Should the past be left in the past???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Just read some of my internet news and was an article about a rapist in Queensland that is no longer going to receive a hero`s award for help he gave during the flood in January this year.
Now the government says it`s not going to give it to him because of his past...

Now as much as I don`t like rapists or other criminals, I still feel he should get some kind of award for the help he gave...

Anybody agree??

Happy2

Legend Member
BB how long ago was his crime? I mean if it was say 20yrs ago
he may be a truly reformed man. Especially if he has done his time
Anyway we are only meant to be punished once for our crimes aren't we

W

WRXXXR

Let's not beat around the bush here. He ruined someones life in a big way, hes punished her family forever so fuck him.

Deserves nothing.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Says is crime was in 99 but he was only released last year...

And in reply to WRXXXR, what if the award he was getting was for saving a life? Would it still mean F... all?? What if he had the same attitude and so he thought to himself "F... it, whats the harm in ruining another"

W

WRXXXR

I strongly believe that rape is a crime that can't ever be forgiven.

It's great that he saved someones life and all but at the end of the day he should be grateful that he is walking free in the community.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Had I not mentioned the crime would your feelings still have been the same?? Or would you like to know what crimes someone has committed in the past before being given an award??
Do we need to get police clearence before giving out awards to anybody??

As for him bein a rapist, well he should be slowly castrated the same they do to cattle (Do they still use that elastic band these days thats on so tight it eventually drops off??)
and the only time he should be out in the community is so that those who want to can throw stones at him...

W

WRXXXR

I do think the government needs to check first. Had you said he was a petty criminal or money launderer (just an example) no one would really care but at the end of the day, he's a rapist and thats one of a couple of crimes so serious they deserve nothing more than the death penalty.

H

honey_storm

Let's not beat around the bush here. He ruined someones life in a big way, hes punished her family forever so fuck him.

Deserves nothing.

Yeah i'm with you on this one WRAXXXR! In the end of the day the damage he has caused is for life!!

aussielids

Silver Member
I don't agree with you WRXXXR on this one. Don't get me wrong, rape is a very serious crime and I'm sure the victim is affected for life, but maybe the punishment he got changed his ways (as we would hope) which made him to be the person to help and save other people. Time in the clink isn't just for punishment, but also rehab. If his time is finished, his punishment should end as well. I for one would be greatful for him saving me, regardless of his past. A punishment is for a crime, a reward is for a good deed, and a good deed he has done. Just my two bobs worth on the face of it...

L

Langtrees VIP Perth 2

Wow, I just found this one, and what an interesting question...
I have changed my views about 4 times just reading it, I almost agree with everyone's view on it!
I do agree that rape is a horrible crime and should be punished extremely harshly, although I don't think it deserves the death penalty cause I think that you can be rehabilitated, as has been proven. I do think that castration is a great idea, as many men would probably think this was worse than the death penalty anyway and it removes the issue...literally!
I also think that people make mistakes, there's certainly many things that i've done in my life that I would take back in a second, given the opportunity...
I think he should be given the award for the good that he's done, just as he was punished for the bad that he did.

Lisa xxx