• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
The lap top i am using in Canberra is one I bought for my mother in NZ and she never used, mine was dangerous Jason said. I took it to Perth and Jason set it up for me.
For some reason his or NZ the home page is set to AVG search which I hate with a vengeance
Now I am pretty dumb with the set ups but I want a patient member to instruct me how to change my home page to google. Remember I can't speak computer only simple directions I am an old woman..
I started this week on my own forum with no likes, and have just checked this box to find some of the members have liked my posts. It made me feel good, and it also made me interested to find out more about those particular members...so do take the time to click a like or two to make a members day feel a little more special.

Farm Boy 2

Legend Member
Maryanne if you can get any web crawler up type in the words

how to make google my homepage

I did this and some simple steps came up .

XX FB

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
I didn't think of that, I think I would prefer my forum soldiers to help me more personally.It makes people feel good if they can help another, I try to help a stranger every day.

johnlou

5 Star General
Foundation Member
MAK you need to tell us about your computer . pls answer these questions ,

are you using windows 7 or 8 ??
are you using Internet explorer, Google chrome , fire fox, or some other browser ??

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
windows 8 the yukky one, I use google chrome except my personal family facebook i use explorer

T

Thatguy

if google chrome look in the top right corner and click the icon that looks like 3 horizontal lines..

Capture.JPG

Click on Settings from the menu that pops up..

On the settings page, click the circle for:
- Open the new tab page

Bit further down under Appearance, where it says "New Tab Page Change"... click on change

Capture1.JPG

In the dialogue box which comes up, click circle for "open this page" and type in google's address...

Capture2.JPG

should sort it :)..

if your using firefox or internet explorer.... delete.. install chrome.. see above..

hehehe

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
I did it twice and niether time the dialogue box opened so i couldn't click circle for open page and then hit OK. any hints on why or is it just another windows stuff up with 8

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
Shivers me timbers I opened a new tab and I have google chrome. When I work out how to award trophies manually Thatguy remind me I owe you 20 trophy points.
I feel positively stimulated doing this for the first time myself..

sparky

Legend Member
I,ve printed out the pages and I am going to attempt right now

save paper use your phone take a pic of what you need then delete when done

I use my phone/camera for so much now instead of writing notes etc

Happy2

Legend Member
Do people ever hold a phone to their ear nowadays and just talk
Actually can you still talk into a mobile?

sparky

Legend Member
My phone is my mobile office now
I resisted for so long but now the more I use it the more I love it
I use the calendar and notes for so much, take pics of paper work and email them (same as scanning) I even take and make phone calls

Mrs Langtrees

Manager @ Langtrees
Foundation Member
I think the written word is more powerful. i use the phone often, but not a chit chatty person on the phone, whilst I like to be a bit chit chatty and frivolous on the forum.

HappyPirate

Old Pirate...
Legend Member
Ahoy;- Hmmmmm I think Mak turn into Pirate Girl;-
"Shivers me timbers
"

Shivers me timbers I opened a new tab and I have google chrome. When I work out how to award trophies manually Thatguy remind me I owe you 20 trophy points.
I feel positively stimulated doing this for the first time myself..

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Don't you just love Windows and its ever growing Bloatware. AVG search is BS. You need to go to Control Panel | Programs and Features. Highlight the bugger and hit uninstall like theres no tomorrow. Ok maybe just press it once. It will go away.

I don't know why people are still paying for viruses. While the free Operating system is not being used. E.g. Linux, it's FWEE...and virus free. Or if you got too much $$$, you can purchase a Mac book, or iMac. They are not as vulnerable as Windoze, loopholes everywhere. Spyware, malware find its way to your pc just by mousing over some raunchy ad banner.

Sexty8

Sexty8 - you do me , and then I owe you one!
Diamond Member
Don't you just love Windows and its ever growing Bloatware. AVG search is BS. You need to go to Control Panel | Programs and Features. Highlight the bugger and hit uninstall like theres no tomorrow. Ok maybe just press it once. It will go away.

I don't know why people are still paying for viruses. While the free Operating system is not being used. E.g. Linux, it's FWEE...and virus free. Or if you got too much $$$, you can purchase a Mac book, or iMac. They are not as vulnerable as Windoze, loopholes everywhere. Spyware, malware find its way to your pc just by mousing over some raunchy ad banner.

Whilst I agree generally on Macs and viruses it was disappointing to hear this just last month...

Apple said it will fix a bug "very soon" that allows hackers to spy on financial, email, and other personal data on its Mac desktop and notebook line-up.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant confirmed in an email to Reuters that it was aware of the issue and already has a software fix that will be released likely in the next few days.

homer

Doh!
Legend Member
Whilst I agree generally on Macs and viruses it was disappointing to hear this just last month...

Apple said it will fix a bug "very soon" that allows hackers to spy on financial, email, and other personal data on its Mac desktop and notebook line-up.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant confirmed in an email to Reuters that it was aware of the issue and already has a software fix that will be released likely in the next few days.

While that is true, Mac can be buggy. But it is not as vulnerable as Windows, you should know by know most viruses are written for Windows. Why? Because they are just so hackable. I've had friends who asked me if they should respond to phone calls from unknown companies telling them they have a virus on their pc and they can eradicate it for them for a small fee. And the scary thing is, they can tell from their end that my friend's pc has got virus and can tell my friend the make and model of pc and they got their phone number from details on their pc. So this company has illegally installed some spyware, malware on the pc. Sorry to say, the callers are mostly Indians. I told my friend it's time to reformat the hard disk and stop visting dodgy sites. And if the bugger calls again tell them to F the hell off.

In another case, I downloaded a freeware from a supposedly reliable website, installed it. And it also installed another software called Optimizer Pro, and also a messenger software. It strike my panic button within, I reformatted the hard disk and installed Linux instead. I don't play games, so it well suited my needs.

And also if a website is compromised, there is no warning sign. As soon as you load the website, the virus or spyware just gets into your Windows system. Antivirus software did not detect it.