Would you want to know??

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Caught up with my brother yesterday form coffee in the city and we got discussing about the rest of the family.

Now I understand because of possible medical problems later in life it`s good to know your family medical history but would you really want to know that your family has a history of heart disease or insanity or most of your family live no longer then 70 years old?

Or would it better if with approval by everybody concerned that your doctor was able to discuss with your other family members doctors your medical history? Leaving you to enjoy your life without thinking about the worst.

A

AlexandraSilk

Agreed Billy Bones. If my doctor has written consent and my family wish to know, then my medical history should be made available to them. Considering doctors have a far greater medical knowledge, surely if the family had any questions the doctor would be the most appropriate person to answer their queries.

P

Perth boy

I am adopted so got no idea of any history. I like it like that and would rather not know.

Demon

Legend Member
I was involved in some research a few years ago because my sister had cancer. They asked if I wanted to know my results and my sister's results (she had consented). They also said that if I am provided with this information I MUST inform my life insurance company otherwise, which could affect my life insurance. (If you don't they have a reason not to pay out).

I chose not to receive the information. The researchers (all medical doctors) said that most people chose this option.

Something to consider.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
I was involved in some research a few years ago because my sister had cancer. They asked if I wanted to know my results and my sister's results (she had consented). They also said that if I am provided with this information I MUST inform my life insurance company otherwise, which could affect my life insurance. (If you don't they have a reason not to pay out).

I chose not to receive the information. The researchers (all medical doctors) said that most people chose this option.

Something to consider.

Interesting Demon, I would have thought the opposite is the case.
I am one of the 'need to know' people. I rather know what might be coming my way in the health department than not know plus there is always a chance of preventation if you know there is a medical problem in the family.
Grrrrrrrrrr sorry for a bad memory but there was the young woman on TV who had a full mastectomy because she lost her grandmother and her mother to breast cancer.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
Knowing is one thing. What most of us choose to do with the information does us no favours.

Most create what COULD BE while it has not happened out of a MAYBE that's backed up by statistics that's collected from their own family. The creative power of the human mind seems to manifest what one focuses on regardless of what it is.

So Billybones of there was space for an opinion from me. Then no, one is probably better not knowing such things.

J

JasRob

I want to be aware..To know how to avoid it..Prevention is always better than cure..Don't wanna regret in the end.