• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Mary-Anne The Old Chook Wants Chooks

MrBig

Diamond Member
I totally agree with you Happy2, but I didn't have to do the research so we are even....chuckle. I like the Rhode Island Red's the best, the Silkie's look like cats not chickens, so now i need to find a nice chicken coop for my two pairs of Rhode Island Reds.
Someone said that you get more bugs with chooks, surely the chooks eat the bugs.
They're good at eating grubs - keeping vegies safe - but they'll not keep the flying bugs at bay.

Happy2

Legend Member
I totally agree with you Happy2, but I didn't have to do the research so we are even....chuckle. I like the Rhode Island Red's the best, the Silkie's look like cats not chickens, so now i need to find a nice chicken coop for my two pairs of Rhode Island Reds.
Someone said that you get more bugs with chooks, surely the chooks eat the bugs.
Dont get silkies if you after meat Unless of course you want them as shock value for a dinner party
Black skin bones and flesh
black-chicken-550x362.jpg

T

Tania Admin

They can be susceptible to lice, mites, fleas and worms. One week a month add Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water. About 20ml to every litre. This helps with all internal parasites and overall general health.

Normally, the dust baths that chickens take in a dry patch of dirt or sand, preferably enhanced with some wood ash and food-grade diatomaceous earth, will keep them mite-free, but often in extremely hot and humid areas where mite populations flourish or during long periods of wet weather when the chickens might not have the opportunity to bathe, the mites will get the upper hand.

Sprinkle food-grade Diatomaceous Earth and fireplace ash in the dust bath area, on the floor of the coop and rub some into the roosts.
Feed hens raw minced garlic.
Spray hens with a 10% garlic juice/water solution.
Mix 1 Cup of cooking oil, 2 Cups of water and 1 T dishwashing liquid and spray coop interior.
Mix cooking oil and water and leave a bowl in your coop to 'trap' the mites.
Mix garlic juice, thyme and lavender essential oils into water (1/10 ratio oils/water)
(Poultry scientists found this mixture achieved a 100% kill rate over 24 hours)
Bay, cinnamon, clove, coriander or spearmint essential oils in water sprayed on the hens.

This also deters other pests :)

MrBig

Diamond Member
They can be susceptible to lice, mites, fleas and worms. One week a month add Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water. About 20ml to every litre. This helps with all internal parasites and overall general health.

Normally, the dust baths that chickens take in a dry patch of dirt or sand, preferably enhanced with some wood ash and food-grade diatomaceous earth, will keep them mite-free, but often in extremely hot and humid areas where mite populations flourish or during long periods of wet weather when the chickens might not have the opportunity to bathe, the mites will get the upper hand.

Sprinkle food-grade Diatomaceous Earth and fireplace ash in the dust bath area, on the floor of the coop and rub some into the roosts.
Mix 1 Cup of cooking oil, 2 Cups of water and 1 T dishwashing liquid and spray coop interior.
Mix garlic juice, thyme and lavender essential oils into water (1/10 ratio oils/water)
Bay, cinnamon, clove, coriander or spearmint essential oils in water sprayed on the hens.

Good job Tania. Suddenly running a few chooks seems like high maintenance.

Happy2

Legend Member

Time to dip the sheep soon Tania Want a job for a week
And would lavender be any good for my sheep or would you recommend rosemary oil and maybe some garlic oil a pinch of of pink lake salt , pepper Mmm I look forward to dipping the sheep next time

Miss Monique

Adelaide's original Plus Size Delight
Legend Member
Sounds like you are after good meat/laying breeds. I have chooks in my back garden 3 standards and 1 bantam. The bantams are cute but eggs are tiny. Plymouth rock and Faverolles are both great breeds. Plymouth rock easy to get and great layers. My girl lays as well as the hybrid chickens. Faverolles big docile birds lay every second day so still good for a pure breed and lovley nature but harder to find. All breeds will adapt to temperature and conditions. Just provide lots of shade and water.

Those hutches in the pic are no good they fall apart they are made of balsa wood like craft wood. I have had a couple of them they don't last long before falling apart. I have a small aviary they sleep in and a run off of that. My set up going strong after 2 years

Last edited:

Zara Daniels

Gold Member
Members I do not need rooster talk, what i wanted to find out was the best chooks for the weather in Darwin, the cleaniest, the prettiest and the tastiest, because if they don't lay eggs I'll cut their heads off and make chicken soup.
Stop hogging my thread.......

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!!... :smuggrin::D:smuggrin::D
oh my
the mad hatters gone mad and turned into the queen of hearts!!!

Attachments

• silkie-chickens--30013.jpg
    silkie-chickens--30013.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
  • f046494b_44102_chicken_chat_006.jpeg
    f046494b_44102_chicken_chat_006.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • e202cdc175452dc2edc8a0045dbad42f.jpg
    e202cdc175452dc2edc8a0045dbad42f.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg