GM canola

F

Farm Boy

Julie Newman and friends are now advertising a DVD on this sight .Julie from The net work of concerned farmers campaigned long and hard against GM canola . But after years of consideration farmers rejected her argument, what do you think

Last edited by a moderator:

fifoboy

Gold Member
As I understand it the canola is altered to make it glyphosate resistant, so a crop can be sprayed out with a cheap effective chemical to kill weeds. The proteins introduced to the canola to make it roundup ready have been found to be non toxic and non allergenic.
Then in the refining process to make the oil a product able to be consumed by humans removes all GM and non GM genetic (DNA) material and all proteins. So essentially we're getting the same product as we were getting prior to GM canola being introduced.

C

Casper60

I think the main reason people argue about GM foods, is the chance of GM being used for other things on animals or humans. Along the lines of... if you give them an inch they'll take a mile... I think GM crops are a good thing... we need cheaper higher yielding crops

F

Farm Boy

What I thought Sex is a big concern GMOs not so important

F

Farm Boy

Those Greens.

SHADOW Agriculture Minister, John Cobb, says Greenpeace activists, who destroyed scientific trials of Genetically Modified wheat during an early morning raid on CSIRO facilities in Canberra this morning, should be prosecuted “to the full extent of the law”.

Mr Cobb has also slammed comments attributed to Canberra Greens MLA, Shane Rattenbury, understood to be a former Greenpeace staff member, who said this morning on ABC radio that he condoned the actions of the Greenpeace activists and that sometimes the end justified the means.

retrowolf

Horny Bugger
Gold Member
Bloody hell, Greenpeace don't barge into labs when viriuses are being geneticly engineered to create better vaccines, but when something comes along that could make farmers lives easier and feed millions of starving people in africa, the are all pitchforks and torches.

Good book called "Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Harms the Planer and Threatens our Lives" by Michael Specter goes a long way to explaining these people.

Holford

Gold Member
Got to understand people that although GM is not a proven product on what long term effects it has on society, the issue is that it is patented and you need a license to grow and sell.

Problem is because it is a crop all over the country will be infested with crop and the owners (not farm growers) can demand payment with no excuses.

It is like Micosoft giving away it's software until you are so in vested in it, then (now) charge through the teeth because you ca not easily change. This is the major problem with GM, company in the US will own all our crops, demand and control our farmers because of it. Once in you can not get rid of it. The DNA patent might even extend to the consumers like cattle and even a tax on the people consumption.

It is so wrong and Australia could have kept clean from it but now it is too late, the kick backs to politicians and short term rewards to farmers have cost the country once again billions going offshore with no way of changing it because of the licensing laws.

Fools

Holford

Gold Member
Oh and just a comment on feeding Africa etc, that is GM lie and falsehood, there is plenty of food, the problem is greed and politics that stop food from getting to where it is needed.

Greenpeace provide a safety net on the greedy corporates that seek nothing but financial gain at any cost. Without them you would have no natural wonders left.

How about targeting real criminals like the GFC executives that robbed the nations of the world with not 1 prosecution for all the damage, where is the law for real threats against feeding the world....

F

Farm Boy

Oh and just a comment on feeding Africa etc, that is GM lie and falsehood, there is plenty of food, the problem is greed and politics that stop food from getting to where it is needed.

Greenpeace provide a safety net on the greedy corporates that seek nothing but financial gain at any cost. Without them you would have no natural wonders left.

How about targeting real criminals like the GFC executives that robbed the nations of the world with not 1 prosecution for all the damage, where is the law for real threats against feeding the world....

You are right about one thing Holford at the moment there is plenty of food in the world capacity to produce exceeds what is Realty needed by a big margin , But I can not grow food for nothing no farmer can , people dont come to my farm gate someone has to transport it , I cant stop people buying more than they can use wasting food or getting realty fat .

Happy2

Legend Member
Problem with GM crops for me is it cant be contained by a boundry fence.
Many fight hard to be classified as say a purely organic producer. If
your neighbour has GM canola Next year you will have GM canola and lose organic producer status.

I think we vary in this a little Farmboy

Tannerone

Gold Member
No mention anywhere of how much Carbon Dioxide was produced by burning the crop, or how much carbon sequestration was also destroyed. Call themselves GREENpeace??? Their action was neither Green nor Peaceful.

F

Farm Boy

Barnaby recons they used whipper snippers . Two stroke or Honda?
and there was probable not a lot of GM Wheat just trials maybe even potted in a green house.

LD Nationals Senator Barnaby Joyce wants to what kind of fuel generated the whipper snippers used by the Greenpeace activists who destroyed government approved scientific trials of Genetically Modified wheat at CSIRO facilities in Canberra during a dawn raid this morning and if they car-pooled their way to the publicity stunt.

“I hope the whipper snippers they used were carbon neutral and if they were not, they will have to visit the carbon confessional in Bob Brown's comcar,” Mr Joyce said.

F

Farm Boy

Africa biggest problem is lack of good administration ( whatever the cause )

AS THE famine in the Horn of Africa worsens, G8 leaders have been accused of welshing on a pledge to improve food security in Africa.

Anti-poverty group ONE said only a fifth of a 2009 pledge of a $A20 billion grant to improve agricultural techniques in Africa had actually been received.

According to media reports, impacts of the drought conditions in the Horn of Africa are escalating as livestock die as a result of grain shortages.

Ethiopia is not only dealing with its own drought, but an influx of tens of thousands of refugees that have entered the country from Somali