• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Launch of the book 'The Scarlet Mile"

M

Mary Anne PA

Am posting some pics of the wonderful launch of the book that took 10 to fulfill by Elaine and was officially launched on April 22nd at 181 Kalgoorlie.

There was a great turnout, wonderful food put together by Julie of Kalgoorlie, and all the staff pulled out all stops and had a great night ready for everyone to enjoy.
See for yourselves.

Pictures - preparation of all the food to supply a feast for everyone. First time Julie has catered for a large crowd and did an excellent job. Well done julie.

Attachments

• wotscookin.jpg
    wotscookin.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 17
M

Mary Anne PA

Music entertainment for the evening was Alfredo, the piano player and what a treat he was.

Absolutely magnificant, people didn't even realize when he was playing as it was so perfect in comparison to Cd's, radio etc. The voice... what a voice, especially when he sang a couple of Italian songs for me. CARUSO is something I have to go check after hearing Alfredo sing it......
like a knife piercing the heart......... sent me soaring to heaven.. lol.
anyway, I gather you get the gist of what I mean..... everyone... and I mean everyone raved on about him... so if you ever get a chance.. go see this man.. his repertoire is extensive, if you need someone for a function, this is your man!!!

Attachments

• alfredo1.jpg
    alfredo1.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 17
  • alfredo2.jpg
    alfredo2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 17
  • alfredo.jpg
    alfredo.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 16
M

Mary Anne PA

speeches during the evening, first one being the author.

2nd one being Alison from UWA Press

3rd one being John Bowler the Labor Minister

must point out also, they are some of the nicest people you can find around. Thanks for all your input.

Attachments

• author.jpg
    author.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
  • alison.jpg
    alison.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 14
  • barry.jpg
    barry.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mary Anne PA

Before I forget too would like to point out to the main man who put a lot of effort to get this night together starting quite a while before the event. Danny of langtrees had lots of sleepless nights worrying about everything working and getting it all organised and the event I believe turned out so well thanks to his efforts, then following all those who added to it like UWA Press, all the staff at 181 who worked those long hours to make sure all went well also.... well done guys.

M

Mary Anne PA

Janice from UWA Press with the book 'Ther Scarlet Mile' ready for presentation and sales on the evening.

Attachments

• janice.jpg
    janice.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 16
M

Mary Anne PA

Birthday girl Alisha who celebrated it on the night at the launch, Here she is dressed up in costume from an earlier year in prostitution

Attachments

• birthdaygirl.jpg
    birthdaygirl.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 17

kim of kal

Foundation Member
Yes Julie did a excellent job, the food was very tastey indeed. :headbang:
Also to Sharon a big thanks for all of her organization for the big night and the rest of the staff that helped out, all did a wonderful job.
Everybody that came to the book launch all had a great time, as did Elaine herself.

Anyone that is interested in the book " The Scarlet Mile " we are selling them in the gift shop at Langtrees 181 Kalgoorlie. So please come in and pick up your very own copy you will not be dissappointed. :D

M

Mary Anne PA

The lovely Alison and Alisha dressed in period costume for the evening and what lovely tarts... ooops I meant ladies they turned out also... They are under the guidance of the day manager Sharon at kalgoorlie, so I am sure she will keep them in line for all the old miners that come in from the gold diggings at the end of the day..... in the saloon..

Some of the miners who turned up actually were so blind, they thought they were seeing double.

Attachments

• dancerws.jpg
    dancerws.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 16
  • dancerws.jpg
    dancerws.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 15
  • dancers1.jpg
    dancers1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 15
M

Mary Anne PA

front of the club and the ladies that never sleep and are on call and available all day and night at the front doors... I believe the famous Trixie is there amongst them as well

Attachments

• fronty.jpg
    fronty.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 15
  • doorladies.jpg
    doorladies.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 14
M

Mary Anne PA

Lady in blue - Trixie
Lady in Black
lady in red.....
such choices they have up at 181 Langtrees kalgoorlie and don;t they look classy as well.

Attachments

• trixie.jpg
    trixie.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 14
  • trixiefriend1.jpg
    trixiefriend1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 14
  • trixiesfriend.jpg
    trixiesfriend.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 14
M

Mary Anne PA

One of the gold diggers coming in looking for a treat and trying to charm a fancy wench by the looks of it...
did he get to have his way with her I wonder?

Attachments

• miner2.jpg
    miner2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 11
  • miner.jpg
    miner.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 11
  • minerandpro.jpg
    minerandpro.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 12
  • minerfront.jpg
    minerfront.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 12
M

Mary Anne PA

some of the staff at 181 Langtrees enjoying the evening

Attachments

• sharon.jpg
    sharon.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 12
  • receptionist.jpg
    receptionist.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 12
  • leigh.jpg
    leigh.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 12
M

Mary Anne PA

Madam Leigh and Maryanne Kenworthy

Attachments

• madams.jpg
    madams.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 13
  • speech.jpg
    speech.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 13
M

Mary Anne PA

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of visiting 181 Langtrees kalgoorlie to see the beautiful premises or have a tour, here are some pics of the outside area where nearly all the walls surrounding it is painted absolutely beautifully. It's serene and great to sit there and look around you at the artistry everywhere, very peaceful as well. Great place for functions. has a pool, sauna and 2 spa's.

Attachments

• outside1.jpg
    outside1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 11
  • outside2.jpg
    outside2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 11
  • outside3.jpg
    outside3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 11
  • outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 11
M

Mary Anne PA

couples of pics I nearly missed... the plaques that were dedicated to Mona Maxwell, a kalgoorlie miner Lenny and Dorrie Flatman. Also some party pics as well. and some dancing going on.

Attachments

• party3.jpg
    party3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 12
  • party1.jpg
    party1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 12
  • party.jpg
    party.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 12
  • plaques.jpg
    plaques.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 12
M

Mary Anne PA

so keep an eye out for the book. Some have been lucky enough to get signed autgraphed copies.

It can be ordered direct from the website of UWAPress

CLICK HERE TO SEE

Then it happened that so great a noise was spread abroad by the lucrative traffic in vice in the Cities of the Desert, that whole hordes of immoral women descended upon our shores...And they use all their vicious beauty and accursed arts to cause men to gaze upon them, and to stir up evil passions within their breasts.

These are not the words of an Old Testament prophet but those of a Western Australian newspaper in 1897.

Yet while the 'scarlet women'– the 'harlots' of the goldfields– were vilified and demonised in print, they were welcomed with open arms by lonely men living in the tent citites of the desert during the gold rush. That welcome continues to this day, and Kalgoorlie's red-light precinct has become one of its most famous tourist attractions.

The Scarlet Mile is a compelling and fascinating social history of prostitution in Kalgoorlie, where the local brothels and the police station have shared the same street for more than a century.

About the author

Elaine McKewon was born in New Orleans in 1966 and backpacked solo around Australia before completing an Honours degree in Geography at The University of Western Australia in 1993. She has since worked in local and state government agencies while publishing academic articles and discussion papers on prostitution. Her comments on law reform have often been featured in newspapers, on radio and on television news and current affairs programs, including ABC Television's Stateline. Elaine is currently working on a Masters in History at UWA.

Attachments

• Scarlet-Mile_web.jpg
    Scarlet-Mile_web.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 12