do the same job.[/URL]

While unions have again demanded tighter controls on migrant labour, employer groups said newcomers were merely filling positions locals "would or could not do".

The opposition employment spokesman, Brendan O’Connor, told The Australian it was imperative the Abbott government maintain regulations requiring employers advertise jobs locally.

“At a time when the labour market is softening, the government must ensure Australians workers are first in line for job vacancies,’’ he said.

However, while this approach is laudable and necessary, many bosses I've spoken to say their preference for foreign-born workers comes down to one factor: Australians are lazy.

"If I was starting a software company," says an experienced software engineer, "I would employee only Indian-born coders."

"I've simply found the harder someone's upbringing has been, the harder they'll work."

"Why?" I ask.

"They just get it. They work hard, they're polite, they get the work done, they don't bitch and moan. They want to work, to learn, they're not looking for excuses to do less work, which I find so many Australian-born workers do," she says.

"But surely Aussie IT workers are just as good?"

"Some are," she says, "but good doesn't mean much if they spend half their day on the Iconic, looking for shoes, or they argue the toss on every instruction you give them."

"No one is happy with the job they have now, they're always looking ahead to the next job. Indian-born IT workers understand that the way to get the next job is to do the best work possible at this job," she says.

At a push, she says she would employ coders with immigrant parents saying their children are "still hungry". She admits she's guilty of "positive racism" but "I've experienced this problem so many times, I just don't know how to couch it in politically correct terms anymore," she says.

"I've got absolutely no data to back up my thesis up but I've simply found the harder someone's upbringing has been, the harder they'll work and most Australian-born workers grew up easy and it engenders a sense of entitlement," she says.

The perception of the lazy Aussie is also widespread amongst foreign-born tradesmen. I've worked on building sites many times over the years and often encountered the term "Lozies" - slang for "lazy aussies".

A friend of Italian descent who's an experienced floor and wall tiler agrees enthusiastically: "Especially the older ones, they just don't want to put in the hours. Lazy Aussie Lozies," he says.

"Why do you reckon the Lebanese run all the demo(lition) and concreting? The Chinese are taking over the tiling and electrical work, though they're not as good as the Koreans. Those blokes know what hard work is," he says.

A casual examination of the people who are our parking inspectors, cab drivers, kitchen and cleaning staff tells much the same story. These are roles increasingly populated by foreign-born workers, more than willing to do the "shit jobs".

A vacation rentals broker tells me of her frustration attempting to find reliable removalists to pick up and drop off furniture to her new holiday lettings.

"Then I found Kenny and Joseph," she says, a Korean double act with an Econovan.

"They can do three trips in their van before my old blokes could do one in their truck. They just don't stop. They're machines," she says.

She now uses them exclusively and has had to stop recommending them to other people out of fear they'll be poached. Kenny and Joseph just bought another van for their nephews to join them in the business.

An empire is born.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Monique

Adelaide's original Plus Size Delight
Legend Member
When you have people coming from less developed countries they are willing to do jobs that Caucasian Australians wont. We have a good life here and many migrate to live a much better life and are willing to work extremely hard, often more than one job and families living together supporting one another. We can learn a lot from these people. They have the village effect and that works in their favour

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
I'm not even sure if they're "less developed" countries anymore or they're necessarily doing jobs that Caucasian Australians won't. There are many jobs in factories, and I've seen them, where white long term Australians are working side by side with newcomers to Australia. Singaporean migrants who are now Australian citizens are getting jobs because of their harder working attitudes. Same goes for Japanese migrants to these shores. Ditto New Zealanders. These countries aren't less developed.

Also, there are those who may come from less developed countries but they themselves are not less developed i.e. they've the same skills and are getting paid the same that a long term Australian would. From the article, it appears that the problem is one of attitude and approach. Admittedly, people from "less developed" countries do have a get up and go attitude 'cos they're grateful for the opportunity compared to the life they left behind.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
An amazing workforce that comes to mind are the Philippino workers. I once managed a crew in a manufacturing setting that used 457 workers. This was the most amazing crew I ever had. Qualified and experienced in their own country and so hardworking as well as humble. They never miss a day and are fighting for work on weekends and public holidays.

I remember one asking me... boss, is there a day between Sunday and Monday? I can work...

Almost a decade on and they all own their homes a Australian citizens. Good on them, they added value to the country.

Since then I have heard so many stories about how these people are willing to go to places locals don’t want to go and do jobs no locals are willing to do and do it well. Businesses and even small rural communities have been saved by these good people.

I suspect when Pauline Hanson are done with the Muslims on this round of whatever the shit it is she does, the Philippino people will be the next on her hit list when there are more of them living better lives than the quote LOZIES... unquote that they earned with their sweat and blood.

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
It's even reflected in customer service. Go to Bunnings or Coles, just bad service. Go to an Asian supermarket, they jump off their seat to help. In the 80s it was common to see stickers everywhere by Jack Van Tongeren (look him up if you're too young) saying "Asians take Aussie jobs".

Even then I used to wonder how does someone take your job away? Surely you must be so bad, you've given it to them? Does a conservative Aussie boss back in the 80s look at an Asian and an Aussie and says he'll give the job to the Asian? There's got to be more to it than that e.g. attitude, initiative, approach to work. Just my two Euros worth. I hope things improve or else like Lee Kuan Yew (then Prime Minister of Singapore) said if Australia's not careful, it's in danger of becoming the poor white trash of Asia. I hope he's wrong but the signs aren't too good so far.

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
An amazing workforce that comes to mind are the Philippino workers. I once managed a crew in a manufacturing setting that used 457 workers. This was the most amazing crew I ever had. Qualified and experienced in their own country and so hardworking as well as humble. They never miss a day and are fighting for work on weekends and public holidays.

I remember one asking me... boss, is there a day between Sunday and Monday? I can work...

Almost a decade on and they all own their homes a Australian citizens. Good on them, they added value to the country.

Since then I have heard so many stories about how these people are willing to go to places locals don’t want to go and do jobs no locals are willing to do and do it well. Businesses and even small rural communities have been saved by these good people.

I suspect when Pauline Hanson are done with the Muslims on this round of whatever the shit it is she does, the Philippino people will be the next on her hit list when there are more of them living better lives than the quote LOZIES... unquote that they earned with their sweat and blood.

It's even reflected in customer service. Go to Bunnings or Coles, just bad service. Go to an Asian supermarket, they jump off their seat to help. In the 80s it was common to see stickers everywhere by Jack Van Tongeren (look him up if you're too young) saying "Asians take Aussie jobs".
Even then I used to wonder how does someone take your job away? Surely you must be so bad, you've given it to them? Does a conservative Aussie boss back in the 80s look at an Asian and an Aussie and says he'll give the job to the Asian? There's got to be more to it than that e.g. attitude, initiative, approach to work. Just my two Euros worth. I hope things improve or else like Lee Kuan Yew (then Prime Minister of Singapore) said if Australia's not careful, it's in danger of becoming the poor white trash of Asia. I hope he's wrong but the signs aren't too good so far.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member

Imagine if all humans looked the same race wise... I would not have had to work three times as hard to get promotions, may not have been hunted at every recess and beaten as a young lad. And may have had even more ladies ;)

But in all fairness I have met some amazing hard working Ozzies too. But not as often if I am honest.

I no longer have to deal with racism (almost none). But is that just me or is that typical.

2F3692B8-B418-4400-AC88-99F70FD6A46E.jpeg

I would love some input from others if anyone has something to offer :)

Last edited:
T

Tania Admin

An article 5 years ago in the Sydney Morning Herald. Admittedly, 5 years isn't that long ago but do you think anything's changed?

Are foreigners hungrier and more eager to work than 'entitled' Australian-born staff?

"I'm just not gonna hire Aussies anymore," says the proprietor of a successful cafe/restaurant worn down by the unreliability of his Australian-born staff.

His establishment, once manned by sun-kissed locals, is now powered exclusively by Asian, Middle Eastern and Afghan immigrants as well as visiting backpackers, all of whom are booking valuable experience and guidance from their talented and accomplished restaurateur employer.
"Why?" I ask.

"Aussies don't want to work. Or they won't work weekends or public holidays. Or they can only work these days and not those days. Or they ring up and say they're sick and they were drinking with me the night before. Or they have to take a week off to go to Splendour," he says.
"Mayfield hasn't had a sick day in two-and-a-half years," he says pointing at his Filipino assistant chef who began work as a dishwasher.
"He couldn't peel a prawn when he started here. Now he'll get a job in any restaurant in the country," he says, "he can cook fish as well as I can."
Official figures revealed yesterday show employers have recruited 37,620 foreign managers, professionals and tradespeople on 457 work visas during the first nine months of this financial year, despite almost 200,000 unemployed Aussies being qualified to do the same job.

While unions have again demanded tighter controls on migrant labour, employer groups said newcomers were merely filling positions locals "would or could not do".

The opposition employment spokesman, Brendan O’Connor, told The Australian it was imperative the Abbott government maintain regulations requiring employers advertise jobs locally.

“At a time when the labour market is softening, the government must ensure Australians workers are first in line for job vacancies,’’ he said.

However, while this approach is laudable and necessary, many bosses I've spoken to say their preference for foreign-born workers comes down to one factor: Australians are lazy.

"If I was starting a software company," says an experienced software engineer, "I would employee only Indian-born coders."

"I've simply found the harder someone's upbringing has been, the harder they'll work."

"Why?" I ask.

"They just get it. They work hard, they're polite, they get the work done, they don't bitch and moan. They want to work, to learn, they're not looking for excuses to do less work, which I find so many Australian-born workers do," she says.

"Some are," she says, "but good doesn't mean much if they spend half their day on the Iconic, looking for shoes, or they argue the toss on every instruction you give them."

"No one is happy with the job they have now, they're always looking ahead to the next job. Indian-born IT workers understand that the way to get the next job is to do the best work possible at this job," she says.

At a push, she says she would employ coders with immigrant parents saying their children are "still hungry". She admits she's guilty of "positive racism" but "I've experienced this problem so many times, I just don't know how to couch it in politically correct terms anymore," she says.

"I've got absolutely no data to back up my thesis up but I've simply found the harder someone's upbringing has been, the harder they'll work and most Australian-born workers grew up easy and it engenders a sense of entitlement," she says.

The perception of the lazy Aussie is also widespread amongst foreign-born tradesmen. I've worked on building sites many times over the years and often encountered the term "Lozies" - slang for "lazy aussies".

A friend of Italian descent who's an experienced floor and wall tiler agrees enthusiastically: "Especially the older ones, they just don't want to put in the hours. Lazy Aussie Lozies," he says.

"Why do you reckon the Lebanese run all the demo(lition) and concreting? The Chinese are taking over the tiling and electrical work, though they're not as good as the Koreans. Those blokes know what hard work is," he says.

A casual examination of the people who are our parking inspectors, cab drivers, kitchen and cleaning staff tells much the same story. These are roles increasingly populated by foreign-born workers, more than willing to do the "shit jobs".

A vacation rentals broker tells me of her frustration attempting to find reliable removalists to pick up and drop off furniture to her new holiday lettings.

"Then I found Kenny and Joseph," she says, a Korean double act with an Econovan.

"They can do three trips in their van before my old blokes could do one in their truck. They just don't stop. They're machines," she says.

She now uses them exclusively and has had to stop recommending them to other people out of fear they'll be poached. Kenny and Joseph just bought another van for their nephews to join them in the business.

An empire is born.
Wow! I call bull on this article. 99% of Aussies I know are hard workers. Lots of us work public holidays and weekends with no penalty rates.
Not a fan of this and find it quite rude to be honest :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Historian

What a coqup!
Diamond Member
I certainly agree that there are many hardworking Australians. Just visit any small or medium sized business and you'll see it. I think the larger the business gets, the less stress there is on performance. I can't think of any Government departments that are pleasant to deal with.

It also boils down to proper training. If people aren't shown how to work hard, things aren't going to improve. Sad though that people have to be trained like that but it's a gap that needs to be filled.

Happy2

Legend Member
Well I have an African offsider on my place and can not fault his work ethic at all But I have had many a Indian and Asian staff member and have been very disappointed They are more than willing but at a speed and quality I found totally unacceptable
I have always hired locals as a rule (Which out here is generally Aussies) and they seem to work at the level expected Who knows maybe different styles of work are better suited to some than others

stovo82

Diamond Member
Cheap import workers flooding the labour market. Sack all local workers with cheap foreign workers helps boost profits. Flexible working laws and can fire easily. Craçk down on unions. Business is business. Business saves and makes more profit.

Farm workers imported and paid extremely low wages and threatened with deportation.

Sub1993

Silver Member
Its because effort and consistancy isnt the most important thing to the people who have been given the opportunity to work in management.

The number 1 thing that will get u the farest in terms of a career is how well the person who has the final say thinks of you and your character, social skills and the ability to share commons interests and passions reign supreme

stovo82

Diamond Member
Job market is rigged heavily in favour of women. Women have higher levels of education and gain better paying jobs. Women make up 99% of sex industry.

lonelyman

Gold Member
Almost every 3rd place I walk by in the hospitality industry is looking for someone. They're all offering award rates though. What happened to the laws of supply and demand - if you want more staff, then pay more. Yes, businesses need to survive but if you can't find workers, how are you going to?

Jelliicopter

Gold Member
Australians aren't lazy we just know what we are worth to the employer and demand to be treated as such. Ain't no way I'm working my ass off to help make some guy rich while I stay poor. Fuck that noise

Ivarbone33!!

Gold Member
I am a shift worker and make a lot of money from overtime from the good old Aussie sicky. As a Pom Aussies keep saying use up all your sickies you wont get any thanks etc. The problem now is they are hiring people African and Philippinos on casual rates for less money to do their job, which is a shame as in the old days it paid my house off. I think its a case of don't shit in your own nest as in the long run it will bite you in the bum.

mrys

Legend Member
Lindsay Fox once said 'The harder I work the luckier I get' I think that's still relevant in today's world of work. Work hard, become very good at an aspect of your work that you have a talent for and you will reap the rewards. If however your contributions are not valued and rewarded where you are......vote with your feet and find somewhere that does value and reward your talents and efforts.

razgrizhan

Gold Member

"Why?" I ask.

Official figures revealed yesterday show [URL='http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/call-for-aussie-hires-first-as-apprentice-numbers-plummet/story-e6frg6n6-1226936455792#']employers have recruited 37,620 foreign managers, professionals and tradespeople
on 457 work visas during the first nine months of this financial year, despite almost 200,000 unemployed Aussies being qualified to do the same job.[/URL]

"Why?" I ask.

An empire is born.

I worked as manager in hospitality business. Thats true before covid we have plenty option overseas student and working holidays. They are more diligent, and reliable than the most of local one. I think one of the main reason for local young aussies they have centrelink support in case they out of the job while students/working holidays people their life depends on it because they dont have centrelinks.

And we paid the same awards rates.

Channelle

Legend Member
Would not say I am lazy in my office job - but I make a point during the morning of never looking out the window.
Else it gives me nothing to do in the afternoon.

ozwarlock67

Legend Member
Laziest workers, regardless of where they come from, are roadworkers.
It's a wonder jobs get finished as every time you crawl past at 25 km/h very little,vif anything is being done.

lonelyman

Gold Member
Let's be fair. Road work is often dependent on other processes. I'm not a road worker but have seen it taking place. If the tar is hot, you can't do any work on it, you have to stand and wait. If the old bitumen is being pulled up, you have to stand by and wait while trucks come and collect it all. There's a machine called a profiler which also digs up old bitumen and that's an arduous process.

Once a new road starts construction and the new materials come in it gets very busy. I once saw a man in Balcatta digging a deep hole he was in and his colleague watching him. I asked a nearby foreman why this was the case - why didn't he just go to a corner and have a cigarette? He patiently explained that this is a common complaint/observation.

If the soil caves in around the guy with the shovel, no one's going to know if he's buried under and eventually dies. Hence someone standing close by and watching. Made sense.

lonelyman

Gold Member
Walk along most shopping centres and you'll see ads for people who want a job. It's a great time to be a serious job seeker starting out.

doob

Legend Member
When I read the above posts and then I read what ex-PM Liz Truss' analysis about workers in the UK, I fear hugely for the future of both countries.

From the Guardian;

"Truss’s comments from her time at the Treasury, revealed in a leaked recording to the Guardian, are in danger of undermining her already fragile commitment to levelling up.

They also open her up to charges of talking down the UK – a serious offence as far as some of her Tory colleagues are concerned – despite her best endeavours with union flags, “Global Britain” and belligerent attacks on Brussels and the Scottish government.

But her views are not particularly new. They echo a controversial passage in a book, Britannia Unchained, she co-authored with four other Tory MPs including Dominic Raab and Kwasi Kwarteng, her likely chancellor if she makes it to No 10.

“Once they enter the workplace, the British are among the worst idlers in the world,” they wrote. “We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/li...n-b1019006.html

She said: “I once wrote a book about this which got mischaracterised – British workers produce less per hour than … and that’s a combination of kind of skill and application. If you look at productivity, it’s very, very different in London from the rest of the country.

“But basically … this has been a historical fact for decades. Essentially it’s partly a mindset and attitude thing, I think. It’s working culture, basically. If you go to China it’s quite different, I can assure you.