Debating board rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

corneus

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on whether the moderators should have the power to modify or delete posts abritrarily.
I am all for moderation inasmuch as ensuring the rules are adhered to. ie. no personal attacks, keep to the subject (to some extent) but I do not agree that a moderator should be able to edit or delete posts without at the very least explaining why.
Unexplained deletions can be construed as heavy-handed censorship, and does nothing to encourage debate. I for one would not be interested in participating any further if any more unexplained deletions occur.

C

corneus

I am not suggesting that you have tried to one-up someone in debate. That is not the point I am making.

I am simply questioning why the following edits and deletions, without satisfactory explanations, were made? And I am asking for thoughts on whether people consider this to be a bit heavy handed and unnecessary.

Mandy CD - Last edited by Mac'nOphi : 31-01-2009 at 08:51 PM.

RoadRunner - Edit: Sorry had to delete some of that end transmission line, it was wigging out the page.

Mac

Last edited by Mac'nOphi : Today at 11:12 AM.

Roadrunner - Last edited by Mac'nOphi : Yesterday at 04:06 PM.

There have also been three deletions today of posts by Road Runner, Temptme, and Cluboz with the reason given as "read the rules!". What rules were broken, Mac? It would surely be helpful for the poster and the reader to actually be told what rules were supposed to have been broken?

(I assume the "unending" line of dots was on Road Runners post which was wigging out the page? Why is a line of dots considered spamming?)

T

TemptMe

Whilst it may have been over a line of uninterrupted dots, as you have now explained as to why some of the editing occurred, this was not clearing communicated previously. When the edit occurs without clear explanation a reader is only left to wonder.

Supporting someones opinion about editing to ones post etc is not a complaint. Agreed it may not have been on the correct thread but it doesn't state in the rules that there are to be no complaints...

Cluboz2

Foundation Member
Ahh now we see why the Private Message, we should have read here first. Although we must add too many rules or not stating why posts are deleted etc will turn people off posting.

The internet is a powerful tool and some of us have been using it from its inception (for us before that BBS days owned and ran one) Some people are new to the net and still learning, some fear it as the big bad monster so the gentle approach works better, education is the key not "Read the Rules"

princesssuzie

Foundation Member
I may suggest a petition Mac"nOphi, but I've never heard of being partitioned, just like no-one has ever heard such bullshit as dots being a form of spamming.

R

RoadRunner

I am only a lowest of the low forum user , I have no powers like yourself to delete anything but my own posts , you must of done it Macnophi as you were madly deleting all the other posts , including that of an administrator , wow your very powerful , go on delete this post for spaming or rude words or any other weak excuse . R.R. not to many dots I hope , dont want your pc to wiggle out

C

corneus

This is a debating forum. The rules are a bit more stringent than the General Discussion and Bitch Board but they are not unfair and I have not applied them unfairly.

I understand that the rules of a debating board must be more stringently applied but we also value free speech, and the rules of fair play must not only apply but must be seen to be applied. Unfortunately this issue has escalated far more than was necessary, but posting a reason for edit as "I have made my decision on this thread" comes across as overbearing and does nothing to explain to the deleted poster or the casual lurker what valid reason existed for the deletion.

To my mind it actually sounds more than a little petulant.

Rhett and Scarlett

Virginity can be cured!!
Foundation Member
For the record, after many years, without any problems we are wondering why we even bother to come here any more

Is this post going to be edited now???

Can we cut out the politics please?

Rhett and Scarlett

T

TemptMe

I would if I could edit because you are off topic.......LOL!!!!!!!!!Oops that's only one line.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TemptMe

One line Please remove - where and when?? Oh still only one line blah blah blah forget it.

DT4eva

Gold Member
Re: debate which does not need to be in full view of members

Ladies and Gentlemen

sorry to have moved the entire thread off the main forum into here.
its not something that needs to be on the board where all members can read it
it looks very unhealthy for the forum.

once again sorry i will take any action that i have done with this thread if i have done wrong

Dave

S

Spunkymunky

I will throw in a yes vote for the sex!! Just an observation but i come on to this forum to unwind. I read other peoples comments, look at pics and have conversations with my good ol' web buddies. I RELAX on here after what is currently an extraordinarily stressful work day and right now i'm sure many other people are the same.

LET THERE BE LOVE PEOPLE!! Plus free sex. When i come back online tomorrow i hope everyone has their happy faces and indoor faces on lol.

T

TemptMe

Nice try teacher Spunky.... Many of us do attempt to use this as an unwinding tool...

S

Spunkymunky

Teacher spunky is very dissapointed lol you all better behave or i will do one of the following:

a) spank you all with a ruler
b) use my "dissapointed" speech
c) Make you sit on your hands on the floor
d) throw dusters at you
e) bend over in front of you whilst forgetting i have a button missing on the top of my shirt

**Disclaimer: Not all of the above are recommended in a classroom and i only use one....or maybe two (hehe) of the techniques!!

L

Link83

Spunky,
a) Yes, but please don't leave bruises
b) Yes, I don't mind the odd humiliation every now and again
c) No, I might be too old to be able to reach that far
d) Dusters? You still have dusters?
e) Yes Yes Yes Yes please please please...

S

Spunkymunky

Lol we have whiteboard erasers which are the same thing and just as effective when you *accidentally* let it go whilst waving your arms around your head to make a point and *accidentally* clock the most annoying student in the head with it! It was legitimately an accident - but it made my day when it happened haha.

Thanks for the response Link :) see THIS is what i like about posting on here! FUN!!!

A

Anson-Crane

I like your mathematics , it seems that 1 and 1 do make for a good time and not 3 !

Status
Not open for further replies.