Did I really save???

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Just got back home after what seemed like eternity trying to fill up the car, reality is that it took me over 30 minutes to be served just because the station I went to had feul at 12c litre cheaper then the others.

Total savings about $12 but did I really save considering the amount of time it took??

Another time I tried to change my own battery but ended up loosing the bits that hold the battery in place.

Has anybody ever tried to save themselves some money but have it end up costing more in the end??

W

WRXXR

I cant see any value driving to a petrol station out of your way and waiting 30minutes for a $12 saving.

I use BP around the corner regardless of price or what day it is. All about convenience.

Changing the battery shouldn't be too hard :p

I used to do a bit of DIY around the house / cars to save some coin but 90% of the time i'd stuff up and need to bring in the pro's, thus making it an even more costly exercise!

Last edited by a moderator:

whilom

Whilom
Gold Member
That's like driving 20 k to buy an item on discount and find it was only $10 less than the retailer around the corner.

Ever notice that however good your bargain was there will always be someone that got it cheeeeper.

Happy2

Legend Member
c'mon WRXXR you cant pick on bb for not being able to change a car battery
Look at any car built later than 2000 Take it in for a service and you are often greeted by a technician in a white lab coat and clipboard They are getting just a touch past the backyard mechanic now.
And as for DIY you should then add CAP call a professsional to fix up the mess you made whilst trying to save a few bucks

Last edited:
F

Farm Boy

It was a battery H2, B Bones lost the clamp, now if he reversed the polarity that would B a F up.

svengali

Foundation Member
Yep, modern cars have gone way beyond backyard experts. I used to do my own tuneups, multimeter, timing light, the works, but my present ride has so many computers under its bonnet it is smarter than me.

Upside is that it is pretty rare for anything to go wrong.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
heheheheheeee....modern cars OMG.....they are more like high tec computers. My parents had a problem with their brand new VW. The bloody thing died in front of every red traffic light informing us that the engine was too hot (???????????????????????????? hang on after only 2 mins driving?????????????) So dad had to take it to the garage and all it needed was a new chip. Nothing wrong with the engine.....only a chip that informed the car computer that it is too hot had to be exchanged..........grrrrrrrrr......guess that is why I love old cars (20 years +)
However....back to the topic.......waste of time and petrol to drive through the city to save a few cents on gas. If we really want to bring a point across we should push bike. :thumbsup:

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Onwithit

nights are a waste of time
Gold Member
Hi Guys, Svengali, Pocket..
Modern cars aren't so bad, they are still just Nuts and Bolts but a little bit more delicate and precise because of their inbuilt computer program and engine peripherals/accessories that virtually, constantly do tune-ups for you but the important things are that Car computers can be diagnosed with small hand held computers that give Diagnostic Codes (they can be bought on EBay) to figure out what is wrong & most work on the OBD2 & CAN software..
You just have to know your car inside out and do a lot of technical reading to understand the terms and what all the engine sensors do, you’ll get it eventually. I think It’s fun & you’ll always be one step in front of any rip-off repairer guy.
You can still do your own tinkering it's just high tech now.