A moment in time...

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Maybe it`s because I`m unusual but I simply love watching old movies and looking at old photo`s of times gone by.

I keep thinking to myself, what must it have been like to grow up in the early 20th century. What was it like to only have a horse and carraige and have to travel on dusty tracks just to get somewhere or I wonder how the Perth city looked when trams used to run up and down the main street.
To have been around then and still around now the mind would be absolutely boggling with all these changes. I can still vaguely remember when what is known as Kardinya and Winthrop was nothing but pine trees where my brother and I used to build cubby houses.

Was it better to grow up early in the century or in the 60`s or is it better now??
If you could turn back the hand of time when would you go back to?? When do you think was the best era??

B

BigBlackCock

Have a read of three books - one is called "Daphne Street" by Geoffrey Robertson. He grew up in the street in North Perth and actually researched the history of EVERY household there when the houses were first built. Very sobering indeed but very colourful in character.

The second book is called Stories Down Suburban Road by Tom Hungerford, sadly a now very frail ex-editor of the West Australian and Daily News. He grew up in the Vic Park/South Perth area when Mill Point Road was called Suburban Road I think. He actually talks of market gardens along the South Perth foreshore etc.

The third book is a particularly good one, also written by a (now) ex-ABC journalist; Bill Bunbury. It's called Reading Labels on Jam Tins. I'll leave you to conclude as to how he arrived at the title but it's a SUPERB read of early WA/Perth life.

One of my pastimes is restoring antiques. I've recently restored two Metters Kooka stoves. I'm particularly fond of the history behind Metters. They had only 3 factories in Australia - Victoria, South Australia and here in Perth - West Leederville. The West Leederville building still stands.

These aren't my stoves but I thought I'd upload a couple for those who don't know about them or wanted to reminisce.

Attachments

• 9087_3.jpg
    9087_3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 4
B

BigBlackCock

By the way, all 3 books have been around long enough for you to buy at second hand bookstores or borrow from libraries if you don't want to go brand new.

B

BigBlackCock

Another pic of the cooker called a kooka

Attachments

• object.jpg
    object.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 3

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Thanks BBC... I will have to see if I can get hold of a copy of each of the books, it sounds like it they would be a great read.
It would also nice be to sit and listen to some older generations stories.
My late step father once wrote a book on the History of Fremantle for the town library but sadly I havn`t found any copies. I asked them once if they still had thier copy but nobody seemed to be able to help.

billybones

Thrillseeker
Legend Member
Tried Ebay just after I posted my last reply... getting 2/3 so far... Seems they are published local. Again thank you...

Miss Delights

Diamond Member
OMG!! A man after my own heart... I soo think I am from the wrong era.. & that all this technology cramps my simple style... have soo many old movies & loves my old tunes..like nat king cole & louis ect.. Yes Yes I completely agree. I think the 30's or 40's would have been the best to be born in unlike the late 80's for me. :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

B

BigBlackCock

Dylan, are you a fan of Curtin 100.1 FM? Great station and even when I'm travelling - once in a while I log on to the website and listen to the "Rockin' Rev" at night.

If you're not a fan, I'd daresay you'd enjoy the station given your musical tastes.

Happy2

Legend Member
BBC & Billybones Just about any Bill Bunbury book is available at ABC Shops. They may be on back order though.
He is still writing i believe and you used to be able to buy recordings of his radio programmes as well if I am not mistaken. He used to have a show/segment on ABC Radio national

B

BigBlackCock

I asked about Labels at the ABC shop once and was told they don't stock it anymore. I guess they've got so many new books/DVDs to display. I know Bill personally but much as I'd like to see his books sell, I think parting with money for 3 books brand new can be a bit of an ask when they're available freely at the libraries or close to new at the secondhand bookstores.

Rochelle

Forum & Langtrees.com Administrator
Staff member
Legend Member
Guess I should have been born between 1895 and 1900 so I would have been in my twenties between 1920 and 1930. Berlin was THE place to be back then.....an European centre for art, culture, politics, architecture, huge gay and lesbian scene........you name it....it used to be all there (before the NAZIS took over and turned it in to a conservative backwards country town) and with an international flair like no other European city at the time.
SIGH......I think I would have loved it back in the day.

R.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

B

BigBlackCock

I would loved to have been at Woodstock. Too young and in the wrong country.

B

BigBlackCock

Not a hijack but of some relevance I guess. Here's Rolling Stone Magazine's compiled list of 50 moments that changed the history of rock and roll.

-Elvis Presley cuts "Thats All Right" at Sun Studio.
1955/1960
-Chess Records goes from Chicago blues to Rock & Roll.( Chuck Berry)
-Brill Building churns out chart-topping Sixties Pop.
-Marvin, Sumpremes and Stevie on the Motortown Revue.
1962/1963
-James Brown sweats out a week at the Apollo.
-The Kingsmen recorn garage-rock anthem.
1963/1964
-Phil Spector builds his Wall of Sound on "Be My Baby".
-Sam Cooke cuts "A Change Is Gonna Come"
-The Who explode in pill-popping mod London
-One Sunday in Newport signaled the end of the folk scene and energized rock(Dylan's electric kiss-off)
-Jim Morrison and the Doors push boundaries in L.A.
-The San Francisco acid scene becomes America's freak-flag capitol
1966/1967
-Beach Boy suffers breakdown, makes "Pet Sounds"
-The Summer of Love turns on,tunes in and drops out.
-Aretha Franklin visits Muscle Shoals, Alabama.
-"Sgt. Pepper" redefines what a rock album could be.
1967/1968
-New stars are born at Monterey Pop Festival(Otis & Hendrix)
-Crosby, Stills, and Nash sing in Joni Mitchell's living room
-Woodstock brings together the hippie nation
-Free Rolling Stones concert becomes hell on earth
-Stones masterpiece crawls from the South of France(Exile)
-David Bowie's first persona launches the glam-rock era
1973/1975
-Their America tour kicks off the age of arena rock(Zeppelin)
-Twenty songs in seventeen minutes, and puck is born(Ramones)
-Live London recording makes him a global star(Marley)
-His breakout five-night stand at the Bottom Line(Springsteen)
-Dylan, Clapton say goodbye at Thanksgiving concert.
-Sex Pistols, Clash lead London punk revolt
1976/1977
-George Clinton leads P-Funk party across America
-Fleetwood Mac's ultimate Seventies rock album.
-Dance music swarms the pop charts on its way to taking over the world
-The world mourns the death of John Lennon.
1981/1983
-Pretty boys like Duran Duran are the first video stars(MTV)
-Dance move makes "Thriller" the biggest album ever
1983/1984
-All their cash goes to filming the breakthrough concert(US)
-Her writhing at the VMA's causes a commotion(Madonna)
-Guns n' Roses take over the Los Angeles metal scene.
-Live Aid:Sixty stars, two continents, $40 million raised.
-Beastie Boys, Run-DMC team up for landmark tour
1989/1991
-"Straight Outta Compton" launches gangsta rap
-Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" remakes rock
-The war between Tupac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G. begins with words and escalates to tragedy.
1996/1997
-"OK Computer" is the sound of rock falling apart
-Lilith Fair crowns the era of female singer-songwriters
-Eminem's alter ego lays down "My Name Is"
-File-sharing service spawns the MP3 revolution.
-Riding the crest, 'Nsync sell 2 million CDs in a week
-The music world responds to the tragedy of 9/11
-Entire CD collections get up and go on the iPod
-The Bonnaroo Festival creates utopia for a weekend.