• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Please Help: Mastitis

T

Tania Admin

I've had some severe breast pain and have been feeling unwell the last few days.:dead: So off to the doctors I go.
I had a mammogram in February so was confident I wasn't dealing with the terrible C.

The doctor informed me I have Mastitis.

I always thought that was a breast feeding mums issue or when your milk dries up. Obviously I am wrong.:confused:

I'm heading down to the city tomorrow so will get my prescrpition filled.

Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain until then? (It really hurts) :(

And what causes Mastitis?

Are there preventative measures I can take so I can avoid it happening again?

Your input will be greatly appreciated, more than you can imagine :hurting:

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
hi Tania . i'm sorry for what you are going trough .

i have found a website that you might like to have a read of on Mastitis

Link not working so taken down

i wish you well asap , no one needs to be in pain @ all for any reason

Last edited by a moderator:

bepp

Another World Member
Legend Member
Normally a guy's a pain in the arse but in the tit..stop him from suking to much ;)

Dez

...the floor is lava
Legend Member
Puzzle me! I thought that was a breastfeeding mums thing too! The doc didn't say what can cause it is non breastfeeding mums?

T

Tania Admin

hi Tania . i'm sorry for what you are going trough .

i have found a website that you might like to have a read of on Mastitis

Link not working so taken down

i wish you well asap , no one needs to be in pain @ all for any reason

Thank you. I will have a look at the information on there.
And I wouldn't want anyone in pain either. It sucks :(

Puzzle me! I thought that was a breastfeeding mums thing too! The doc didn't say what can cause it is non breastfeeding mums?
Unfortunately not. I ask so many questions and had a couple of other health issues to address so we ran out of time. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Madam Jacqui

Madam @ Langtrees
Legend Member
Sorry to hear about that Tania, hope you get over it quick. The quicker you get better the faster you can start packing for your move.....:)

T

Tamara

I've had some severe breast pain and have been feeling unwell the last few days.:dead: So off to the doctors I go.
I had a mammogram in February so was confident I wasn't dealing with the terrible C.

I always thought that was a breast feeding mums issue or when your milk dries up. Obviously I am wrong.:confused:

Hey Tania
Sorry your feeling unwell, I used cabbage Leaves it's not just a old wives tale it works (smells a bit when they reach Body temp) but really worked when I had it with all my girls..:eek:...

Ozrock

Silver Member
Hi, Mastitis usually occurs in breastfeeding, but can occur occasionally when not breastfeeding. Gentle massage towards the nipple, cold compresses to reduce swelling and analgesia (e.g. ibuprofen) can be used as part of the treatment. It is usually caused by Staphylococcus aureus a bacteria found on the skin. Flucloxacillin or cephalexin (providing you are not allergic to penicillin and cephalosporins) for at least 5 days. The antibiotics will help reduce the likelihood of an abscess developing. I hope you get better soon.

Dallas

Legend Member

Hey Tania, I'm sorry to hear this, and that you are in pain.

I'm very glad it's not the C, I went through that with my ex and the story I could tell there I could write a book on.
Well I can't offer any advice on pain relief, but I have read a number of articles from doctors as well as just googling this, and there seems to be a link with antioxidants and mastitis.

Firstly I read at the Mayo Clinic:
Breast-feeding in some cases can lead to milk being trapped in the breast, a main cause of mastitis. Other causes include:
  • A blocked milk duct. If a breast doesn't completely empty at feedings, one of your milk ducts can become clogged, causing milk to back up, which leads to breast infection.
  • Bacteria entering your breast. Bacteria from your skin's surface and baby's mouth can enter the milk ducts through a break or crack in the skin of your nipple or through a milk duct opening. Stagnant milk in a breast that isn't emptied enough provides a breeding ground for the bacteria. The antibacterial properties of your milk help protect your baby from the infection.
I also read in a number of articles elsewhere:
Apparently the antioxidants are higher during breast feeding and have a negative role here by producing micro nutrients causing an anti inflammatory response resulting in mastitis. I read that this can be exacerbated by taking antioxidant supplements.

Still, I would research these theories solidly before coming to any conclusions.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Happy2

Legend Member
I know my wife was breast feeding so it may be different but her 3 go to treatments were
Hot and cold compresses
regular hot showers
And epsom salt baths
Hope one of these is of help Tania

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
I believe men can suffer this also so it should not be in Ladies Things, we need a title and description for this board.

Wilde Amanda

Silver Member
Hi Tania' sorry to hear of your problem. Mastitis can be really painful. I had it when I was breast feeding. Cabbage leaves definitely help ease the burning. Get them cold straight from your fridge. Good luck A xo

AnnaBelle1996

Silver Member

If you are suffering, I believe you should see a GP. Mastitis can be a serious problem if left untreated. I wish you all the best !

granite

Silver Member
Just wondering if your mastitis cleared up?
Without wanting to be a doomsday merchant I would suggest go for a second opinion.
My late wife was told by a doctor her lump was mastitis and was hormonal due to her being pre menopausal.
She had the good sense to get a second opinion. And one week later it was in the bin, and six months later so was the other one.
And she did regular check ups.

T

Tania Admin

Just wondering if your mastitis cleared up?
Without wanting to be a doomsday merchant I would suggest go for a second opinion.
My late wife was told by a doctor her lump was mastitis and was hormonal due to her being pre menopausal.
She had the good sense to get a second opinion. And one week later it was in the bin, and six months later so was the other one.
And she did regular check ups.
I am much better in that department now, but I'm definitely planning on getting a re-check :)

Sorry to here about your wife :(