Information on Computer Jargon Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Over the last 6 months I have been learning how to use the tools of a computer and learning to manage my web sites, emails etc myself.
I have my sites hosted on Webair in America.
Just recently the sub domains on Langtrees.com stopped working. I think they used to be managed on our Perth server and as I changed over to the Webair server they stopped.
I am trying to learn howe to get them going again.
I got this reply from a request from webair
I can setup the subdomains but those needs to be pointed to folder not to URL. is that ok so you can redirect it?
What is the difference of a folder to a URL.
Any help and advise will be appreciated.

N

Naughty Thoughts

In case that email hasn't arrived yet (and in case someone else is curious) a folder is a section within your site, a URL is the address to get to the site.

If I have site.com and I want a subdomain on there, you just create the subdomain in the administrative section of the site. If you make subdomain.site.com then usually you'll see a folder in your site (something like www/htdocs/subdomain - will vary depending on your host).

An add-on domain is similar. If I have addon.com without any hosting, you can create a folder in site.com and then point addon.com to the folder in site.com - so the add on is a part of site.com from your point of view, but from visitors point of view it's an independent site.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Lonestar you are a legend, how about dinner next Thursday so you can make me understand all that computer talk.Purdey invited as well.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I had dinner out tonight with Lone Road.
I learnt more about a computer tonight in four hours than I hae committed to memory in the last 20 years.
I intend to start some new threads as some of the info may help the not so advanced users and understanders of computers like me.
This will have to wait a few days as i need my beauty sleep, and to be up bright and early to do all my homework from tonights lessons.
By the way the dinner was very nice, I hae discoered a nice Italian Restuarant on the corner of Glebe Point Road called
Cucina di Lusso. I can highly recommend this place, tonight was my fourth visit....I got around to trying the Gnoockie...OK I can't spell....it was the best I have tasted.
Still can't find the correct spelling maybe a member can post it up for me.
Sleep Well

M

Mary Anne PA

Gnocchi - it's an italian speciality dish we used to have on very rare occasions.
Used to help my mum make it by boiling lots of potatoes, mashing them through a sieve and adding flour and milk and I think egg from memory rolling it out and cutting thin strips, slicing into small bits and rolling the fork on the top to give the indents.
beautiful if done correct.
I have it often at restaurants if I think it is home made and proper

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
Ok I need to see which is the correct spelling of this important pasta dish. Maybe both versions are correct, come on members post your thoughts, is it gnocci from aussielids, or Gnocchi from Serena our information Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.