• Langtrees.com will start paid advertising on the 12th April this year. (my mothers birthday) Wallet balances will still remain if logged in the last month. Advertisers that have not logged in wallets will be reduced to zero.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
I have had blood pressure for a few years and was hoping to avoid the daily tablet.
Last night it hit 191/113. Tina dobbed me in I had made an appointment for my doctor for Thursday, but Sue found out and the option was go to emergency or she was going to call an ambulance. The bloody internet isn't always helpful.
Just tested today and 152/95 going to try to remember to post each day and watch it come down.
I am working hard on the exercise as this is the number one thing to bring down my blood pressure and the my slightly high cholesterol.
Yes the Dr did mention the smoking, and said the coffee only has a small effect. Coffee down to three a day. Once I have mastered the weight, and the fitness I will then try to tackle the smoking.My daughter thinks I should be able to give them all up together.....she doesn't realize my business will suffer to much, I'm a witch now, giving up smoking at work turns me into a real BBBBBB.

L

Langtrees VIP 6

Maryanne, I have to say that you are at least making an effort towards your health as most people are just happy to be on medications for any health problems. The scary thing is, most of our health problems come from not doing anything towards better health and staying on medication for long periods.

I’m not a doctor but I have no doubt in my mind that the steps you are taking now set at your own pace and tolerance will be life changing and lasting. We all have a number of health issues but it’s important not to give up everything at once, cause as you have said yourself no one wants to see how scary someone can be when there are at their limits..lol One thing at a time..

I also have to say that I have really enjoyed this health kick you have set for us. At 40 years old I’m looking forward to looking and being my best. I still have to give up smoking but getting my fitness and eating habits to the point where I don’t have to think about it is my priority than when I have that under control ill focus on stopping smoking. I feel motivated just knowing I have a plan..

sparky

Legend Member
I found the easy way was when I gave up smoking I started to exercise, then as I got fitter I realized I couldn't go back to smoking as I knew I wouldnt be able to keep up the exercise as well as I was now breathing so much better and not getting short of breath. Quitting smoking was possibly the hardest thing ive done and it really took about 6 years to not want one again, now I cant stand the smell of them and when I go for a "visit" and smell cigarette smoke i'll either ask to see someone else or not visit this girl again.
The funny thing with smoking is the cost of it, if ppl are asked to spend the amount they spend on cigarettes to make them feel better they baulk at the cost but willingly spend the same amount to help kill themselves quicker.
Well done on the start of the journey tho :)

Fudd

Foundation Member
Early last year, I experienced a burst blood vessel in my left eye. The surgeon advised me that it was because of my smoking & high blood pressure. To say it put the wind up me is an understatement. In June, I went to see my doctor and was prescribed Champix. I spent the next 3 months on these and they helped me kick smoking. It's coming up to a year and whilst it was a bit hard going, I haven't had a cigarette since.

Unfortunately, my weight ballooned. I anticipated that and 3 months ago I purchased a treadmill and started a diet as I didn't want to stop smoking & diet at the same time. In 10 weeks I managed to drop 10 Kgs & have just about shed the weight I put on after I stopped smoking.

My advice is to work out a plan and work with it. Oh, and my blood pressure dropped significantly too. :)

BigMike

Gold Member
Just over a year ago a voice in my brothers head told him to stop smoking, eat more veggies, quit red meat and run every single day. And that's what he has done. He is bi-polar schizophrenic. I guess that's kind of.... a silver lining :\
The voices and delusions aren't always this helpful!

svengali

Foundation Member
Mary-Anne a "faggin' dragon" :eek:???

C'mon, you are smarter than that surely?

Ditching those things would be the biggest single step you could take towards improving your health and once you get over the withdrawal symptoms you will wonder why you did it for so long. Just take a couple of weeks off from work if you are worried about strangling someone there.

My late father stopped after 35 years because, in his own words "I don't want it to become a habit". If he could, you can. Maybe try the Charles De Gaull system. He was known to be a very proud ( some would say arrogant ) man so when he decided to quit he simply announced it to his cabinet. He stubbed out his fag and said "gentlemen, that is the last time you will see me smoking". His own pride wouldn't let him back away from that.

Ms Sue

Legend Member
I do agree that giving up smoking, losing weight and also exercising is way too much in one hit.....
So do a plan and I am sure we can all help you along the way....
But when you are about to give up smoking please let me know so I can book a holiday ( lol).....
Maybe speak to Tania because she gave up and if I remember correctly she didn't find it that hard....
The benefits of giving up smoking
Another resource that may help keep you motivated is the "Within 20 Minutes of Quitting" poster from the US Centre’s for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 20 minutes after quitting: your heart rate drops.
12 hours after quitting: carbon monoxide in your blood drops to normal.
2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: your heart attack risk begins to drop; your lung function begins to improve.
1 to 9 months after quitting: your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
1 year after quitting: your added risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
5 years after quitting: your stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker's 5 - 15 years after quitting.
10 years after quitting: your lung cancer death rate is about half that of a smoker's; your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases.
15 years after quitting: your risk of coronary heart disease is back to that of a non-smoker's.
I am glad that you are on top of this

Ms Sue

xoxox

C

colzilla

I'm addicted to $pending my money on $ex worker$ and $tripper$... I$ there a cure for it?

DDxoxo

Live, Love & Believe
Legend Member
OH MY GOD!
When Maryanne starts her campaign on giving up smoking,
I can see it will flow through the rest of the team... which will be a good thing!

But trust me, there will be blood split & dead bodies along the way!
I think a full on GIVE UP SMOKING through the office will be tremendous...

But I CANNOT see Miss SUE or Madam RAYE ever stopping !
Its their tension releaser!!!!

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
When this time comes, I am going to see my sister in ITALY ...
I don't think their screams can be heard THAT far.....

Happy2

Legend Member
It is a long time dead But only a short time in withdrawal
I gave up when I was thirty So nigh on 20 yrs But I gave up and organised for a mate & I to quit together
We put money in to a jar What we usually spent a week on cigs + $5 a day every day The person who fell off the faggin wagon
had to hand his jar of cash to the other We went 2 years So spent the money stored on a holiday
Well it worked for us Money is often harder to give away than a vice

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
My main doctor said it was more important to get fit and then tackle the smoking, and with our new speed fitness routine I am doing 9 hours gym work out a week and only have to spend 1-2 hours doing it.

C

Contrarian

From the little my ex-smoking colleagues have told me - they all feel ill for almost 3 weeks. This is partly caused by withdrawal systems but the other thing apparently, the body is purging itself of all that nicotine buildup and the cough can be pretty bad not to mention flu-like symptoms.

Langtrees VIP Perth 3

Diamond Member
MaryAnne I so agree. It is far better for your health to deal with one issue at a time. I like you am a smoker. Not something I am proud of.
I have recently had some health issues (not smoking related). I discussed with my doctor about dealing with my smoking addiction during this time but was strongly advised against it.
It appears that when you stop smoking your body goes into a state of shock for a short time. With the issues I was dealing with my body would not stand the stress.
So for me your encouragement to exercise has been a god send. I am really enjoying it and looking forward to seeing results soon. Best of all I know this will help when it is time to make that transition to becoming a non-smoker. I will be the master of my own body xx

C

colzilla

Contrarian I don't mind a durry every now and then. Gives me a head spin. I no longer know any smokers so can't bum one and I'm f##ked if I'm going to buy a packet.

C

Contrarian

Contrarian I don't mind a durry every now and then. Gives me a head spin. I no longer know any smokers so can't bum one and I'm f##ked if I'm going to buy a packet.

If you want to bum them, it's no surprise you don't know any smoking friends Col! Not everyone is into anal sex. :D

sparky

Legend Member
MaryAnne I so agree. It is far better for your health to deal with one issue at a time. I like you am a smoker. Not something I am proud of.
I have recently had some health issues (not smoking related). I discussed with my doctor about dealing with my smoking addiction during this time but was strongly advised against it.

Of course the doc doesn't want to fix all your ills in one hit. Where's the repeat business in doing that, doctors and drug companies don't want healthy people they want alive people it is in their interests to keep you alive as long as they can in an unhealthy state.

Fudd

Foundation Member
...as far as wanting to throttle someone when giving up, I was thankful to my doc for prescribing me Champix. It took the edge off so I wasn't as much of a sociopath as what I could have been had I gone cold turkey. As for patches tried them once and I just developed rashes over my body and experienced vivid/disturbing dreams.

I decided to tackle the smoking first because (a) of that eye problem (b) smoking retards the effectiveness of your fitness regime & (c) chances are that one puts on weight after quitting. It was after 9 mths without a cigarette that I was comfortable to tackle my weight gain. As I said previously, I have shed most of the weight gain. I still have more to shed but have taken a break for the moment!

Good luck with whatever approach you choose..... :)

Happy2

Legend Member
...yep....it's called bankruptcy!

Doesn't cure the addiction Fudd Just makes you look elsewhere for your fix Join the beggars out the front of HJ's in William st
Will do token work in exchange for punting funds On a cardbord notice around ones neck

C

Contrarian

Mary-Anne, didn't you once say you'd like to keep dogs? If so, this could be the opportunity - when there are two dogs bugging you to go out for a walk, you have little excuse to cop out on the exercise.

If you do go ahead, I'd suggest the local city dog pounds are a good place to start though I'm a fan of the Shenton Park Dog Refuge myself.

It's a great website with small, medium and large dog cat(or should that be dog?)egories.

Mrs Langtrees

Owner & Creator
Foundation Member
No you have got the wrong person, I am not an animal person, I don;t dislike them, just they are hard work to look after properly.

Happy2

Legend Member
No you have got the wrong person, I am not an animal person, I don;t dislike them, just they are hard work to look after properly.

Cant be any harder than controlling the girls and guests in the lounge Surely MAK ?

Tannerone

Gold Member
I gave up smoking 15 years ago when I has to have an operation. The anaesthetist asked if I wanted a full anaesthetic or an epidural, and on asking what he recommended, he asked if I was a smoker. When I replied "Yes". he said that I had an 80% better survival rate with an epidural.

I decided on an epidural and thew my three-quarers full packet away. I haven't smoked since and never had any withdrawal symptoms. It has also not bothered me being in a room with smokers, which was rather surprising, and I haven't put on any weight.

R

Raye@Langtrees

OH MY GOD!
When Maryanne starts her campaign on giving up smoking,
I can see it will flow through the rest of the team... which will be a good thing!

But trust me, there will be blood split & dead bodies along the way!
I think a full on GIVE UP SMOKING through the office will be tremendous...

But I CANNOT see Miss SUE or Madam RAYE ever stopping !
Its their tension releaser!!!!

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
When this time comes, I am going to see my sister in ITALY ...
I don't think their screams can be heard THAT far.....

DD youre wrong my darling I would love to give up, but as you say the tension, and pressure to run a business is high, a small smoke easers the pain. HaHa. And girl when you go to Italy you be taking me with you lol..

T

Tania Admin

I gave up smoking a few years ago and stopped for 2 years...
Then I started again, I KNOW, SO STUPID! :BangHead:
Last year I quit for 3 months and then started again :(
Both times I used Champix but it did make my head feel funny and the dreams were horrific.
It's a hard battle and I don't like the health issues, the smell and it doesn't look to nice either,,,let alone what it costs.
I am determined I want to knock the smoking demon :evil1: on the head. For my benefit and for those around me too.
It's not easy and I have given the end of this month as D Day. I'm mentally preparing myself and throwing myself into exercise more to help fight the cravings. When I am craving that bad and getting edgy I will do a set of weights or go for a walk....I Can Do This! We All Can Do This....
But yes please Mary-Anne, go away for the first couple of weeks, please don't take offense, the first time I quit my kids were away for 2 weeks, made it heaps easier, for them and for me. lol

Perhaps we can make a Quit Smoking sticky thread so when we are craving we can get on there and have a rant, cry, scream etc and have our Forum Family support team?