• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

You`ve been warned...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Was driving to work the other day when I passed a sign warning me that there was a nasty little speed camera ahead.
For the person that wrote it, were they doing a community service or should they have keep the location to themselves.
After all most of us would probably just slow down until we passed the camera and then start speeding again as soon as we passed. '
How is that going to teach us to drive safe??
For those that claim the cameras are nothing but revenue raisers all you have to do is slow down and there will be no need to pay a fine...

Miss Chloe

A Sensual & Kinky Affair
Diamond Member
But just say I don't see the sign, drive past the camera while speeding. I'll keep speeding. I mean, even if I just got a fine, I've already passed the camera. Damage done. At least if I see a sign I'll slow down for a while till I think I'm well out of range.

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
But just say I don't see the sign, drive past the camera while speeding. I'll keep speeding. I mean, even if I just got a fine, I've already passed the camera. Damage done. At least if I see a sign I'll slow down for a while till I think I'm well out of range.

I think the theory is when you receive the notification of your forthcoming generous donation to the state and loss of X points from your licence, you'll modify your behaviour in future. That's the theory.

JustAndy

Gold Member
If you want people to slow down just flash your headlight at on coming traffic. That is the signal for cop or camera ahead

MikeB

Legend Member
I think the theory is when you receive the notification of your forthcoming generous donation to the state and loss of X points from your licence, you'll modify your behaviour in future. That's the theory.
Unfortunately while there is some logic to that theory, you first have to make it through the day to be able to receive the notification and react!

Slowing in response to the sign in some may be a trigger to medium to longer term awareness and modified behaviour so can be as effective as the notification.

In some jurisdictions, they have even tried using cardboard cutouts of police with handheld. No actual notification, but the scare tended to have a positive safety effect. Problem here may be finding a straight model to use for the cardboard facsimile!

Miss Chloe

A Sensual & Kinky Affair
Diamond Member

It's a good theory lol

T

Thatguy

Maybe they should get the gals from LTs to be the models for the cutouts with the speed guns... im sure heaps would slow down then.. ;)

XLNC

Whatever happened to FREE love?
Legend Member
Maybe they should get the gals from LTs to be the models for the cutouts with the speed guns... im sure heaps would slow down then.. ;)

I'm not convinced that would be conducive to a lower accident rate!

How-Does-Rubbernecking-Help.jpg

Linda

The Wild Child
Legend Member
Problem is it will cause too many rubber neckers and more crashes

Linda

The Wild Child
Legend Member
All in all dont speed

we all make mistakes

it is impossible to never speed

R

Reggie

That's illegal and the cops can fine you for that

If you tell the cop that you were flashing your lights to warn others, that is illegal, now testing your headlights to make sure they are working is just being safety conscious . Everything depends on your answer when the cop asks what you were doing flashing your lights.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
It is a tool for raising funds for tools. Now with the long range tool, it's even easier for them to raise funds no amount of warning can stop drivers from paying the doubled tripled fines and points they upped.

Statistically, the number of cameras have increased, the number of lives saved have not. They may as well spend the millions improving policing the roadways, making sure no one runs the red lights, making sure no idiots go the wrong way, making sure people use indicators,etc...

L

Lord Spikey

It is a tool for raising funds for tools. Now with the long range tool, it's even easier for them to raise funds no amount of warning can stop drivers from paying the doubled tripled fines and points they upped.

Statistically, the number of cameras have increased, the number of lives saved have not. They may as well spend the millions improving policing the roadways, making sure no one runs the red lights, making sure no idiots go the wrong way, making sure people use indicators,etc...
Homer? People using indicators? In your dreams.
Especially on roundabouts.

In my opinion, speed cameras are little more than revenue raisers. The point about more cameras and no reduction in road issues seems to suggest that they are doing more harm than good. Perhaps the distraction, followed by the anger and frustration of being pinged is what is causing the extra problems. I know it pisses me off and I lose some concentration for a while, while I am thinking of the consequences of driving back and over the camera... "Whoops! sorry Mr cyclist. I didn't see you through the red haze".

Just my opinion

Dallas

Legend Member
I have a friend who was NSW highway patrol cop for 20 years. He said that one of the reasons he quit was because of the push to meet revenue quotas to the detriment of patrolling high accident zones.

He also said he believed that disciplining anyone to teach them a lesson needed to be done at the time of the offence, not a month later in the mail.

The told me too, that legally we are innocent until proven guilty so that's why the fines all say "alleged speed". He said that they aren't supposed to be able to fine you until you until your crime has been proven in court, but that would tie up too much of the courts time, so they say, we've alleged this, either you can prove that we're wrong in court or pay the fine and in doing so admit to the offence which makes it legal. He said it's often wrong with incorrect equipment calibrations etc, but they know that few people will challenge it, and instead just pay the money even though half the time they don't even remember the offence or where they were.

Happy2

Legend Member
All in all dont speed

we all make mistakes

it is impossible to never speed
You just haven't driven my car. You just can't speed in my piece of garbage
I even got overtaken by a purple Volkswagen beetle before her last service

svengali

Foundation Member
O.K. time for a Svengali rant.

I honestly have only respect for those men and women who make up our Police force. They have an unenviable and sometimes dangerous job which puts them in regular contact with the worst elements of society yet they still manage to remain courteous and helpful.

However, on the matter of road safety they and their leaders are barking hysterically up the wrong tree. They bang on about speed, speed, speed until you think they want a man with a red flag to walk in front of every vehicle and this emphasis is all wrong.

In my opinion speed cameras are less about raising revenue than they are about the bureaucratic need to appear busy while doing sweet bugger all. "OOh look, mister Minister, we pinged 500 naughty speeders this month tut tut, those suicidal lemmings."

In fact, for the most part those drivers who got caught 5k's or less over the limit probably posed no threat to anyone as most of our speed limits are well below where they need to be for safety but the stats look good and there isn't much work involved. In some circles it is known as "picking the low-hanging fruit"

If they want to reduce the road toll they need to look at ways of tackling the really dangerous behaviour on the roads. Hit the boozers, the drugged-up idiots and those yapping and texting fanatics who can't leave their I-toy alone for 5 minutes. Spend more money on red-light cameras and put more unmarked cars on the roads to reel in the cowboys and show-offs who treat the roads as their personal racetracks. If you must use cameras use them where speed is dangerous, like around schools.