• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

RUM glorious RUM... Are there any rum lovers out there.

Master Yoda

“Your path you must decide.”
Legend Member
UnimportantKnobbyArabianhorse-small.gif

While my main obsession is scotch whisky I have ventured off in a few other directions like Sake, Gin, Vodka, Makkoli, Cognac, and red wine. I have developed a love for rum. I am no expert as my journey has been young. I started my journey with dark and spiced rums. like these two dark spiced rums.

kraken-black-siced-rum-black-bottle_large.png cmbs_1.jpg
At first I liked them, but very quickly I found them to be fabricated with added flavours and I lost interest. Captain Morgan's original Spiced rum is nice(ish) but tastes like a bottom shelf rum that it is. Other similar bottom shelf expressions from Appleton's Estate, and Mount Gay get a similar rating.

sailor-jerry-spiced-navy-rum-the-caribbean-10152150.jpg
Oh and I drink nothing mixed. The entry level of Jerry Sailor is surprisingly nice. And so it this one that was given to me on my 40th birthday.

download.jpeg
Mount Gay XO is probably the nicest I have tasted.

Now a close friend and I have become quite the Whisky snobs, more mike he taught me how to be a snob lol. So there are many drinks we look down our noses at. Johnny walker, Jim Beam, Bundaberg, of and Smirnoff... GROSE!!! Smirnoff and the bottom shelf Bundaberg bring back gag inducing memories from University days.

However, there is one that I have become strangely fond of.

rum_bun2.jpg
It is a cask strength and I am fond of cask strengths, as I do not chase volume when it comes to drinks. I chase drinks that an satisfy me with a single dram that can last for an hour of two. This is the one foe me when it comes to rum. It is aged in wood and the flavour shows through. Vanilla and spices permeate with every tiny drop of s sip in its near 60% ABV. And has become my favourite rum so far. Oh and I drink nothing sweet or nothing, mixed except maybe a teaspoon of water with some drinks.

As I said I am young in my journey and I am hoping to start a discussion with anyone else here that has a fondness for rum. Maybe I can learn something :)

MikeB

Legend Member
Toured Cuba recently - fabulous experience.

Presented with a bottle of quality local rum (or vitamin R as they referred to it:D) on arrival. Several of our group were not into rum so out of respect for our hosts, I stepped up and graciously volunteered to accept the gifts on their behalf - tough job but someone had to do it!!!!! :rolleyes:

Routinely, pre dinner each night an obligatory Mojito with a shot of rum to finish every dinner - rum lovers paradise:cool:

Master Yoda

Legend Member
Toured Cuba recently - fabulous experience.

Presented with a bottle of quality local rum (or vitamin R as they referred to it:D) on arrival. Several of our group were not into rum so out of respect for our hosts, I stepped up and graciously volunteered to accept the gifts on their behalf - tough job but someone had to do it!!!!! :rolleyes:

Routinely, pre dinner each night an obligatory Mojito with a shot of rum to finish every dinner - rum lovers paradise:cool:
Vitamin R ... that is gold. And yes you had a duty to not offend the host and I would have done the same ;)

Mopar63

Gold Member
6533FDF4-86ED-49CB-8F76-32BE0CAA4385.jpeg

Just a couple of yohoho’s kicking around my back door,
For anyone who might be interested.

MikeB

Legend Member
A few from the collection

Did you actually think I would share - hands off lol

Master Yoda

Legend Member

Master Yoda

Legend Member
I won this at First Choice Liquor for buying a bottle of rum today :)

8AA75537-6EC5-46DD-9B01-E25F85C165C9.jpeg

MikeB

Legend Member
What’s that like? Looks delicious. I have not tried that one.
Smooth like a cognac with the warm afterglow of a single malt - is a sin to pollute with mixers.

The 7yr old Havanna Club from Cuba is interesting also as is the Wahouua Vanilla Oak which I picked up from a boutique distillery in Austria.

MikeB

Legend Member
What’s that like? Looks delicious. I have not tried that one.
Just notice my bottle from Vat 166 was only 8 yr old while my latest bottle from Vat 244 (which I have yet to open) is aged for 12 yrs so I expect will be closer to the Bundy Royal Liqueur Old Label I savored some 20+ years ago which was aged for 10 yrs but appears is no longer available.

Master Yoda

Legend Member
Smooth like a cognac with the warm afterglow of a single malt - is a sin to pollute with mixers.

The 7yr old Havanna Club from Cuba is interesting also as is the Wahouua Vanilla Oak which I picked up from a boutique distillery in Austria.
Sounds like the gruffness of a Blondie with the smoothness of a Lola ;)

Master Yoda

Legend Member
Just notice my bottle from Vat 166 was only 8 yr old while my latest bottle from Vat 244 (which I have yet to open) is aged for 12 yrs so I expect will be closer to the Bundy Royal Liqueur Old Label I savored some 20+ years ago which was aged for 10 yrs but appears is no longer available.
Sounds as rare as a Vivian and Sasa of the golden era ;)

MikeB

Legend Member
Sounds like the gruffness of a Blondie with the smoothness of a Lola ;)
Oh the memory of those other equally tasty dining and pre- and post-dining pleasures.....:rolleyes:

Interestingly I saw recently that Blondie is achieving rave reviews in her new life endeavors and that cheeky smile is as radiant as ever:cool:. She has definitely moved on from that golden era to a new happy place....

Master Yoda

Legend Member
Oh the memory of those other equally tasty dining and pre- and post-dining pleasures.....:rolleyes:

Interestingly I saw recently that Blondie is achieving rave reviews in her new life endeavors and that cheeky smile is as radiant as ever:cool:. She has definitely moved on from that golden era to a new happy place....
I sincerely hope she has found success and happiness in what ever she is is doing :)

Mopar63

Gold Member
Have not tried that expression of the Bundy looks like one of the better ones.

And Tanduay is so underrated. It is inexpensive and totally decent.
The bundy is from there LE range, aged in American oak whiskey barrels, I’m expecting this to be about as smooth as a bundy can be by the time I open it. (Sentimental, saving for an appropriate occasion).

And the Tanduay, I agree is underrated, even the entry level is easy drinking, though a little sweet if having a decent session on it.

Master Yoda

Legend Member
The bundy is from there LE range, aged in American oak whiskey barrels, I’m expecting this to be about as smooth as a bundy can be by the time I open it. (Sentimental, saving for an appropriate occasion).

And the Tanduay, I agree is underrated, even the entry level is easy drinking, though a little sweet if having a decent session on it.
Yeah and Tanduay can't be purchased here unfortunately. When my friend brings it back from the Philippines it's under $5 a bottle. I saw a restaurant selling it for $8 a dram once. I had to have one lol.

Last edited: